PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jan 2, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #3,901 of 9,120
  It is of course NTFS

I'm not sure if a file system was in place on the drives they performed the tests on? Some just do the bare drives with nothing on it by running programs through the CD Drive on bootup :/

Try much larger file sizes, and maybe a different benchmark.

The write speeds look about right, it's just the reads that are slightly disappointing.

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #3,902 of 9,120
The real test would be to take this same drive and put it into your computer with the Seagate drive, but I bet thats not possible. What motherboard/chipset are we dealing with here? There are motherboard drivers, SSD firmware, are we connected to one of the 2 "primary" SATA ports, is the OCZ defective in anyway we don't know about, etc. etc. This is one of those things in a PC that could have any number of causes
frown.gif

Plus, maybe it really only can do 224MB/s reads in this particular PC for all we know..... it's madness!

My home uses an AMD 970 Chipset (forgot mobo model, but its a Gigabyte, I just bought it and posted the model here before). I forgot which one my brother's uses.

The OCZ was upgraded to firmware version 2.0. This is a few udpates past the 1.0 it shipped with. I got about a 20-40MB/s increase from the fw update. I ran a bench before and after it

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #3,903 of 9,120

Try much larger file sizes, and maybe a different benchmark.

The write speeds look about right, it's just the reads that are slightly disappointing.

I've used HD Tune and ATTO on that computer. Both gave me the same read speed.

I'll be using larger file sizes later to see what's up.

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #3,906 of 9,120
I'm looking at building a super small factor mobile gaming desktop that I can transport.

I have compltely forgot about small factor form motherboards and embedded systems

Micro ATX and mini-itx are the only small form sizes I remember. Are there any more that I forgot?

I also remember that AMD had CPU's pre-embedded into motherboards. What were those called again?

Thanks guys

What cases do you recommend? Box type or slim factor ones? I obviously want to throw in a GPU.

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #3,907 of 9,120
  I'm looking at building a super small factor mobile gaming desktop that I can transport.

I have compltely forgot about small factor form motherboards and embedded systems

Micro ATX and mini-itx are the only small form sizes I remember. Are there any more that I forgot?

I also remember that AMD had CPU's pre-embedded into motherboards. What were those called again?

Thanks guys

What cases do you recommend? Box type or slim factor ones? I obviously want to throw in a GPU.

The embedded CPUs will become an enormous bottleneck as far as gaming goes (Atoms or the E-series APUs).

mATX and mITX are the most common. Can't think of any other living form factors for SFF right now.

E-series APUs.

Box type if you have space. Slim if you need a smaller footprint.

FT03 and FT03 Mini are great cases. TJ08-E, PS07, CaseLabs S3 I think it was (the Mercury), etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007583%20%2050002031%20%2050072745%20%20600006307%20%20600006305%20%20600006306%20%20600006308%20%20600485794%20%20600006320%20%20600006318%2050001375%2050014581%2050001516%2050001333%2050001459%2050001402&IsNodeId=1

Look through that. Hopefully the filters are still applied. I don't know why Antec is in there. SilverStone, Lian-Li, Bitfenix, Case Labs, CM, Fractal, Corsair, NZXT (maybe), EVGA's new ITX case looks interesting.

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #3,908 of 9,120
I just did my own research

Yep, embedded is a huge bottleneck. Won't be doing that

Intel mini-itx seems the way to go.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186216 (Intel mini itx mobo with pcie x16 support) $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116773 (i3 CPU)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119286 (Coolermaster 130 elite box case)
A $30 PSU when it goes on sale again (I got an XFX (seasonic rebrand one) for $20 this time around for my bro).

I got these THROUGH VERY fast newegg searches, let me know if I'm missing something.

yes yes. I know i'm missing the RAM, and GPU, and SSD/HDD

This is a portable rig I'll bring to competitions or when I go back home. This means that I'll just be chucking RAM from my current desktop into it. And by throwing my spare HD7870 GHZ into it. 

I may look into a SSD maybe.

