Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 26, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #3,781 of 15,268
Judging from the fact that the mdr 1a is closed back, the mdr 1a will most probably have the better quantity and impact.
The mid in x2 is in between laid back and upfront, x2 is definitely not a forward mid headphone, so my bet is the mdr 1a will have the more upfront mid.

thanks for your response, maybe I'll try the fidelio X2 first then decide whether the mid is enough for me

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #3,782 of 15,268

I use Koss PortaPros at the gym (listen to EDM), and they do alright.  Plus, the lifetime warranty is quite handy.

I finally received my X2s.  Have been listening to them out of my laptop's headphone jack for a few hours, will continue do so until I go to bed.

I have the Porta Pros as well. I used to use them. They did well. The cable has become very stiff however. They need recabled. They do actually sound pretty good. Only issue at my gym is that they play other music too that usually needs blocked out. So I guess when I said on ear...I'm probably actually looking for over the ear. I'll probably end up sticking with the IEM...I don't like having them in my ears while working out but they do get the job done I guess.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #3,783 of 15,268
I have a pair of X1's and am intensely debating selling them to get a pair of X2's.

I think the X1's do a good job at recreating mids, but I know that they are somewhat recessed along with the highs. I am willing to give up some bass impact extension for more detail in the top end.

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #3,784 of 15,268
I have a pair of X1's and am intensely debating selling them to get a pair of X2's.

I think the X1's do a good job at recreating mids, but I know that they are somewhat recessed along with the highs. I am willing to give up some bass impact extension for more detail in the top end.
I haven't heard the x1's, but I find the bass on the x2's to be superb. Very good extension IMO.

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #3,785 of 15,268

Sounds intense!

I sold my X1's about one month ago and ordered the X2's. They should be here soon, so maybe I can also offer some perspective for you.

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #3,787 of 15,268
  Did these get discontinued? I can't find the product page for them on Philips website, and it seems Best Buy, Guitar Center, Crutchfield, and WWStereo don't sell them, only Amazon.

Well, it's not really Philips who's making these... Woox innovations (former Philips Lifestyle, inventor's of the CD, now part of Gibson) is making them. I think there's only a single importer in the USA, and they sell only on Amazon.

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #3,788 of 15,268
ahh it's all in my head....I see

well good, that's where it all happens.. :D

Sorry, I didn't mean it that way. I'm saying that people have to be careful with not falling for expectation bias. I doidn't say the X2 doesn't scale. I'm saying it is going to be very subtle, and that they need to understand a lot of the change will be due to the amp's inherent signature, and not because the power is improving the X2. You could probably find a decent portable amp with a similar signature to a $2000 amp and the X2 will sound practically the same. Just IMHO.

The X2 is susceptible to an amp's coloring (however small it may be).

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #3,789 of 15,268

Well, it's not really Philips who's making these... Woox innovations (former Philips Lifestyle, inventor's of the CD, now part of Gibson) is making them. I think there's only a single importer in the USA, and they sell only on Amazon.

Gotcha. So does an official product page even exist for these? I feel ridiculous being unable to find one, lol.

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #3,790 of 15,268
Well now what is this??

from the Woox site

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #3,791 of 15,268
Feb 26, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #3,792 of 15,268
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B00ENMK1DW

I auditioned them not too long ago and they're pretty good. Less bass impact and an over all thinner sound compared to the X2's but very nice for the modest price.

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #3,793 of 15,268
  Well now what is this??

[snip]

from the Woox site

EDIT: double ninja'd?
It's the Philips SHP9500
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B00ENMK1DW

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #3,794 of 15,268

Users who are viewing this thread

Back