Perreaux SXH-1 Headphone Amp at AA
Aug 29, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #106 of 503
Quote:

Originally posted by seefeel
Can anyone name any amplifiers that fit this description?

The Blockhead.
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2003 at 9:58 PM Post #108 of 503
Singlepower "Supra" or if you want even more power the "SDS"

Aug 29, 2003 at 10:41 PM Post #109 of 503
shx1.jpg

Ok, the Perreaux SXH-1 is in the house and is currently burning in. Much smaller than I anticipated myself. Solidly built all around except for the volume knob. Yikes! Doesn't look like aluminum to me. Seems to be plastic and plus it feels really cheap. But, hey if it sounds good that's most important I guess.

So far it has passed the "fresh out of the box sound," which is really meaningless at this point. With the HD600/Equinox first thing that hit me was the excellent transparency John talked about, well open but not bright or edgy. We'll give it some time here.

Aug 29, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #110 of 503
Hey Sean,

Why not post that photo on the thread where the photos of the headphone rigs are? I am trying to scrounge up a digicam to borrow to take one and send it in myself. I really liked the shot there with the ASL amps all over the place and the new Perreaux amp on top of the shelf. Cool!

Aug 30, 2003 at 2:30 AM Post #111 of 503
Great shot Sean,,,,can't wait till your impressions start rolling in. WilliamGoody is coming over tomorrow with a bag of phones and another set of ears so we will doing some fun comparisons thanks to the duo headphone jacks on this baby!

Aug 30, 2003 at 2:39 AM Post #112 of 503
Quote:

Originally posted by seefeel
Hey Sovkiller,
In the general price range of the MG Head, what amp would you consider "not" rolled off in the bass? I would love to find an amp that would give a little more oomph in the bass to the HD600s than the MG Head is capable of but still sound as good.
Thanks!

Sorry, I just have tried these two amps, but I consider also IME the HD600 a limitation for the bass, that is why I got the CD3000, in IME all the Sony's that I have tried, beat the Senn in that dept, 7506, 7509, V700, V900, other will be the DT770, but is not in the same league of the HD600.....well......hum....in the same price range? Well, I have an idea, hirsch like it with the Grado RA-1, according to him is a pretty good match, I have never tried it, but hirsch is considered one of the amp gurus here, in your shoes I will give it a try....

Aug 30, 2003 at 2:44 AM Post #113 of 503
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
Now, the CD3000's are said to have great bass. What amps have you used yours with Sovkiller?

The best bass I have gotten form it was out of my speaker amp (Audiosource Amp Two) BTW very good sound, I love it, just that the hiss is a little bit annoying sometimes, other than this, the gilmore was a joke, and I'm still trying to figure out which will be the one that will make us happy in that dpt....

Aug 30, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #114 of 503
John- Hey, great! Tell Bill hi, I just sold him a pair of tubes this past week. See what he thinks of this amp, I'd love to hear it! I'm sitting here so badly wanting to shoot off some impressions but I am going to make myself wait to make it more credible. All I know is I'm pretty shocked at this point as to what I am hearing to say the least. I hadn't expected this for this price. I haven't heard HD600's sound this way before, in my experiences anyway. Now if we can just get Tuberoller to listen to it and post a review to get them to believe us.
smily_headphones1.gif

Though not hot the top of my amp is a touch warm. Comparitively speaking the Gilmore V2 got downright HOT. Man that volume knob, it's just boggling. I feel like it's going to break. But hey, who gives a damn at this point.

EDIT: Line outputs are fixed, like Tape Outs, so it cannot function as a preamp, unfortunately.

Aug 30, 2003 at 2:49 AM Post #115 of 503
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
Great shot Sean,,,,can't wait till your impressions start rolling in. WilliamGoody is coming over tomorrow with a bag of phones and another set of ears so we will doing some fun comparisons thanks to the duo headphone jacks on this baby!

Hey John:
Buddy don't forget ot keep us updated about the match with the CD3000, Bill has one pair, and please if is not asking toooo much find out with him, or maybe you by memory, if it is better than the Corda's on the bass dpt at least.

Aug 30, 2003 at 2:53 AM Post #116 of 503
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Hey John:
Buddy don't forget ot keep up updated about the match with the CD3000, Bill has one pair, and please if is not asking toooo much find out with him, or maybe you by memory, if it is better than the Corda's on the bass dpt at least.