I'm still debating it though. But this seems nice :)

-------------
****, for the one time in my life, the 7870 reference may be too big or use too much power -___-

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #3,909 of 9,120
I just did my own research

Yep, embedded is a huge bottleneck. Won't be doing that

Intel mini-itx seems the way to go.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186216 (Intel mini itx mobo with pcie x16 support) $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116773 (i3 CPU)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119286 (Coolermaster 130 elite box case)
A $30 PSU when it goes on sale again (I got an XFX (seasonic rebrand one) for $20 this time around for my bro).

I got these THROUGH VERY fast newegg searches, let me know if I'm missing something.

yes yes. I know i'm missing the RAM, and GPU, and SSD/HDD

This is a portable rig I'll bring to competitions or when I go back home. This means that I'll just be chucking RAM from my current desktop into it. And by throwing my spare HD7870 GHZ into it. 

I may look into a SSD maybe.

I'm still debating it though. But this seems nice :)

-------------
****, for the one time in my life, the 7870 reference may be too big or use too much power -___-
Not sure about the FoxConn board though, seems... odd... You know that's the same FoxConn as Apple's? Yeah, I'm not sure if the mobo's reliable or not, I don't know, but I'm sure you did your research.

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #3,911 of 9,120
Not sure about the FoxConn board though, seems... odd... You know that's the same FoxConn as Apple's? Yeah, I'm not sure if the mobo's reliable or not, I don't know, but I'm sure you did your research.

Foxconn's Apple?

You mean the company that was in the news a few years back that was related to Apple?

Yeah. I also know that they are one of the largest motherboard manufactuer's in the world that make components and hardware for a vast variety of brands. With Apple being an important, but not the largest buyer.

I also know that mobo makers these day are cross-reliant with most using components from each other. 

It's all sensationalism, media that is. And everything we know about them from an enthusiast standpoint, is just marketing. All those Dell's and HP's in the repair shop with bad mobo's?? Yeah, well many of those boards were Asus boards. 

It's all sensationalism and marketing. That's really what the world is these days. 

And no, I didn't research any of the boards. Most boards, in this price range, and form factor and niche targeting don't have any sort of reliable feedback online. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #3,913 of 9,120
Bowei, mITX might be problematic depending on which board you choose and which heatsink you use. There are a lot of boards that have the CPU socket too close to the PCIe lane. It seems only Asus and AsRock have boards that have it far enough. Gigabyte unfortunately has it too close. Also, just get Haswell i3, since it's basically the same price.

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #3,914 of 9,120
Bowei, mITX might be problematic depending on which board you choose and which heatsink you use. There are a lot of boards that have the CPU socket too close to the PCIe lane. It seems only Asus and AsRock have boards that have it far enough. Gigabyte unfortunately has it too close. Also, just get Haswell i3, since it's basically the same price.
FUUUUUU. First, I'm wondering if the P12 will be gone for the Hyper212, now, to see if the 212 actually blocks the PCIe slot. I want to point the 212 wider side out. (Normal config)

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #3,915 of 9,120

Ah right, forgot about heatsink compatability. Many thanks.

Yeah, of course I'll get the CPU with the latest if its the same price. I just happened to grab the link of the first i3 CPU that popped up on newegg.

I won't need a mobility platform like this yet for a while so its going to be on hold.

I'm thinking of using an old laptop's LCD with a LCD controller board. Debezel the screen and attack it to the case, and stick the controller board inside the case so its internally connected. But meh, thats another day and year.

So far, since this is a mobility platform for me, it is really cheap.

The RAM, GPU, and HDD will just be taken out of my main system for when I go on extended home vacation. I could obviously take my PSU as well but hell no am I cable binding that schiit all over again. It's fairly simple to find 500W Seasonic Rebrand PSU's for $20-$25 during deal times anyway. Hell, I might not even need 500W but F it. Even if its a Seasonic Rebrand, a lower PSU may not have enough amps on the 12v rails for the 7870 GHz I'm sticking in and possibly overclocking. But then, the PSU may be too big, ehh.. I'll deal with that when the time comes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back