Phiaton has some things up it's sleeve
Jul 3, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #46 of 50
Hm...  Well, it turns out that my ears are deceiving me XD  The measurements for the Phiaton Bridge are up on InnerFidelity: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhiatonBridgeMS500.pdf

They look similar to the M-100, for all intensive purposes, they seem closer to what I was expecting the midrange of the M-100 to sound like: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaM100.pdf

Overall, I actually still prefer the Phiaton over the M-100.  Quick note though, this one on comfort, the proper placement with these is a little more tricky, once you get it, these headphones Will be more comfortable resting on the ears.  Phiaton says these are over-ears, with the proper fit placement, they are.  They may not fare too well with small ears.  The pads are thicker, and softer than the M-100, but the overall size is a lot smaller.  Tyll has classified them as on-ear, I can get them to fit over the ear though, but you have to place them precisely or it won't fit over-ear properly.   

Sound-wise, these are very strong contenders.  The bass still has a low-bass emphasis create stronger, thicker impact.  Actually, the bass as a whole is a lot thicker.  Texturing is there, but does not give the fluidity that it should being a little too solid.  The midbass punch is there, but can be a bit overshadowed by the lower-bass; it's also not as tight as most would like.  The midrange has ample detailing down low, the headphones aren't aggressive in any way about details.  The upper midrange clarity is very strong with these while vocals can shine in both the lower and upper octaves.  Treble overall has great extension throughout, separation and detailing remains strong in the upper treble.  In the lower treble, presence seems a little lost at times.  Require more detail?  Wait for the whole review XD

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #47 of 50
The MS500's sound real good.  They have some really nice sub-bass that is reminds me of my Denon D2000s.  For on-ear cans they even have good isolation.  I'm still burning them in but I'm really pleased with these and they're super comfortable.  I've been listening to mainly EDM and man they sound good with that genre.  I'll post more once they've burned in more.  Please feel free to ask questions if you have any too and I'll do my best to answer them.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #48 of 50
I got both the M100 and the MS500 this week for review. I have to say, I love them both, but the MS500 is purely the best headphone that I've heard. These may very well replace my DT770 Pro as my favorite headphone. Now to get the Momentum, MDR-R1, KEF M500, and B&W P7... I need to compare these.. It will all come in due time, I hope. 

I also have Phiaton's MS400 "Fusion" headphone. The signature is similar to the Bridge MS500, but the Bridge's is definitely more refined- especially in the midrange.. I actually might go as far as to call the Fusion a bass-light headphone. Its mids are quite forward. While they sound amazing as well, their signature don't fit me as well as the MS500's does. 

TL;DR, the MS500 is amazing and I want to compare it with more top $300 portables

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #49 of 50
Byrnie, Can you tell me if your MS500's say "Made in China" under the L on the left earcup hinge? I bought a pair and in viewing pics online, I haven't seen that marking on other pairs.... Thanks so much for your help in advance it is much appreciated.

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #50 of 50
Byrnie, Can you tell me if your MS500's say "Made in China" under the L on the left earcup hinge? I bought a pair and in viewing pics online, I haven't seen that marking on other pairs.... Thanks so much for your help in advance it is much appreciated.

Mine do not have any markings on either hinge.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back