Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jan 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #1,516 of 37,701
Quote:

That's my portable kit. A plethora of MD/Hi-MD/Auvi recorders to shake off the iPod monotony.

Bonus is they have a built-in line out mode which means no LOD or DAC.

FXZ200, GR07 MK2, FX700 and the JH16,

MadDogs by headfi's very own Dan, beautiful sound by these babies. Great isolation plus comfort for portable usage

Objective2 and iBasso DB2/PB2 combo. They power the MadDogs and the JH16 fantastically after an upgrade of buffers and opamps from Ron (HiFlight on headfi) for the PB2.

OH GOD YESSSS!

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #1,517 of 37,701
Quote:
Well now I'm super interested in picking up a mini disc player again. It's been so long.

Also, you're saying its not a good idea to plug IEMs directly into an MD player...why?

I think they said not to plug IEMs directly into a line out port. Not sure why-possibly just too loud.

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #1,518 of 37,701
Well now I'm super interested in picking up a mini disc player again. It's been so long.

The reason is that they have a line out and earphone out from the same jack that can be switched in the menu. Line out has higher voltage and can damage earphones.

Also, you're saying its not a good idea to plug IEMs directly into an MD player...why?

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #1,520 of 37,701
Quote:
The line out has higher voltage and can distort very badly. Its a single jack for both headphone and line out, switchable in the menu.

Ah, I see. So it is just a matter of accidentally plugging in IEMs in line out mode. The extra voltage makes sense.

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #1,521 of 37,701
Did I mention I have one of these New In Box too:wink:

hello, I strictly use pcdp as my source, but back in the 2000's minidisc never caught my attention but now I don 't why I want to get one so do they have the same sound quality as portable cd players? and how many songs can you burn in a minidisc, my listening sessions only last around 1 1/2 hours so I don't care that much about that as long as the sound quality is as good as a cd player!

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #1,522 of 37,701
Quote:
hello, I strictly use pcdp as my source, but back in the 2000's minidisc never caught my attention but now I don 't why I want to get one so do they have the same sound quality as portable cd players? and how many songs can you burn in a minidisc, my listening sessions only last around 1 1/2 hours so I don't care that much about that as long as the sound quality is as good as a cd player!

some of the last generation MD players had great build and great sound quality (Same as cd) although some disagree on that piont. Sharp had some very good Amp sections in some of their players.

Ps I own many MD platers and my favorites are
Sony E10 for size (but has no replaceple battery and strange addapter for earphones)
Sharp - any with a 1 bit amp
Sony NH1 or RH1 (for HI-MD)

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #1,523 of 37,701
some of the last generation MD players had great build and great sound quality (Same as cd) although some disagree on that piont. Sharp had some very good Amp sections in some of their players.

Ps I own many MD platers and my favorites are
Sony E10 for size (but has no replaceple battery and strange addapter for earphones)
Sharp - any with a 1 bit amp
Sony NH1 or RH1 (for HI-MD)

I see, I might check ebay to see if I can find one cheap to compare it to my cd players!

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #1,528 of 37,701
Quote:
Sony Discman D25 and Panasonic 470 are my current ones, and I don't remember the ones I used when I was a teenager since at that age I was not really into this hobby, I will post some pictures of my rig once I get my laptop back from shop

I always wanted a D25 but I could not get over the fact of transporting my cd's. Do you just take one cd with you or a whole bag?

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #1,529 of 37,701
I have a black mini disc lying around somewhere. I hated the thing, cause from the first day I bought it I had problems of loading tracks into it. There was something wrong with the Sonicstage software since I tried it both on a laptop & desktop. I have one track on the disc, but I do remember the 'bass' option was phenomenal going in increments of 0-3. 2 had my best taste.

I know I have lost the mini to usb cable now.

Does anyone know whether a normal mini-usb cable will work to load music into the mini disc? Was the original mini-usb cable proprietary to the mini disc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back