Philips Fidelio X2?!
Sep 27, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #421 of 15,268
  It's weird because usually the "portable" cans like the L2 have more bass, because noise on-the-go in metro and city is of low frequency and more bass help overcoming it and avoids using high volumes to perceive the sound, and a "home" use pair of cans would have made more sense being flat and analytical. Yet Philips made the opposite, the L2 ore balanced and the X1 bassy 

Still the L2 got massive bass. While I made my side by side test the Philips L2 manage do destroy several tracks with overpowered bass. A good example is John Legend - All of Me (Tiësto's Birthday Treatment Mix). None of the other 5 headphones I hade at the side by side test come even close. I did test the X1 at an earlier test but did not test this kind of songs.

I was using Yamaha RX-A1020 connected(HDMI) to an Intel Nuc that is running Windows 7 and Spotify. Not a audiophile qulity but good enouth for these tests.

Sep 27, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #425 of 15,268
  l2 = bass light simple and plain.

Absolutely not, neither soundwise nor technically (check the FR graph). Simple and plain.
wink_face.gif

Sep 27, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #428 of 15,268

there is a slight difference between "bass light" and "massive bass"...IMHO the L2 settles between the extremes
smily_headphones1.gif

Considering I don't think the X1 is "massive bass" I'm going to respectfully disagree haha. To my ears, the X1 is "kinda bassy". 

Sep 27, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #430 of 15,268
  l2 = bass light simple and plain.

Compare to the X1 maybe but not other headphones we tested side by side. It hade without a doubt stronger bass compare to Beyerdynamic DT880, Beyerdynamic DT990(and this one got a strong bass for a open headphone), Sennheiser Momentum and Sennheiser HD598 that I did side by side compare with.

Yes the characteristics graph may show something else but obviously this is not the entire truth. I suspect that the pleather pads will boost the bass some as well.

We was two testers and we both agreed that the bass in L2 was destroying some songs, at least in the setup we used. No EQ modifications was done at all. We did also compare to the sound of the Monitor Audio RS8.

I would want to say that this is all about taste but its really not. Thay have a clear boost in the bass. Its however all about taste if you like it or not. :)

Comparing to the X1 I would say that L2 are not as dark as the X1 and for me this simple means that there is a bit less bass and more treble. The result is somewhat clearer/brighter hights.

BUT, Im no expert on this, I take what I hear and explains it plain an simple.

Edit : They was also tested on a Logitech Z-5500 system with about the same result.

Stuff like this is what confuses people.

This is how we perceived and this was also what we used to determent what headphone that would fit us the best. There is no reson for me to explain a sound that we did not hear.

Sep 27, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #431 of 15,268
Is here anyone else that have compared the Philips L2 and Beyerdynamic DT880 side by side? Its a really BIG diffrence. The L2 really going at it in the bass section while the DT880 shows vary litte bass. The result is that the DT880 shows alot more details that simple disappears in the Bass of the L2. The soundsatage is a lot bigger on the DT880 to but that an entire different discussion.

I can however say that in the first 30 min with the L2 it did show me a couple of WOW feelings when it got bass heavy songs to really let loose without losing to much detail. I understand that many likes this kind of sound.

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #432 of 15,268
Dunno about it men. I love the bass on my dt880 and I listen a lot electronica. Nice deep bass. No problems. I don't want back to midbass hump headphones for instance. Or DT770 just have too much, also. I like bass, but bass quality. Quantity is not good, makes you tired.

I hope X2 will have good bass, not bloated. I know Wow feeling but that is fake wow feeling. HD650 is real wow feeling, for instance.

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #433 of 15,268
Ymmv
Bass light may be an exaggeration

If so massive bass is even more so. The L2 will never be recommended in the basshead thread without tons of scoffing. The x1 barely holds up there. The dt880 is considered a basslight hp. The x2 may have variations just like the x1 where ppl have reported to have two pairs sounding different. Also this may be the case with the l2

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #434 of 15,268

Compare to the X1 maybe but not other headphones we tested side by side.

You say that like the X1 is this insanely bass-heavy headphone, but remember on an actual scale, the X1 isn't even a basshead headphone. It's bassy, yes, but not basshead. 

People on here really start to lose perspective on what "massive bass" is because they get used to more neutral gear so they hear something like the X1 with its gentle tilt and go "OMG THIS BASS IS RIDICULOUS". 

The X1 is only considered very bassy FOR AN OPEN BACK. You stack this thing up against even cheap bassy headphones like the Sony X10 and it's not even close. It's a significantly better headphone, but it's not nearly as bass heavy. So when you say "compared to the X1 maybe" it just shows how far away from the notion of bass-heavy your reference points are. The DT880 is a VERY bass-light can. I'm a former DT770 owner, a Beyer product people say "bassheads will love", and I did not. It was incredibly disappointing as a bass lover. So keep that in mind when you start saying the L2 is in any way, shape, or form "bass heavy".

What did you test the L2 against? Did you test it against any genuinely bass-heavy headphones? The M100? Sennheiser Momentum? Monster DNA? Beats? Perfect Sound Dido? Denon? Fostex? 

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #435 of 15,268
Ymmv
Bass light may be an exaggeration

If so massive bass is even more so. The L2 will never be recommended in the basshead thread without tons of scoffing. The x1 barely holds up there. The dt880 is considered a basslight hp. The x2 may have variations just like the x1 where ppl have reported to have two pairs sounding different. Also this may be the case with the l2

I would never call the X1 a basshead headphone except in comparison to other open-backs. I have some LCD2's on the way and, just speaking from memory, I believe these are bassier than the famous "CROWN PRINCE OF BASS" Audeze cans. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back