Perreaux SHX-1 lovers
Dec 25, 2003 at 6:05 AM Post #76 of 108
The Perreaux 0.3 units I had here ran rather warm. One got quite hot when I failed to give it plenty of shelf space above it. The new version is said to run at a higher current, but then later they said it would run cooler. So, I don't know what to believe.

Dec 25, 2003 at 6:16 AM Post #77 of 108
Quote:

My Perreaux runs quite hot, much hotter than I expected.

mine doesn't. it's only warm. it's actually cooler than what i would expect from a pure class A amp. i dunno... are you sure it's hot?--what are you comparing it to? compared to some power amps i have, this headamp is actually ice-cold, relatively. well, if you can put your hand on it, and leave it there without hurting, i wouldn't worry about it.
Quote:

Is this going to reduce component life much?

again, i wouldn't worry about it unless if it's too hot to touch.

i leave mine on my desk, and it's winter time... and i don't heat the house. so, maybe that's why mine is still lukewarm. i dunno... stoney's seems to heat up a bit more.... so i don't think you have anything to worry about.

i have a Monarchy class A power amp... that thing gets so hot during the summer that you can literally fry an egg on top of it. really. (great amp incidentally.) i also have a Hafler 1000watt amp that has two fans inside. with the fans blowing, enough hot air is blown out that you probably can heat a small room with that thing. not exaggerating!

Dec 25, 2003 at 4:48 PM Post #79 of 108
Quote:

Originally posted by Stoney
The Perreaux 0.3 units I had here ran rather warm. One got quite hot when I failed to give it plenty of shelf space above it. The new version is said to run at a higher current, but then later they said it would run cooler. So, I don't know what to believe.

I was confused about that too. I was under the impression that the amp would be a little further into Class A with the mod and so it would likely run hotter. But now I've seen them say otherwise!
blink.gif

I've noticed that the temperature of the amp is greatly affected by a few things. I noticed it gets much warmer to touch when I've used it with my Grado's whereas with the Senn's it runs very cool. The environment it is in makes quite a difference too, I keep mine in a cooler basement in an area where there is non-stagnant air with normal inter-room circulation. Contrast that with having the amp at my work place with less circulation, near some nearby incandescent lighting and with my Grado's it gets pretty warm. Also, I noticed using Vibrapods, or currently I am using Cardas Cuboids, under the amp getting it up off the surface, makes a big difference too allowing air to move under and around the amp to cool it. The warmest it has ever got I would never use the term "hot" to decribe the temp. In my normal everday use with Senn's, having it on my rack - in my basement - I can barely even sense any warmth at all.

Dec 25, 2003 at 8:42 PM Post #82 of 108
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
is the perreaux pure class A or it switches?

Pure class A....don't worry.....according ot the manual and to them....

Dec 25, 2003 at 9:11 PM Post #83 of 108
Quote:

Originally posted by anearfull
According to their website, it's pure Class A:
http://www.perreaux.com/product.php?idp=48

I must say that browsing their other products adds to my confidence in this little amp. Perreaux is a high end company with a complete line of products.

Peter

Oh, definitely. That's why I've been so baffled with this hum issue thing, they are a very reputable company and have a huge line of very high end products. They have been around for a long time as well. No fears, they are well respected.

Dec 26, 2003 at 5:47 AM Post #85 of 108
I have spent quite a few hours listening to my new SXH1 today. What a wonderful little amp! I am planning a detailed review of my impression on its sonic attributes, but thought I'd mention a few quick observations on the new 0.5 version:

1. Hum: I have both Sennheiser HD600's and Grado SR125's. With the low impedance Grados, no hum is evident.

2. Overheating: My unit is cool to the touch after running all day! Having compared the MOSFET output devices with photos of previous 0.3 versions, they look different. Also a few changes to overall circuit topology. Whatever the changes, it runs very cool now. (The top is not even luke warm to the touch)

3. Knob rubbing: Looks like a larger hole in the face plate, and the "dinky knob" sticks out a tad farther for a better grip.

4. Spurious noise on power-off: None!

If my new unit is the "norm", looks like the issues that caused concern in the earlier editions have been corrected.

So far, this little wonder is much more than I expected for the bucks spent. Amazing!

Dec 26, 2003 at 7:18 AM Post #86 of 108
GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's see howl ong I could resist before jumping on one again, just for curiosity.....

Dec 26, 2003 at 10:33 AM Post #88 of 108
Today it was around 40 degrees celcius, when I put my hand on the Perreaux I actually burnt myself (I could still notice it 20 mins later). Its in a shady location but is it bad to be running it in this heat?
At the moment I have a small silent fan blowing over the unit which helps a little.

Dec 26, 2003 at 12:03 PM Post #89 of 108
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's see howl ong I could resist before jumping on one again, just for curiosity.....

if they ever lower the price back to $300 i know i probably won't be able to hold out long
biggrin.gif
...'til then i'm gonna hafta make do with 1 sxh1 (0.5)...

Dec 27, 2003 at 3:47 PM Post #90 of 108
Tubebo:
I'm still pondering the merits of the Perreaux versus the SinglePower PPX3. In an ideal world, I'd just go down to my local UberStore and audition them both. Unfortunately, I'm stuck trying to parse written comments from different users and translate that into what my own ears will ultimately hear … an exercise in fantasy!

I’ll be using whichever amp I choose to drive HD600s and like a “tubey” sound. At a recent HeadFi meet here in Ottawa, I had a chance to listen to my Senns driven by both a Headroom Max and an MG Head MkII … as great as the Max sounded, I preferred the much less expensive tube amp. With a handle like “Tubebo” I’m sure you can understand where I’m coming from.

I asked Mikhail about using the PPX3 with Senns and here’s his reply:
“We voice all of our amps with the CD3000, HD600, and RS-1.
The HD600 does very well with the MPX3 and the Supra. The
PPX3 will do fine as well, but we recommend at least an MPX3
for maximum performance. We have many customers who listen
to the MPX3 and Supra with HD600 and HD650.”

From all reports, the PPX3 is a terrific tube amp and if I weren’t using it with HD600s my decision would be clear. Mikhail certainly didn’t rule out using the Senns with the PPX3 however the phrase: “The PPX3 will do fine as well, but we recommend at least an MPX3 for maximum performance.” raises questions. Perhaps it still sounds fabulous but just a tad less fabulous than with an MPX3. His ears are probably far more discerning than mine.

The obvious solution is for me to get an MPX3 however that’s twice the price! Since you’re a tube fanatic and HD600 owner, can you comment on your feelings regarding the Perreaux versus tube amps for driving the Senns.

Thanks

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back