Pioneer HRM-7 Studio Monitor Headphones Discussion
Sep 17, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #121 of 150
  I was very impressed with the 1770 at Can jam on a Feliks Audio Expressivo tube amp. I don't know if it was the headphone or the amp, but something definitely magical was going on there. 

I don't mean to derail this thread, but would you let me know - would you consider the DT 1770 to be approaching basshead territory? There's been rumors of that on the 1770 thread

Sep 17, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #122 of 150
  I don't mean to derail this thread, but would you let me know - would you consider the DT 1770 to be approaching basshead territory? There's been rumors of that on the 1770 thread

It didn't feel to me anywhere close to a bashed can-just similar to an Alpha Dog with a little more overall high end. 

Sep 17, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #123 of 150
  Ok, so I decided to do a mod to my HRM-7's (cringe) I opened them up and wasn't quite satisfied with Pioneers' choice of damping materials:

So I replace them with nice solid Dynamat:

Soundwise what I'm hearing is a TON more clarity in the mids and lower mids; they're absolutely magical now. They're also brought forward. Bass has a bit more weight to it but it's tight and defined. That's with the stock pads. With Hifiman pads you get even more bass, but you sacrifice a bit of the soundstage. I haven't tried these with my Alpha Pads yet with the dynamat mod, but I will later today.

edit: I'm playing these side by side with ATH W1000Z's, Alpha Dogs, and Nighthawks and the edge they had in detail retrieval is now gone, I'm going to call these mid-to hi fi cans now with a sound worth about $500 at least. 

and how do we kick the treble's ass?

B&H issued a RMA for my headphones....  I'll give them some more listening, but without EQ I don't think these will work well.

Will EQing help me, or do you think these are just too bright?

Thanks all :frowning2:

Sep 18, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #125 of 150
Eq most definitely will and will fix it easily. Especially since the treble isnt peaky but just bright.

Thanks.  I do like the headphones, but it was just that one issue.  

I also tried the headphones last night, and it didn't seem that bad at all.  It is possible that since the first 2 days I had raging headaches that maybe I was just extra sensitive to the brightness that day.

Is there a certain program I should download to help me with this? 

I've seen people mention "JPlay" and "foobar2000?"

Thanks.

Sep 19, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #127 of 150
Amarra sq2 is a good one because it works for all apps and players.

Sorry, you already said that lol, I'll go check it out thanks!:)

EDIT:  after looking it up, it only is for mac os :frowning2:

http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/amarra_sq

Thanks anyways.

Sep 20, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #128 of 150
UPDATE:

So I decided to go back to "Stereo," and then decided to check out my Realtek application to see if there were settings to possibly turn down the bass on stereo..

Sure enough "maxxBass" and "MaxxTreble" is turned on half....

Turned them off and wow what a difference!  Bass is so much less (which isn't good for some people, but for me I'm happy)!  The Treble is down too, so I'm going to try it out now.  There's definitely a big difference in both!

The setting doesn't work in the "Quad" or "5.1" setting, which might be why I preferred those settings, but they were still a little sharp.  It sounds a bit sharp now, but isn't as "piercing" as it was, but I can see this getting annoying as well on some songs....

Going to see if I like it any different, but so far still seems to be similar.

Just figured I'd update why my "Stereo" setting was so different, and contradicted what everyone was saying about "bassy headphones...."

Bass Boost does wonders though.  I can only imagine if it was turned on full.....

I'm not sure if all computers come with this application, or what, but REaltek seems to be the main drivers that all onboard audio uses, but not too sure?

Sep 27, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #129 of 150
Yo dudes!

I've been lurking this thread for a few weeks now. My trusty Sennheiser HD-25s are now, after almost a decade of service, close to having their funeral so a replacement is in order.

I own a lot of Pioneer gear and Thomann.de currently has a great deal on the HRM-7 so naturally I am interested. After reading this thread my only question so far is that how does the HRM-7 compare to HD-25?

Sep 27, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #130 of 150
  Yo dudes!

I've been lurking this thread for a few weeks now. My trusty Sennheiser HD-25s are now, after almost a decade of service, close to having their funeral so a replacement is in order.

I own a lot of Pioneer gear and Thomann.de currently has a great deal on the HRM-7 so naturally I am interested. After reading this thread my only question so far is that how does the HRM-7 compare to HD-25?

A lot less bass and a lot more soundstage and highs. 

Oct 4, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #132 of 150
How do people find the brightness of this compared to other HPs?

I felt it was relly bright, but I think maybe it's just that I was listening to it at a decently high vol.  Lower vols aren't as bad, but I like higher vols if possible.

I do notice my Logitech G5300e speakers also can get a little "harsh" in the highs when I put it up.  Right now it's pretty high vol and it's okay though...

It also might be the song, because some songs weren't that bad with the pios...

I just think I need an AMP/DAC...  Wish I got the aune when I had a chance...

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #133 of 150
  How do people find the brightness of this compared to other HPs?

I felt it was relly bright, but I think maybe it's just that I was listening to it at a decently high vol.  Lower vols aren't as bad, but I like higher vols if possible.

I do notice my Logitech G5300e speakers also can get a little "harsh" in the highs when I put it up.  Right now it's pretty high vol and it's okay though...

It also might be the song, because some songs weren't that bad with the pios...

I just think I need an AMP/DAC...  Wish I got the aune when I had a chance...

These headphones are bright compared to other headphones no doubt. Thats partly why in my review I felt they could be modded into something totally different. I will take that on soon here. 

Oct 16, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #134 of 150
  These headphones are bright compared to other headphones no doubt. Thats partly why in my review I felt they could be modded into something totally different. I will take that on soon here. 

If it was possible to lower the treble a shizz ton that would be something interesting...

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #135 of 150
  Ok, so I decided to do a mod to my HRM-7's (cringe) I opened them up and wasn't quite satisfied with Pioneers' choice of damping materials:

So I replace them with nice solid Dynamat:

Soundwise what I'm hearing is a TON more clarity in the mids and lower mids; they're absolutely magical now. They're also brought forward. Bass has a bit more weight to it but it's tight and defined. That's with the stock pads. With Hifiman pads you get even more bass, but you sacrifice a bit of the soundstage. I haven't tried these with my Alpha Pads yet with the dynamat mod, but I will later today.

edit: I'm playing these side by side with ATH W1000Z's, Alpha Dogs, and Nighthawks and the edge they had in detail retrieval is now gone, I'm going to call these mid-to hi fi cans now with a sound worth about $500 at least. 

SOOOO....

I think part of modding is knowing what volume you will be listening at. Once you turn it up past a certain level some of those frequencies push themselves past all of your materials. Well. I modded mine as well using acrylic felt and foam inside as well as studio foam over the driver hole.

Also the front of the driver is surrounded by this paper fiber stuff. Well I ripped that off and blocked it with rubber mouse padding that I cut up. This trapped more bass and forced it through the ports for a bit more oomph but it doesn't seem as tight, but still very good and a little more. 

Also the imaging is better and at regular listening levels the treble is A LOT MORE TAMED. This is magical like you said and I feel like I have a rare gem that no one has. I think I put to much felt over the covering but its less bright and still clear. I have chopped that treble down some. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back