Don't worry Sov...we got your back covered on the CD3Ks audition one way or the other.

3000smile.gif

John

Aug 31, 2003 at 5:43 AM Post #117 of 503
Wow, very cool guys, thanks for all that! I'll bet that was a heck of a lot of fun. Some damn nice stuff there! I concur with everything you guys have been saying and since it looks like there weren't any HD600's there I can definitely vouch for its pairing with the SXH-1.

I'm at about the 30 hour mark in the burn in process myself and all I have used is the HD600's (Equinox). Source has been my Cal Sigma II tube DAC. This amp is definitely a competitor at and in IMO well beyond it's price range (if not triple it's price). Even at these early stages no less this amp's ability to get out of the way and let a huge amount of information come through is pretty darn amazing and considering the price it's a head scratcher. The SXH-1's transparency is absolutely amazing.

It's driving the 300 ohm HD600's seemingly with relative ease. The HD600's are sounding very alive, snappy and dynamic. The SXH-1 seems to have a nice grip on these cans, something I did not expect to happen at all. I've been throwing classic rock, electronica/ambient, Classical and Jazz at it and it never seems to want to favor one genre over another.

Most importantly, to me at least, the SXH-1 gets the midrange right in spades and the bass and treble regions are exceptional as well. John really summed it up well: the amp sounds more transparent than any amp he's listened to in his limited experience and that there is simply more musical information getting to his ears. The sound is detailed and alive sounding without any fatigue. Ditto, that's about exactly what's happening here as well. Rich, seamless, wildly open window to the music. Just phenominal transparency even at this early stage.

Anyhow, great sounding amp indeed. I don't want to get too ahead of msyelf. So far I'm surprised to say the least, this amp is a killer at this price.

Aug 31, 2003 at 7:28 AM Post #118 of 503
Well I just pull the trigger.......finally, for 300.00 is hard not to do it, so I will be the next guinea pig in line....let's hope this little toy won't disapointed me......BTW how many hours do you suggest, guys, to burn in before a serious listening? I just want a deep bass and a clear sound, the more the better...the highs are not a problem with the CD3000 I think, so let's wait now....

Aug 31, 2003 at 8:08 AM Post #119 of 503
Quote:

Wow, very cool guys, thanks for all that! I'll bet that was a heck of a lot of fun. Some damn nice stuff there! I concur with everything you guys have been saying and since it looks like there weren't any HD600's there I can definitely vouch for its pairing with the SXH-1.

I'm at about the 30 hour mark in the burn in process myself and all I have used is the HD600's (Equinox). Source has been my Cal Sigma II tube DAC. This amp is definitely a competitor at and in IMO well beyond it's price range (if not triple it's price). Even at these early stages no less this amp's ability to get out of the way and let a huge amount of information come through is pretty darn amazing and considering the price it's a head scratcher. The SXH-1's transparency is absolutely amazing.

It's driving the 300 ohm HD600's seemingly with relative ease. The HD600's are sounding very alive, snappy and dynamic. The SXH-1 seems to have a nice grip on these cans, something I did not expect to happen at all. I've been throwing classic rock, electronica/ambient, Classical and Jazz at it and it never seems to want to favor one genre over another.

Most importantly, to me at least, the SXH-1 gets the midrange right in spades and the bass and treble regions are exceptional as well. John really summed it up well: the amp sounds more transparent than any amp he's listened to in his limited experience and that there is simply more musical information getting to his ears. The sound is detailed and alive sounding without any fatigue. Ditto, that's about exactly what's happening here as well. Rich, seamless, wildly open window to the music. Just phenominal transparency even at this early stage.

Anyhow, great sounding amp indeed. I don't want to get too ahead of msyelf. So far I'm surprised to say the least, this amp is a killer at this price.

Oh man you are making me drool all over myself
icon10.gif

Aug 31, 2003 at 8:59 AM Post #120 of 503
Quote:

Any words on how this amp compares to your MG Head, previously owned Gilmore or home-auditioned Emmeline? (yay I can read profiles!
wink.gif
).

My cans of choice are the HD600/Equinox as well, great with MG Head.

-dd3mon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back