Pioneer SE-A1000 (Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)
Jul 1, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #16 of 1,082
I've been telling people about these for the past month, but nobody listens to me when i say they're the best sub-$100 headphone in existence.

I've been able to compare them to popular choices like Grado SR325i, ATH A900x, ATH AD900, ATH T500, ATH M50, Sennheiser 598, etc. I prefer the sound of the Pioneers.

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #17 of 1,082
How's the bass on these? In regards to quantity. Is it like the K550, HD598 or M50?

Jul 1, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #19 of 1,082
It's difficult to compare its quantity to other headphones. Remember, these are completely open-backed. It doesn't look like it because there's a large piece of felt behind the driver, over the mesh. The nice thing about them is that they extend extremely far low in to the sub-bass levels. They won't satisfy a bass head, but for people like me who prefer a neutral, but articulate bass response, they're amazing.

There is definitely more rumble than most other popular open-air designs. Especially if you push the cups closer to your ears, which is part of the reason why the headband mod is desirable - increased clamping force.

Jul 1, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #20 of 1,082
I ordered mine on Amazon right after seeing both Warren's post and Pichu's glowing praise for it in there Zardak thread. I bought an open box SE-A1000 on Amazon for $48 shipped. I think I paid more for toilet paper and paper towels at the market yesterday than for these phones.

Jul 1, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #21 of 1,082
For those of you who order these, please, for the love of all things, mod the cable. In my case, I widened the opening, and soldered in a female jack. Having a detatchable cable, and modding the headband increases the portability, and comfort of the headphones significantly.

Anyone have any ideas on how to increase clamping force? Ulike others, I actually LIKE how much clamping force the Sennheiser HD280, or ATH M50 has.

Jul 1, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #22 of 1,082
Is there any guide or at least description on modding the cable anywhere or will it be self evident when I receive them?

Jul 1, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #24 of 1,082
Quote:
Anyone have any ideas on how to increase clamping force? Ulike others, I actually LIKE how much clamping force the Sennheiser HD280, or ATH M50 has.

Sure, just don't do the following if you intend on returning the headphones:

1.  From the headband mod above, you know that those two black tubes are really just metal bands within rubber tubes.

2.  VERY gently BUT firmly bend the long sections of the upper tubes (the part above the junction boxes) to increase the clamping force.

Also, it should go without saying that all of the mods are at-your-own-risk fellas. 
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #26 of 1,082
Quote:
I bought an open box SE-A1000 on Amazon for $48 shipped. I think I paid more for toilet paper and paper towels at the market yesterday than for these phones.

Which, let's be honest, are equally important (albeit for different reasons). 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Hon, I've already taken a dremol to them and soldered on a female jack. These aren't going anywhere.

Lol, no I know.  But it seems like there are going to be a few new owners in here shortly. 
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #28 of 1,082
Okay, that works too.

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #29 of 1,082
I'm desperately trying to come up with a justification for buying these, since of course I want them after reading all this. The best thing I can come up with so far is watching movies. As much as I love my current headphones, neither is really suited to this. An easy to drive, open headphone with prodigious bass extension seems like the ideal movie watching headphone to me.

Can anybody comment specifically on the midrange? I know Warren said that it's crisp and pichu mentioned that it compared favorably with that of the HD650, but since I've never actually heard one of those, I can only vaguely imagine. How does it sit in the balance? Also, I don't get on well with recessed upper mids (like on the M50), so the headphone will have to clear that hurdle for me if I'm going to consider them.

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #30 of 1,082
The mids are not recessed. 
smile.gif
  Justification acquired, please proceed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back