Poll: Can you hear sound over 20kHz?
Sep 12, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #286 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by machoboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There's just a complete hole from 17k through just below 21 then it comes back for 1000hz clear as a bell, very strange.

Do you also hear it at different sample rates, like 48 and 96 kHz ? It could be intermodulation distortion with the ultrasonic mirror frequency as you approach half the sample rate.

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #287 of 551
Quote:
After more sine tones and sweeps, I can hear down to 1 hz but only up to 17 khz...

At very low frequencies and high volume, you may just hear distortion from the drivers.

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #288 of 551
Quote:
There have been studies where they rolled off upper frequencies in music and polled listeners to find out 1) if they could tell the frequencies were missing, and 2) if it made a difference to the music. The results were that although listeners could tell if everything above 10kHz was rolled off, but they said it didn't affect sound quality. Above 14kHz, they couldn't tell at all.
The frequency range is not an even scale. It doubles with each octave. So the difference between 20Hz and 40Hz is exactly the same as the difference between 10,000 Hz and 20,000 Hz. When you are talking about the difference between 20kHz and 21.5 kHz, you are talking about a single note's difference on a piano. 15kHz to 20kHz is four notes.
If you are "feeling" a high frequency note by turning up the volume, you aren't necessarily *hearing* that note. Everyone can feel sound pressure from inaudible frequencies if they're loud enough.
The middle of the frequency range is what matters. Don't worry about the stuff only bats can hear.

Seems like what people say if they can't hear to 20 kHz and beyond.  Sour grapes.  
biggrin.gif

Nah, I'm pretty sure part of my top-octave hearing has been absent since I was a kid, since I remember having to go to an audiologist after the test at the pediatrician's office came up unusual.  I don't really remember, and it's not like they told me the details.  Now I can't hear much past 12 kHz clearly, but I'm not sure if the range is less or the same as it used to be.

Maybe to compensate, I have decent absolute ("perfect") pitch in the range remaining, though...

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #290 of 551
I think the point it to test how high up you can hear (especially regarding the supposed 20khz limit to human hearing).

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #291 of 551
I don't think people here actually hear that high. I think they're turning up the volume until they feel the sound pressure. That isn't hearing.

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #292 of 551
Quote:
I don't think people here actually hear that high. I think they're turning up the volume until they feel the sound pressure. That isn't hearing.

Well we all have the right to our own opinion. I can tell the difference between feeling and hearing. I'm not deaf :wink:. Plus there's nothing new with people having better hearing than others. Same applies to vision.

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #293 of 551

If this feeling is transmitted by the auditory nerve, then it is hearing.

Maybe the poll should be revised to include a specific volume threshold.

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #294 of 551
Sound pressure isn't transmitted by the auditory nerve. It is physical pressure on the inner ear.

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #295 of 551
Quote:
If this feeling is transmitted by the auditory nerve, then it is hearing.
Maybe the poll should be revised to include a specific volume threshold.

The point is, your hearing is going to start rolling off in the high treble. Probably well before 20kHz. It's not like a hard cut-off, so by turning up the volume, yes you can hear higher and higher.

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #296 of 551
Sound pressure isn't transmitted by the auditory nerve. It is physical pressure on the inner ear.

I didn't say it was.

The point is, your hearing is going to start rolling off in the high treble. Probably well before 20kHz. It's not like a hard cut-off, so by turning up the volume, yes you can hear higher and higher.

Yup, familiar with the curve.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #297 of 551
Using my iPhone 4 along with my GR01's and a tone generator app i can hear from about 22hz to about 18khz. This is with the volume set to the half way mark for the whole test. Im sure if i turned the volume up i could hear a tad lower and maybe a tad higher, and this of course also shows the frequency response of the GR01 as well.  Also im 27 and i think i have been pretty good to my ears, nothing to loud for to long, and i wear ear plugs when i cut the lawn and do other loud things.

Sep 18, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #299 of 551
Sep 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #300 of 551
Quote:
It would be better to use a sine generator, I think. Some of these tests don't work as claimed, or have distortion or artifacts that can ruin the results. With a sine generator you know you're getting the frequency that's advertised, they're designed for testing.

I have this and can hear up to 17.5 kHz , male age 22.

You are not legally deaf at 16 kHz. Where is your source for that? 16 kHz+ holds very little meaningful sound, and is completely useless for communication which I think would define legal deafness.

Using Head's sine generator I was able to hear up to 17.1 kHz, male age 31

Users who are viewing this thread

Back