Perreaux SHX-1 lovers
Dec 27, 2003 at 3:54 PM Post #91 of 108
I'd probably pick another one up (returned first two because of hum) if I knew for sure that the hum would be gone.

Dec 28, 2003 at 12:46 AM Post #92 of 108
anearfull

As far as my take on the Perreaux vs the PPX3, I have not had the opportunity to hear it. I owned a Antique Labs MG head DT, before the OTL option was added, and it was a very good combination with the Senn 600's. There are of course many many posts in Head-Fi about this combo.

With the vintage tubes I had installed on my MG Head, the sound was very warm in the mids, that creamy smooth and a tad fat tube sound that flatters harsh sounding recordings. The mids are to die for, the top sweet, and there is that hard to describe "naturalness" that tubes lend to strings and brass in particular.

On the negative, the bottom end was rolled off, and details tend to be "hazed" a bit. And typical of tubes vs solid state, the dynamics are not as good as with the better solid state designs, ( like the Perreaux) The bass is much better on the Perreaux. Deeper, with more punch and detail. And the resolution and space with the Perreaux is superb!

For my personal taste's. I prefer the Perreaux over the MG Head. I also owned a Creek OBH10. It was just a tad better than the headphone jack on my Marantz PM17 amp.

Hope this helps-good luck to you!

Dec 28, 2003 at 1:13 AM Post #93 of 108
The Perreaux has a tubey touch, the tubes lovers may love it, IMO it is the amp in my next purchase, I will wait until someone get one, and modded to better caps, and maybe fast recovery diodes, to see how the things may improve in the bass dept...but for sure I get another....

Tube amps are nice but just ot deal with the hassle of the good tubes, made me look to SS, I owned the MGHead and the good tubes are very hard to find, and my hobby is the music, not the tubes hunting...

Dec 28, 2003 at 2:08 AM Post #94 of 108
Quote:

Originally posted by TUBEBO
On the negative, the bottom end was a rolled off, and details tend to be "hazed" a bit. And typical of tubes vs solid state, the dynamics are not as good as with the better solid state designs, ( like the Perreaux) The bass is much better on the Perreaux. Deeper, with more punch and detail. And the resolution and space with the Perreaux is superb!

For my personal taste's. I prefer the Perreaux over the MG Head. I also owned a Creek OBH10. It was just a tad better than the headphone jack on my Marantz PM17 amp.

I replaced my MG Head OTL MKII with the Perreaux and as I awaited the delivery of the Perreaux I could only hope it would come close to the beautiful mids of the MG Head. I can't say I am missing much! The Perreaux retains a large portion of those sweet mids of the MG Head and then greatly improves upon the MG Head's detail resolution, clarity, bass (in every way) and size of space but never crosses over into anything hard, dry or etched. For me I've always been one of those lovers of both tube and solid state having been through both types in two channel rigs. My favorites and the ones that hit me right there were the ones that sounded like a blend of both worlds. The Perreaux seems to fall right in line with this and is why I like it so much.

Dec 28, 2003 at 2:43 AM Post #95 of 108
Sean H says’s it well! I agree that the mids and even the highs have a very tube like character. And I also enjoy the sonic flavors that both tube and good solid state bring to the sound. The Perreaux really does a fine job in blending what I think are the best of those worlds. I might miss tube rolling a bit, but on the flip side, it keeps me from seeking "tube nirvana" and driving myself, the wife, and perhaps the dog crazy with my constant ravings!

Bottom line, the Perreaux does a lot of things very very well. I think that this little amp is a keeper!

Dec 31, 2003 at 10:49 PM Post #96 of 108
Now with the hum supposedly being fixed and the unit again on sale at AA I knew I couldn't hold out long.

I am currently out of town. But I look forward to getting home. As I will have my new Perreaux and HD650 to play with!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2004 at 6:20 AM Post #97 of 108
Guys,
I would like to inform you guys that the latest revision of Perreaux is hum free. I recieved a replacement unit from AA this afternoon and I heard no hum. My perreaux is burning in right now, and it sounds as good as ever. Being hum free making the Perreaux a "must buy" for 350 dollars amp.

Jan 7, 2004 at 6:29 AM Post #98 of 108
Great to know that....

Jan 7, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #100 of 108
Hi,
I'll let the Perreaux run non-stop for two or three days or so and will give you guys an update. So far (1.5 hours), it doesn't get hot. I took pictures of the two version for comparison, V0.3 and V0.5. Since I don't have my own website to hold the pics, let me know if you want to host the pictures for us. There are about 3 or 4 changes that Perreaux done to their original amp.

Purk

Jan 7, 2004 at 7:19 AM Post #102 of 108
It would be wize to let it rest a few hours a day. One manufacturer actually recommends this for break in. Also, make sure it has unrestricted air flow around it. I had a Perreaux get quite hot when burning in. Lastly, use only levels that you would actually listen at. More won't necessarily break in it faster, and can risk overheating of voice coils and amp components.

Jan 7, 2004 at 12:38 PM Post #103 of 108
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
Hi,
I'll let the Perreaux run non-stop for two or three days or so and will give you guys an update. So far (1.5 hours), it doesn't get hot. I took pictures of the two version for comparison, V0.3 and V0.5. Since I don't have my own website to hold the pics, let me know if you want to host the pictures for us. There are about 3 or 4 changes that Perreaux done to their original amp.

Purk

i've already taken/posted pics of the .3...sure they can be found fairly easily...& i plan on takin' pics of my .5 tonight then postin' 'em here but i wasn't plannin' a review or anything so if anyone wants me to host their pics of the perreaux i'd be more than happy to do it...

Jan 7, 2004 at 1:15 PM Post #104 of 108
Quote:

Originally posted by emelius
i've been checkin' that site for 'bout 2 months now...someone might want to remind the guy
rolleyes.gif
...he's updated the site a few times since originally puttin' that as well...

I just spoke with him yesterday while I was ordering a cable for my AKG 271. He is buried under orders, and hasn't had much time to do anything else. He really cares about the quality of his products, and makes most of the stuff himself. So, I guess the WWW site updates are on the back-burner for him.

Nice fellow, great cables!

Jan 7, 2004 at 1:46 PM Post #105 of 108
oh ya i'm sure he's great...just sayin' it's been months since he originally put that...i meant to imply he may have other things on his mind not that he's lazy...i'm really lookin' forward to the read...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back