PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Feb 7, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #8,777 of 9,120

Both Clevo p775 w AUO 4K screen and Acer Predator w the same screen just appeared on market, and I already read all reviews existent on internet for both. 

I was kinda asking for personal opinions and advice, maybe someone had once an experience similar to mine, or someone owns the same model and can give input. 

As far as I am concerned, I can get 4K + gtx980m + i7 6700hq for 2320$, and a clevo w desktop 980 and i7-6700K would cost up to 3650, about 50% more. I highly doubt that I would really want to dive so deep, but I love to make sure that I am doing the right thing. I *think I would want the clevo, but I am way too afraid that cooling and components contacts might come off bad on my side. Also, they have GPUs on chips, thing which leaves me up with asking how exactly do you fit that component on coolers, I mean, CPU cooling can be so and so, but GPU cooling needs to be top notch, and from youtube, it seems that the person who sells it must apply thermal paste directly on gpu, and I am not sure about that. 

In another order of thoughts, I think that after watching so many videos about acer predator, there is way too little data on it, like how does it feel in real life usage. 

A desktop 980 in any laptop form factor is going to be limited by cooling, not least if it's stuck in there with a desktop CPU. The thermal paste they use is the least of the problems with a unit like that.

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #8,779 of 9,120
  I don't know anything about computers... but you know.... http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bZr36h

Thanks. I thought about doing something like that actually, but the only thing that stopped me is true portability. Think about things this way : I live in Bucharest during school, and once two weeks I take some free time and go to my home in Campulung at 150KM distance. I work here, so I need full power for processing, but while I am at home in Campulung, I actually play more and end up watching anime for longer periods, so I need full power both of these times. That mini computer (I actually studied and it seems do-able, even with water cooling) will not be portable, as I travel by bus, and it would not be small enough, and it will be too heavy to take in a backpack. 

And the most important aspect, the screen. I really watch a ton of anime, a ton of movies, and do professional work with photo editing (like creating marketing, designing UI elements, designing software, etc. So the screen color space coverage is of great importance. This screen seems like best on market for laptops, and as my research on what I can buy, most standalone displays that would compete would set me back more than 300$. 

http://www.panelook.com/B173ZAN01.0_AUO_17.3_LCM_overview_25358.html

This is the main real reason I do want a laptop, because otherwise, for this money, I am sure that I could get a much stronger computer build, and run 4K + 980 + gaming effortlessly. 

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #8,780 of 9,120
Sure... because you need to have top of the line stuff to do tasks that could be done on cheaper, lighter hardware. Perhaps you really should do some research, because I can probably find about a million benchmarks on lower level hardware that will accomplish the exact same thing.

You should also google up the "placebo effect" and "studies on the effect of marketing". You might learn something.

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #8,781 of 9,120
  Sure... because you need to have top of the line stuff to do tasks that could be done on cheaper, lighter hardware. Perhaps you really should do some research, because I can probably find about a million benchmarks on lower level hardware that will accomplish the exact same thing.

You should also google up the "placebo effect" and "studies on the effect of marketing". You might learn something.

Yeah, I kind of know that. But I do already have a laptop with gtx860m + i7-4710hq + 16gbram + 256ssd + http://www.panelook.com/LP173WF4-SPF1_LG%20Display_17.3_LCM_overview_21056.html

I know that what I already have should do a lot, but I still need more. This is why I want more 
biggrin.gif

I do believe that I might fall for some marketing, but at the same time, it is un-deniable that coverage of 100% adobergb will be visible to most people vs 70adobergb or 91srgb. 

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #8,783 of 9,120
  Yeah... you have no clue.

?

It would help me more to explain to me where I am wrong 
redface.gif

I do aggressive research when it comes to buying something, and all in all, under all circumstances, for the next few years I want laptops. Maybe in 3-4 years I will buy a super-PC, but until then, I need to have all the processing power with me. 

Install mpc-hc + madVR. Crank up edge thinning, edge sharpening in both image enhancements and scaling algorithms -> upscaling refinement. Then try to add some chroma upscaling to at least needi 64, and see if it drops frames. I cannot do that with a gtx860m, I need to drop all upscaling refinement and chroma upscaling to at most super-xbr 150, needi 16 has videos where it drops frames. 

I am a heavy user of madVR, not to mention I do work with software writing and hardware design. I just cannot know how good is something going to be before touching it and putting it to test, this is why I am asking. 

