Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200)
Dec 23, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #1,996 of 3,060
Maybe I am prejudiced against the EarPods, because I don't really like them. But I guess I'll give them another look per your recomendation. It wouldn't be the first time that a "cheap" set of earphones sound actually good.

You will never understand them unless they are fully broke- in and fit correctly. Apple states that they did ear topography of thousands of different ears for the size. Still you will not get them to work without a foam cover and tight fit.

The opinion of cheap stuff can be placebo in the opposite direction of expensive esoteric equipment, I think.

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #1,997 of 3,060
You will never understand them unless they are fully broke- in and fit correctly. Apple states that they did ear topography of thousands of different ears for the size. Still you will not get them to work without a foam cover and tight fit.

The opinion of cheap stuff can be placebo in the opposite direction of expensive esoteric equipment, I think.

Well, yes. Burning is most definetely a real factor in cans. As well as placebo. This could be the first time I read about "inverse placebo" but it sure has to be considered. Simplicity sometimes works wonders.
As for fitting, when I got my Sansa Clip+ I experimented with those putty-like ear plugs for children in order to keep the earbuds in place. I was amazed on how good they did sound. Maybe, if I get the EarPods, I'll try and repeat the experiment to see how they work.

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #1,998 of 3,060

Well, yes. Burning is most definetely a real factor in cans. As well as placebo. This could be the first time I read about "inverse placebo" but it sure has to be considered. Simplicity sometimes works wonders.
As for fitting, when I got my Sansa Clip+ I experimented with those putty-like ear plugs for children in order to keep the earbuds in place. I was amazed on how good they did sound. Maybe, if I get the EarPods, I'll try and repeat the experiment to see how they work.

Well, the Kogan is a good example as how good could $29 sound, just the price adds a question. I think placebo goes both ways. ?

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #2,000 of 3,060
Maybe I am prejudiced against the EarPods, because I don't really like them. But I guess I'll give them another look per your recomendation. It wouldn't be the first time that a "cheap" set of earphones sound actually good.

You should give them a chance! They aren't thaaat bad, I got my second pair a while ago bundled with my iPod touch 5, I guess is one of the mainstream headphones that I recommend to friends.
I usually burn in them with 2 hrs of pink noise and they are ready to go

They have a surprisingly good wire material, Litz copper.
This means that Apple had an emphasis on sound quality while making these headphones.

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #2,001 of 3,060
The Earpods really surprised me too, they sound excellent for the price. A lot of fakes out there though, and they sound like absolute trash. 

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #2,002 of 3,060
You should give them a chance! They aren't thaaat bad, I got my second pair a while ago bundled with my iPod touch 5, I guess is one of the mainstream headphones that I recommend to friends.
I usually burn in them with 2 hrs of pink noise and they are ready to go

They have a surprisingly good wire material, Litz copper.
This means that Apple had an emphasis on sound quality while making these headphones.

Uhhh...
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/lauding-jobs-least-loved-product-basic-apple-ear-bud

It's not just the EarPods.

Also, I'm probably getting an iDevice next year, so that means free EarPods! They really aren't bad for an earbud, and can certainly compete with IEMs at that price.

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #2,003 of 3,060
My dogs chewed up my first pair so I'm on my second pair. Lol

I may sound like a broken record but the foam covers make them sound like a whole new thing. They have to fit in the first place for the foam covers to work out.

I look at them as a cross between an IEM and an ear-bud as they fit tighter?

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #2,004 of 3,060

I may sound like a broken record but the foam covers make them sound like a whole new thing. They have to fit in the first place for the foam covers to work out.

Judging on the way they fit, yep, they seem like they have a hybrid sort of fit. Deeper than an earbud but shallower than an IEM.

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #2,005 of 3,060
Judging on the way they fit, yep, they seem like they have a hybrid sort of fit. Deeper than an earbud but shallower than an IEM.

I also turn the things so I'm walking around with the cord posts pointing directly out from my ear. They are not hanging down the way they were designed to be used.

This makes the fit even tighter if someone wants to try it?:p

Dec 25, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #2,007 of 3,060

Foam covers generally not only improve fit, but also change bass response. I'll probably get a pair a do some experiments with Sugru and other materials to see if I get a nice effect and better fit.
 Oh, and merry belated Xmas guys.

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #2,008 of 3,060
So if you guys had $130-150 to spend on a rig, what would you get? I was thinking a Sansa Clip+ and a Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear or V-Moda M-80? or would you go for the FiiO x1 and cheaper headphones?

Maybe the Crossfade LPs? idk I need some guidance yo.

Dec 25, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #2,010 of 3,060
  Where I can get some Sugru here in Mexico?? @Onix

I am yet to figure that one out Fridge. I am guessing La Parisina or Artesanías Marco. But there is also a recipe to make a Sugru substitute here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-Your-Own-Sugru-Substitute/

If you are thinking what I am thinking, you'll better shave your ears before you do it. Anyway, the thing is called oogoo and you can get the materials at Home Depot. I am yet to do so, but if I don't find Sugru I'll experiment with some cheap buds and oogoo. And have an Audiologist number just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back