PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jan 2, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #3,893 of 9,120
Hehe, sarcasm. We pay for 25Mbs, and we usually get 30Mbs average.

We pay for 20MBs, and the HTPC only gets 1MBs peak for less than 5 seconds. On LAN. My 54MBs modem gets less than that. Strange how my mobile gets consistent 1Mb.

Anyway, anyone try Crytek's new WarFace? https://gface.com/ It's made by CryTek, which makes the name kinda weird. They should call it War Cry (Far Cry?) or CryFace (F'in hilarious
wink.gif
).

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #3,894 of 9,120
   We pay for 20MBs, and the HTPC only gets 1MBs peak for less than 5 seconds. On LAN. My 54MBs modem gets less than that. Strange how my mobile gets consistent 1Mb.

Anyway, anyone try Crytek's new WarFace? https://gface.com/ It's made by CryTek, which makes the name kinda weird. They should call it War Cry (Far Cry?) or CryFace (F'in hilarious :wink: ).
Do you pay for 20MBs or 20Mbs?

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #3,895 of 9,120
Just used ATTO bench on my brothers computer I built for him. It gave me the same numbers HD Tune did, although this time it also gave me 'write' this time.

from 4k to 8k using sizes of 256MB. The 1TB WD HDD performs at around 177MB/s Read and 185MB/s Write
from 4k to 8k using sizes of 256MB. The 128GB OCZ VERTEX 450 128GB performs at around 224MB/s read and 240MB/s Write.

Both are attached to SATA 3.0 ports with AHCI enabled with a fresh OS install.

This was my brothers computer of course.

The 1TB HDD is very new and has barely been used and is freshly formated. It has little to no files on it. That is a slight reason probably.

I'm not sure how or why the benchmarks for the Vertex 450 are so high online. I'm running tests using similar tests as they are. Most aren't telling me the file sizes they are using so that may be it. Maybe they are using larger file sizes or even smaller ones. Who knows.

Considering how much the SSD regularly is(I got it for $50, so I don't really care), I would have liked a much faster read and write. But of course, unlike the HDD. The SSD will most likely perform at the same speed I'm getting years later (until it reaches its number of reads and writes of course). 

My Seagate 240GB SSD(got if for $110) back home got 480MB/s read. I'll test it with ATTO when I get back home.

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #3,896 of 9,120
  I'm not sure how or why the benchmarks for the Vertex 450 are so high online. I'm running tests using similar tests as they are. Most aren't telling me the file sizes they are using so that may be it. Maybe they are using larger file sizes or even smaller ones. Who knows.

You might be looking at benches for a 256GB model which would be significantly faster than your 128GB one.

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #3,898 of 9,120
It does seem odd you are getting speed about 1/2 what you would expect to see from the reads. I guess the final piece of the puzzle is what file system is it formatted to? I would assume NTFS or exFAT, I don't even think FAT32 would result in speeds like that though.

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #3,899 of 9,120
It does seem odd you are getting speed about 1/2 what you would expect to see from the reads. I guess the final piece of the puzzle is what file system is it formatted to? I would assume NTFS or exFAT, I don't even think FAT32 would result in speeds like that though.

It is of course NTFS

I'm not sure if a file system was in place on the drives they performed the tests on? Some just do the bare drives with nothing on it by running programs through the CD Drive on bootup :/

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #3,900 of 9,120
The real test would be to take this same drive and put it into your computer with the Seagate drive, but I bet thats not possible. What motherboard/chipset are we dealing with here? There are motherboard drivers, SSD firmware, are we connected to one of the 2 "primary" SATA ports, is the OCZ defective in anyway we don't know about, etc. etc. This is one of those things in a PC that could have any number of causes :frowning2:

Plus, maybe it really only can do 224MB/s reads in this particular PC for all we know..... it's madness!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back