PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Feb 21, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #8,806 of 9,120
Are there any boot priority settings to change? I've found that sometimes if you set your boot drive as the first drive to boot from (so it doesn't need to check for a USB or optical drive), it speeds things up.

This. And some computers do a pretty long test of all the parts in the computer, you can also sometimes turn those off. I had a desktop that would check all devices (RAM, HDD, HDD SMART, USB devices, etc.) for issues before booting into OS. Not sure if you laptop does that, and if you can turn them off.

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #8,808 of 9,120
Boot times on X99 are only marginally slower though... I don't see why that is a concern to anyone, it is only boot time, just don't turn off your computer and you will be fine. You aren't going to win an award or anything for having the fastest boot time, but you will feel the difference in power.
sure, the usage is great and far better than anything I've had before, but when my first gen surface pro and my Lenovo Yoga 3 pro (core M) hit the desktop faster...

Average boot speed from power button being pressed to all services loaded is just under a minute, or half that if hybrid boot kicks in (that is inconsistent, wish I knew what triggered if that works or not when powering down, all I can ascertain is that if the Asus status shows as A0 that it'll boot as 40 [hybrid] or if A1 then AA [regular])

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #8,810 of 9,120
  does boot speed really matter?

i mean i hit the button on the front and then immediately wander off to make coffee,  thats it on for the day.

Yeah it matters. Why wouldn't it? If everyone just made coffee every time they had to wait for their computer to do something that could be done quicker, what's the point of component upgrades that results in faster load times? Gotta Go Fast.

Feb 22, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #8,811 of 9,120
  Yeah it matters. Why wouldn't it? If everyone just made coffee every time they had to wait for their computer to do something that could be done quicker, what's the point of component upgrades that results in faster load times? Gotta Go Fast.

oh yes lots and lots of things i want ever faster, much much much faster.  but if somuthing has a boot pause, takes 10 seconds more, pfft its a one off event ill never notice. 

not tahd i could go back to booting of a spinning hard drive, oh god they take practicaly years

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #8,813 of 9,120
Are there any boot priority settings to change? I've found that sometimes if you set your boot drive as the first drive to boot from (so it doesn't need to check for a USB or optical drive), it speeds things up

My laptop doesn't restart unless it's installing updates. Sleep mode whoo. That said, that's a pretty slow post time, seems sketchy.

This. And some computers do a pretty long test of all the parts in the computer, you can also sometimes turn those off. I had a desktop that would check all devices (RAM, HDD, HDD SMART, USB devices, etc.) for issues before booting into OS. Not sure if you laptop does that, and if you can turn them off.

Yeah, you should be able to disable POST in most modern UEFI BIOSes, just find the "fast/quick boot" option if there is one.

Combo reply to all of you. 

It isn't an issue. It's with my setup. It was more of a #FirstWorldProblem rant than a problem

My computer has different levels of POST checking, normal, thorough, and minimal with boot screen or not option. I keep it on normal.

Also, I disable secureboot, fastboot, and some of the S# sleep options because it screws with being able to access UEFI.

I have multiple operating systems installed on a PCIe SSD which does add to POST and booting the main EFI.cfg because it is still a technology that isn't as seemlessly integrated. I have a list of 3-4 boot managers long that tell my PC where to boot to for what OS on what partition.

I also gave my POST and decent POST screen time delay for keyboard as I was doing OS installs in the past.

The fastest bootup modes on my laptop were RAID mode (computer doesn't have to be in RAID, most new laptops/desktops ship with SATA set to RAID). But because of the other OS, Ubuntuu and other things, I had to modify it to AHCI and set some stuff up which further makes POST longer. Also, it has two GPUs which will often add a slight bit to boot in POST and whatnot.

It isn't a long long POST at all. Just slightly more  than I'd like. 

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #8,814 of 9,120
Boot time is just another one of those things people show off. There is a certain point where it stops being actually useful and just becomes epeen.
That to be fair, is true - just puzzles me that my X99 / i7 setup boots slower than a Core M laptop...

Z97 is faster too... definitely not a major 'problem', just a shame that the X99 platform couldn't have top notch speed throughout.

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #8,815 of 9,120
That to be fair, is true - just puzzles me that my X99 / i7 setup boots slower than a Core M laptop...

Z97 is faster too... definitely not a major 'problem', just a shame that the X99 platform couldn't have top notch speed throughout.

There's more stuff to check in an X99 platform, mostly the DRAM check. You can probably shave 4-6 seconds off buy disabling or reordering the POST sequence of various controllers in the BIOS. I don't think it's worth the effort though to be honest.

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #8,816 of 9,120
You can change the order of the POST sequence? I thought that they were always set to be the most complete and "correct". Making sure that there was not something redundant or missed due to the dependents.

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #8,817 of 9,120
Yes, you can disable the memory tuning check and things like that... One thing I cannot seem to shake is what I guess is an IRQ conflict (DD/D4 alternating rapidly for 2-3 seconds) but as said, not enough to lose sleep over

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #8,818 of 9,120
I know that tests can be disabled, but I am curious about changing the order of things. Fast boot skips certain tests that are not necessary for a computer that is perfectly fine, and while that changes the order, it is not manually changed, the BIOs already knows what to disable/enable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back