Pioneer SE-A1000 (Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)
Jul 1, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #31 of 1,082
Grrr. 
smile.gif

I almost wanted to hear that they were, though I had a feeling somebody would have mentioned it already if it were the case.

Now I've always been a little suspect of Headphone Info's measurements, both because of their methodology (e.g. not paying attention to anything below 100 Hz, scoring the response on a non-weighted average deviation from their target curve) and because their plots look a lot peakier than even the unsmoothed results from places like HeadRoom and InnerFidelity. So when I look at those plots in the OP, I know to take them with a grain of salt. That said, there's a pretty distinct peak in the 5-6kHz region for the SE-A1000. I'm very sensitive to peaks in this area, which is where snare drums and the lower frequency components of cymbals and sibilance live, and which is where many low-end IEMs have a spike in order to give the illusion of clarity. Is there any hint of harshness or edginess that might correspond to what appears in those measurements?

EDIT: I found this review while searching:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/headphone-gear/64864-pioneer-se-a1000-top-line-audio-headphone-review.html

I haven't read it yet, but it includes measurements. Just thought it might add to the thread.

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #32 of 1,082
Quote:
I'm desperately trying to come up with a justification for buying these, since of course I want them after reading all this. The best thing I can come up with so far is watching movies. As much as I love my current headphones, neither is really suited to this. An easy to drive, open headphone with prodigious bass extension seems like the ideal movie watching headphone to me.

Can anybody comment specifically on the midrange? I know Warren said that it's crisp and pichu mentioned that it compared favorably with that of the HD650, but since I've never actually heard one of those, I can only vaguely imagine. How does it sit in the balance? Also, I don't get on well with recessed upper mids (like on the M50), so the headphone will have to clear that hurdle for me if I'm going to consider them.

Just do it!  It's 50 bucks

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #33 of 1,082
I agree that the Pioneer SE-A1000 is a VERY good headphone for the price, and perhaps one of the best cheap open headphones; however, comparing it to the likes of a Sennheiser HD650 is not really fair. The SE-A1000 is great but not as resolving as the HD650, and it does have some ringing/peaks that the other people here have mentioned. With this said, I do believe that they are very underrated and a very good choice when it comes to open-back headphones on a budget (same league as say, the Goldring DR150).

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #34 of 1,082
Yeah, maybe I'm thinking too much about it. I'm willing to cut something this inexpensive a lot of slack, and of course a parametric EQ can iron out some of the nasties.

But $50 also buys new stuff to listen to with my existing headphones. I'm just trying to avoid ending up with something that's just slightly disappointing every time I put it on, and which makes me wish I'd just bought a few albums instead.

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #35 of 1,082
These peaks people have been stating of. Mostly (supposedly to graphs ) In the from cybal range. TBH I have not heard it, it sounds perfectly clear all the way through with me. Perhaps it is becuase I have them through a DAC? It also may be possible that I have them burned through pretty good on an array of frequency's. Or again perhaps its the fact I am to used to the likings of the Ultrasone 580, who are inglorious for their sharp highs. But non the less. But I believe for those who have listened to them, Can see the mimic and sound the Pioneer's make to reproduce closely to the HD 6540. Though they may not be as resolving in your opinion. Does it not amaze anyone with the fact that the 650 is $500 more, and the sound expirience is extremely close?

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #36 of 1,082
Those of you who know me, know that I have a disdain for super-cheap giant-killer hype threads (Dsnuts I'm looking at you).  So I'll just kick back for a while.  I'm sure we'll be hearing more about these soon as Amazon is now down to only 7 in stock. 
smile.gif
  These things must be done as they have always been done on Head-Fi... via consensus.

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #37 of 1,082
Went from 27 in stock to only 4 in stock in a little over 12 hours. I expect alot of reviews and opinion on this thread coming this Friday :wink:

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #39 of 1,082
Mine should be here around friday.
To be honest I'm just expecting a no bass headphone with a $50 sound, because the last cheap headphone (HTF600) that was suppose to be on the same level as the HD650 disappointed me big time. Hopefully with low expectations I'll be surprise.

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #41 of 1,082
Quote:
That's US$50 to conus.
Here in the antipodes, you can double that with shiopping fees......

A fellow countryman of yours found it on Ebay last night for $70. 
smile.gif

Quote:
To be honest I'm just expecting a no bass headphone with a $50 sound

Well, you're going to be disappointed then, because that's not what you're gonna get.

Quote:
the last cheap headphone (HTF600) that was suppose to be on the same level as the HD650 disappointed me big time.

LOL, who said that?!  HTF600 = HD 650 my ass!

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #42 of 1,082
Quote:

The title of the thread suggested it, and some people in the thread made the claim... I think.
I'm not going to go searching for it, all I remember was I was disappointed and the left driver went bye bye after a couple of weeks.

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #43 of 1,082
Quote:
Quote:

The title of the thread suggested it, and some people in the thread made the claim... I think.
I'm not going to go searching for it.

Gotcha.  BTW, I just realized that you're a basshead.  Okay, given that, you might think these are a little bass light...
redface.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #44 of 1,082
Quote:

Gotcha.  BTW, I just realized that you're a basshead.  Okay, given that, you might think these are a little bass light...
redface.gif

I am, but my demand for bass is not what it use to be and this isn't intended for bassy stuff. If the bass is close to something like the K550 I'll be fine with it. 
I've given up on bassy open headphones after the disappointment of the HE400.

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #45 of 1,082
None left in stock. Its crazy how fast they sold out. Before we know it these are going to be back up at $150 :p Anyone else on the forums have an opinion on these phones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back