Perreaux SXH-1 Headphone Amp at AA
Aug 31, 2003 at 4:52 PM Post #136 of 503
Quote:

Originally posted by Magic77
I hear what you are saying about the "Loudness". It actually "is" better when an amp hits those higher levels gradually.

I think that is what was referred to and meant in the post about the Perreaux's Power. Loud enough, but not too loud, like you said.

Oh you can hit "too loud" volumes with the SXH-1, no problem there. There is no lack of power at all. I'm just saying, for example with my MG Head, by 10 o'clock on the dial I am at very loud volumes, too loud by 11 o'clock. With the Perreaux I hit equally loud volumes, and too loud of volumes much later on the dial (12-2 o'clock) so it allows me to have greater control over a fine tuned level.

I think we are just talking about gain here basically is all. Not really power. Power, meaning ample current for driving, isn't an issue with the SXH-1 in my experiences so far.

Aug 31, 2003 at 4:54 PM Post #137 of 503
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
TEAM GUINEA PIG is growing...so far we have:

Sean H
vrao81
Sovkiller

and me...

plenty of room left in the Lemm.....errr I mean.....Guinea Pig cage....
smily_headphones1.gif

come on Lextek...you KNOW you want it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I thought we deemed this TEAM SMALL KNOB, or something to that effect?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2003 at 4:55 PM Post #138 of 503
Quote:

TEAM GUINEA PIG is growing...so far we have:

Sean H
vrao81
Sovkiller

and me...

plenty of room left in the Lemm.....errr I mean.....Guinea Pig cage....
smily_headphones1.gif

come on Lextek...you KNOW you want it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I need a new source first.

Aug 31, 2003 at 5:08 PM Post #140 of 503
Quote:

Oh yeah...TEAM DINKY KNOB
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, there we go! LOL!
600smile.gif

Aug 31, 2003 at 5:31 PM Post #142 of 503
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
I thought we deemed this TEAM SMALL KNOB, or something to that effect?
smily_headphones1.gif

I like that, "Small Knob (Guinea Pig) Team" In fact it will be the first thing I will roll off, knobrolling .... ROFLMAO
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

what kind of pole does that control has, the one with the flat side, the round one with a bolt, or the one with dents??? I will like something like the one on the new chineese valve amp with the golden round window at the front ....

BTW I just receive this email from one of the representatives there, I just explained them whom we are, and he gladly accepted:

"....Yes, I can honor this offer. The coupon code has expired. If you order online, but in a regular order, put it to my attention. I will change the price and send you a confirming email. Please order it by Tuesday AM, so that I can make sure that it won't print at the higher price....."

hope this helps

Aug 31, 2003 at 5:50 PM Post #143 of 503
Quote:

But he has a lot more experience than I do.

Experience is great, but it's all about enjoyment. If you enjoy what you're hearing, than there is nothing better.

Ignorance is Bliss.
wink.gif

My perspective about power is probably slanted a bit. When I had the Prehead and was using the 600's, I wasn't turning the volume past ten or eleven o'clock. To me, power is all about giving me the maximum amount of detail and dynamics with high impedence cans at the lowest possible volume.

My Gilmore had more "power" than the Perreaux in this context, but I felt that it didn't allow this with the 880's. While not having the"power" of other amps, the Perreaux really allowed the 880's to perform and be the headphones that they could be. Personally I think the Gilmore amps are better suited for the Grado's, but that's just me.

Sean H saying he doesn't turn the volume past twelve o'clock on the Perreaux just tells me I'm getting old and need to get my hearing checked.
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #144 of 503
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody

Sean H saying he doesn't turn the volume past twelve o'clock on the Perreaux just tells me I'm getting old and need to get my hearing checked.
biggrin.gif

Hah!
smily_headphones1.gif
Could not agree more with you about the Gilmore pairing better with Grado's. I did not like the HD600/Gilmore pairing. At lower volumes the Gilmore and Senn's just didn't do it. The good thing with the Perreaux is I find it does power the Senn's well at lower and mid volumes. I don't listen to music very loud myself. The amp has very nice microdynamics even at low volumes. Definitely happy in that regard over here.

Perhaps my tube DAC behind the Perreuax is adding some good dynamics at lower volumes as well. It may have a slightly higher than standard voltage output too.

Aug 31, 2003 at 6:03 PM Post #145 of 503
Quote:

Originally posted by vrao81
Just a heads up for anyone interested in this amp....the $50 off and free shipping promotion ends tomorrow.....

Wait a second, I got the $300 deal but not free shipping. Does it clearly say shipping is free? If so, I'm calling back for a credit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2003 at 6:12 PM Post #146 of 503
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
Wait a second, I got the $300 deal but not free shipping. Does it clearly say shipping is free? If so, I'm calling back for a credit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep, free shipping just call them, I paid just 299.95.....

Aug 31, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #147 of 503
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Yep, free shipping just call them, I paid just 299.95.....

Hey you're right.....I just emailed them to request my shipping refund as well. Thanks for the heads up guys. It's only $11.95 but thats the price of a CD or DVD
smily_headphones1.gif

John

FYI...this is the ad from the newsletter:

5. $50 Savings on New Compact Perreaux SXH1 Headphone Amp and SXV1 Phono Stage

SXH1 Headphone Amp
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...p?sku=PERRSXH1

SXV1 Phono Stage
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...p?sku=PERRSXV1

Regular Price: $349.95 - Now Only $299.95 with $50 Instant Rebate Coupon Plus FREE Shipping*!

Use Coupon Code: WNPERSX

Aug 31, 2003 at 6:30 PM Post #149 of 503
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
Nice avatar.
biggrin.gif

You guys might want to avoid the "Team Dinky Knob" moniker though. We don't need any unnecessary stereotyping going on here.
very_evil_smiley.gif

LMAO....I was actually thinking the same thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #150 of 503
Willliam,
I'm wondering that will the Perreaux goes well with my CD3000? I know you said that b/f, but I feel that sometime my V.1 and CD3K is a tad too bright. I'm thinking about joining the "pig" team. How the Perreaux compares to the Maxed Out Meta and Gilmore V.1.

Thank,
Purk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back