I do believe (educated guess) that a clevo with both desktop gpu and cpu will not throttle, because notebookcheck did extensive research, and it does not seem so. 

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #8,784 of 9,120
Ummmm, yeah, you really should look up what the "placebo effect" is... I used to work with video a lot working with encoding and decoding along with some rendering on end user side (though I don't do it actively anymore)... and you have the wrong idea of what the algorithms and filters do to video. You also don't have any idea what it changes in accordance to the display and how much of an impact it can have. You must do some pretty aggressive research if you have almost no idea what you are talking about...

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #8,785 of 9,120
  Ummmm, yeah, you really should look up what the "placebo effect" is... I used to work with video a lot working with encoding and decoding along with some rendering on end user side (though I don't do it actively anymore)... and you have the wrong idea of what the algorithms and filters do to video. You also don't have any idea what it changes in accordance to the display and how much of an impact it can have. You must do some pretty aggressive research if you have almost no idea what you are talking about...

So filters applied on videos change the way videos look, what else is to say? I am using madVR in real time, I use it to change the way videos are rendered, especially for upscalling HD->FHD, and I plan to upscale hd,fhd -> 4k using it. Until now, it has done a great job for what I am using it. Also, I am addicted to how great anime looks after using edge thinning and edge sharpening one over other to take out blurry edges, and define everything better. 

What am I missing?

I do write software for music playback and high resolution resampling by advanced interpolation of samples. I am just learning of GPUs and what I can do with one. 

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #8,786 of 9,120
No more personal attacks please. Argue the topic, not the person.

Feb 11, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #8,787 of 9,120
So... magic fix times!

Had some issues with the spacebar on my keyboard (CMStorm Quickfire Stealth with MX Browns), we thought it was a fiber that had snuck into the switch when it was in my backpack... After I had secured a set of new MX Browns (in case it was messed up contacts), a soldering iron and de-soldering pen, I went about taking apart my keyboard. Here is what I found:

If you look carefully where the stem for the spacebar is, you can see that part of the PCB has broken off and the contact for the switch itself is partially disconnected from the trace. I don't know when it broke (as this is the first time the keyboard has ever been taken apart), but clearly this was the cause of the issues I had. After soldering I now have a fixed keyboard and extra switches! Yay?

I had no reason to write this, I'm just bored and don't want to do homework.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #8,788 of 9,120
So I recently decided to go with just a laptop (or is it an ultrabook) in the Dell XPS 13 and space is limited. it came with 128GB however I can later upgrade it to 512GB but I want to wait until my 30 day warranty is up just to be safe everything is fine. 

I had a bunch of music on my desktop but obviously I don't have enough space now. Would the best way to buy a portable drive (2 or 3tb wd passport ultra) and have a backup somewhere else and use that as music only? I'm not sure how reliable portable drives are.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #8,789 of 9,120
  So I recently decided to go with just a laptop (or is it an ultrabook) in the Dell XPS 13 and space is limited. it came with 128GB however I can later upgrade it to 512GB but I want to wait until my 30 day warranty is up just to be safe everything is fine. 

I had a bunch of music on my desktop but obviously I don't have enough space now. Would the best way to buy a portable drive (2 or 3tb wd passport ultra) and have a backup somewhere else and use that as music only? I'm not sure how reliable portable drives are.

The drives that you will get with the external drives are typically a lower binned set. So generally they are not has high quality and not as reliable as the desktop drives. If you plan on storing your life on them, I would not recommend using a pre-built external drive, purchase a normal desktop or laptop drive and a enclosure for it and you will probably end up with a better drive than the ones in the externals. If you are just planning on putting data that you don't care much for, go for the cheaper ones, after all it is data that won't kill you if it is lost.

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #8,790 of 9,120
The drives that you will get with the external drives are typically a lower binned set. So generally they are not has high quality and not as reliable as the desktop drives. If you plan on storing your life on them, I would not recommend using a pre-built external drive, purchase a normal desktop or laptop drive and a enclosure for it and you will probably end up with a better drive than the ones in the externals. If you are just planning on putting data that you don't care much for, go for the cheaper ones, after all it is data that won't kill you if it is lost.
Interesting notion which I didn't realise (the binning)...

Guess I should stop putting as much faith as I do in my two drives (one, an old WD Mybook has about 25k hours on the clock, so is probably nudging close to its MTBF anyway, albeit it still passes SMART with flying colours)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back