Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 25, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #3,767 of 15,268
  My impression after 300+ hours is that amping makes a difference.. On my Beresford Busmaster 2 the X2 sounds very good, but on the V200 bass is much more present and detailed..
The rumble in Mahler3 is awesome on the Violectric, on the Beresford it just isn't there..

I think amping does make more of a difference then some people think.

How did you verify that one wasn't simply louder than the other?

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #3,771 of 15,268
I think that is rather obvious that amp makes difference. The thing is if this difference is worthy or noticeable. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #3,773 of 15,268
As I said, 'obvious' seems quite hyperbolic. Subtle at best. The X2 isn't amp reliant at all, and changes will be very subtle.

No one ever is going to have a modest amp, love it, and then buy a really good amp that they spent hundreds upon hundreds of dollars and NOT say their new amp isn't better. People always fall under expectation bias, and automatically say their more expensive amp is better.

The X2 needs minimal amping. Once it hits a certain limit, you're not going to gain a modest improvement by going with something much beefier.

But of course, people are still gonna go ahead and plug their super amps and say it's better. This cycle never ends.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #3,774 of 15,268
  There is no thread for the upcoming Philips Fidelio F1.  Is anyone looking forward to it? 

"The Fidelio F1 is a new model (slated for a spring 2015 release) a small, closed-back on-ear portable with a low-profile form factor more akin to an Audio-Technica ATH-ES700 . The cups of the F1 are metal, with a smooth matte finish, and the whole thing feels extremely solid (perhaps even a touch hefty) in the hand, yet is quite comfortable to wear. The sound of the F1 had a good amount of bass impact (not unlike the M1) and produced a smooth, pleasant sound. It reminded me of the Klipsch Reference On-Ear, which happens to share the $200 price point with the new Philips, but I was more impressed with the sonics of the F1. These could end up being very nice no-frills portable headphones."

-Joker

I'm not. Just not something I'd be into. I rarely use headphones on the go, got my X2's for at home, and I wouldn't use a $200 pair of cans at the gym although I'd love to find a decent pair of over/on the ear headphones for that purpose...gym use. Right now I use IEM's but I don't prefer them.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #3,776 of 15,268

I'm not. Just not something I'd be into. I rarely use headphones on the go, got my X2's for at home, and I wouldn't use a $200 pair of cans at the gym although I'd love to find a decent pair of over/on the ear headphones for that purpose...gym use. Right now I use IEM's but I don't prefer them.

I use Koss PortaPros at the gym (listen to EDM), and they do alright.  Plus, the lifetime warranty is quite handy.

I finally received my X2s.  Have been listening to them out of my laptop's headphone jack for a few hours, will continue do so until I go to bed.

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #3,777 of 15,268
As I said, 'obvious' seems quite hyperbolic. Subtle at best. The X2 isn't amp reliant at all, and changes will be very subtle.

No one ever is going to have a modest amp, love it, and then buy a really good amp that they spent hundreds upon hundreds of dollars and NOT say their new amp isn't better. People always fall under expectation bias, and automatically say their more expensive amp is better.

The X2 needs minimal amping. Once it hits a certain limit, you're not going to gain a modest improvement by going with something much beefier.

But of course, people are still gonna go ahead and plug their super amps and say it's better. This cycle never ends.

I agree. X2 sounded the same to me with DX90 or connected to iDSD micro but with HD650 and LCD2 I can apreciate the difference.  

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #3,778 of 15,268

ahh it's all in my head....I see

well good, that's where it all happens..
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #3,779 of 15,268
anyone have the comparison between the philips fidelio x2 and the sony mdr 1a? stuck between those two
edit : looking for bass impact, quantity and of course who have the more upfront mid

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #3,780 of 15,268
anyone have the comparison between the philips fidelio x2 and the sony mdr 1a? stuck between those two
edit : looking for bass impact, quantity and of course who have the more upfront mid

Judging from the fact that the mdr 1a is closed back, the mdr 1a will most probably have the better quantity and impact.
The mid in x2 is in between laid back and upfront, x2 is definitely not a forward mid headphone, so my bet is the mdr 1a will have the more upfront mid.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back