Pioneer HRM-7 Studio Monitor Headphones Discussion
Sep 15, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #91 of 150
  I got my headphones today, I waited awhile to open them and try them out.

I opened up the packaging box and noticed my box was beat up :frowning2:.  I took a video of it and the inside, and I noticed the little inside box seemed to have wear on it also.

I am not sure what exactly comes with this as "accessories"

But from what I see I got

1 extra earpads

1 straight cord

1 spiral cord

1 package of manuals.

On the box it said that there should be a big jack, and I notice there is a "Screw thread" on these jack ends.  I don't think I got a 6.3mm adapter.  On the back of the box it says there should be 2 pairs of earpads.  Does that mean 2 extra pairs, or 1 on the headphones, and 1 extra?

I do feel the back is "open" a bit, but they seem to fit decently.  I feel the Alpha Pads might work great to close off the backs since they are bigger. I've only worn them for about 5 mins, but they don't seem too heavy, but I do feel a little pain in my neck, so not sure if it's because of the headphones.

Thanks for any help, I'm a bit bummed, but after I finish writing this I am going to turn on the tunes, so I will edit when that time comes :)

EDIT:  So the first thing I notice was that my left speaker wasn't playing..  I'm all What!  Tried to readjust the plug, but then realized the port on my comp is busted, so I tried messing with it, and then switched to the middle port in hopes it could connect as a headphone, which it does.

So as for the sound...

TBH I'm not really blown away, in fact I feel the sound isn't really doing it for me.  There's a lot of bass, but I feel there isn't much "punch" to the music itself, but that the bass is overwhelming the melody of the music..

Maybe I need to EQ, but I expected a bit more with these.  Maybe I need to "burn in" as well, but who knows.  I am comparing these to my Logitech Z5300e speakers, and the sound they produce just seems so much better.  Even my Logitech G35 headset was really good.  But this I don't know....

I'm a bit sad, but maybe I'm missing something.  Maybe the onboard soundcard on my 5 year old laptop isn't good enough to drive these headphones?

Thanks all :frowning2:.

EDIT 2:  So I went to my sound settings to see if this was set to stereo or something else, and it was on "quad."  I changed it to stereo and I'm not sure if it sounds better, bu the bass is 5x as boomy and it seems waaay too much for me... ugh lmao... :frowning2:

EDIT 3:  So uh...  I couldn't take the bass on stereo, so i switched back to quad which sounded so much better.  But I kept noticing the right ear sounded much more "pronounced" than the left.  So I go to the plug and realized it's nto all the way plugged in.....

what a difference... LOL.  Bass gets put on the backburner now.  Going to go back to Stereo and see if that makes it better or worse.  So far, with it actually plugged in correct, it's sounding really good.

I also had to turn the "preamp" up on VLC around 8-10db.  Not sure what that means, but found when tocuhing that setting it got good.

EDIT 4:  So far sounding good.  It's a little sharp on the treble a bit.  Keep changing settings, currently usign 5.1 to get some bass while having good melody.  Stereo is too much.  Installing Razor surround, so going to see how that works

Some sounds are a lot louder than others, so I might have to loudness equalize.

So far it seems like a nice pair, but it feels like something is missing... I don't know what it is.  We shall find out possibly...

Part of it feels like my ears are just hurting from sharp sounds and the fact I did try some eq and high treble sliced my ears in half :frowning2:.  Maybe it's part of that "fatigue" I hear about :frowning2:.

it comes with a 6.35mm adapter, which screws on. 

1 extra earpads

1 straight cord

1 spiral cord

1 package of manuals

But no way no how this headphone gets bass heavy EVER. I think you got a pair of fakes, can you post a photo of the box?

edit: There's also the possibility that you got a defective pair, and if you have you can probably get a replacement from Pioneer directly, if you can't return them to your seller.

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #92 of 150
I wouldn't recommend these to you since you mention bass punch. The highs out of the box are a bit much. Compared to the hd650 this had less bass(different pads can help) , bigger Soundstage, tight, deep and very solid bass but it doesn't punch hard really. I think you would appreciate it but then let it go because the bass isn't above neutral.

When I mention about bass punch, I'm talking about impact / 'slam' on the bass; are we both referring to the same thing? And I don't need the bass quantity to be much more than slightly above neutral, if at all.

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #93 of 150
At first I thought these headphones didn't have any bass but after some 20+ hours of burn in and using my steinberg mr816 interface the bass hits me harder with more punch, try these with a better amp/dac guys!! these are very neutral by the way I have really the feeling im in the studio with the artist :)))

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #95 of 150
I wouldn't recommend these to you since you mention bass punch. The highs out of the box are a bit much. Compared to the hd650 this had less bass(different pads can help) , bigger Soundstage, tight, deep and very solid bass but it doesn't punch hard really. I think you would appreciate it but then let it go because the bass isn't above neutral.

When I mention about bass punch, I'm talking about impact / 'slam' on the bass; are we both referring to the same thing? And I don't need the bass quantity to be much more than slightly above neutral, if at all.

Quantity is okay, slam is not really it's thing. We are referring to the same thing. I believe in brain burn in more than anything. Our brains get used to the sound. There are rare exceptions but this headphone is not one of them. It won't change much in bass later on atleast mine didn't. I did get it to respond to eq though finally.

Pads can help though. If the music is bass heavy you may be okay.

Sep 15, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #96 of 150

1 extra earpads

1 straight cord

1 spiral cord

1 package of manuals

But no way no how this headphone gets bass heavy EVER. I think you got a pair of fakes, can you post a photo of the box?

edit: There's also the possibility that you got a defective pair, and if you have you can probably get a replacement from Pioneer directly, if you can't return them to your seller.

Thanks, I was missing the adapter, I tried contacting B&H, but they are in the middle of a holiday, and have declined my email... (which is stupid).  So now I have to hope the email will be okay in a few days.  Granted I have 30 days to return.

Idk man, when set to "Stereo" on the sound settings the bass rocks me.  Right now I'm using the 5.1 setting.  Bass reduce sometimes helps, but seems I can be okay without it.

I'm not a huge bass lover though.....

Idk if I got a defective pair.  IT sounds nice, but way too harsh on somethings like cymbals/hi-hats.

I don't like to cringe while listing to music :frowning2:.

I think the impact is very good, but I'm new to all of this.  I personally think in the "Stereo" setting it's a ton of bass.

From another device, I don't know.

At first I thought these headphones didn't have any bass but after some 20+ hours of burn in and using my steinberg mr816 interface the bass hits me harder with more punch, try these with a better amp/dac guys!! these are very neutral by the way I have really the feeling im in the studio with the artist :)))

Yeah I need an amp/dac!

Sep 15, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #97 of 150

1 extra earpads

1 straight cord

1 spiral cord

1 package of manuals

Thanks, I was missing the adapter, I tried contacting B&H, but they are in the middle of a holiday, and have declined my email... (which is stupid).  So now I have to hope the email will be okay in a few days.  Granted I have 30 days to return.

Idk man, when set to "Stereo" on the sound settings the bass rocks me.  Right now I'm using the 5.1 setting.  Bass reduce sometimes helps, but seems I can be okay without it.

I'm not a huge bass lover though.....

Idk if I got a defective pair.  IT sounds nice, but way too harsh on somethings like cymbals/hi-hats.

I don't like to cringe while listing to music :frowning2:.

I think the impact is very good, but I'm new to all of this.  I personally think in the "Stereo" setting it's a ton of bass.

From another device, I don't know.

Yeah I need an amp/dac!

Told you these were somewhat bright.

When you say stereo setting what equipment are you referring to? Usually something with a stereo setting has an amp already. What are you using?

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #99 of 150
  @Eurobeat Turn off any EQ's and effects You're on. The amount of correction You are using is confusing. Turn it all off and tell us what You hear.

If I turn off EQ when using any of the settings I get a ton of brightness.  It's really harsh.

If I turn the settings to "Stereo" in my sound settings, I get a ton more bass, so I want to limit that.

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #100 of 150

If I turn off EQ when using any of the settings I get a ton of brightness.  It's really harsh.

If I turn the settings to "Stereo" in my sound settings, I get a ton more bass, so I want to limit that.

Headphones is stereo, so Your setting should be stereo also. If You're on velur pads, there is no way HRMs is going to be bassy. Do You have any portable player or some decent sounding smartphone?

Sep 15, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #101 of 150

@Eurobeat
 Turn off any EQ's and effects You're on. The amount of correction You are using is confusing. Turn it all off and tell us what You hear.

Are you using a receiver?

Sep 16, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #102 of 150

Headphones is stereo, so Your setting should be stereo also. If You're on velur pads, there is no way HRMs is going to be bassy. Do You have any portable player or some decent sounding smartphone?

Yeah, I know, which is weird since I like the setting on quad/5.1 better.  Idk what pads I'm using, they are the ones that are preinstalled.  Stereo was boom boom tho.....

I actually took out the headphones today as I was out for a few hours, and was using it with my Galaxy S3.  No real bass, sounded "recessed" a bit, but the treble was still tearing me up.

Nope, not sure what that is.

----------------------------------------------------

Overall I'm really mixed with these.  On one hand they are really nice, with a really nice soundstage, but on the other hand the treble is too sharp for me, and it just really pierces through me and gives me a big headache/fatigues me from wanting to listen to more.

Sep 16, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #103 of 150

Yeah, I know, which is weird since I like the setting on quad/5.1 better.  Idk what pads I'm using, they are the ones that are preinstalled.  Stereo was boom boom tho.....

I actually took out the headphones today as I was out for a few hours, and was using it with my Galaxy S3.  No real bass, sounded "recessed" a bit, but the treble was still tearing me up.

Nope, not sure what that is.

----------------------------------------------------

Overall I'm really mixed with these.  On one hand they are really nice, with a really nice soundstage, but on the other hand the treble is too sharp for me, and it just really pierces through me and gives me a big headache/fatigues me from wanting to listen to more.

Return them. You're sensitive to highs. It's not going to get much better, at least not to your satisfaction.

Sep 16, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #104 of 150
He's just using the headphphone directly from his laptop, IIRC.

This stuff about harsh highs and not much punch in the bass is probably gonna steer me to the new venerable DT 1770 instead. However it is worth noting that this can should be scalable - if anybody wants to try it with a beefier amp you just may get that bass speed.

Sep 16, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #105 of 150
He's just using the headphphone directly from his laptop, IIRC.

This stuff about harsh highs and not much punch in the bass is probably gonna steer me to the new venerable DT 1770 instead. However it is worth noting that this can should be scalable - if anybody wants to try it with a beefier amp you just may get that bass speed.

Bass is definitely there. All You need is leather pads and good seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back