PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jun 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #2,058 of 9,120
Quote:
FACEPALMING SO HARD

bUILT MY cousin a computer.

She keeps having problems playing games.

So I Team View and video and voice chat with her.

AND GUESS what she is doing?

Plugging her video cable into the mobo and not the GPU. 

RAGGEEEEE.

This is why I've stopped building computers for friends and family who don't have a little computer know how.  Being tech support was annoying.  

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #2,059 of 9,120
I won't build family and friends PCs. I will recommend things, but I won't do it for them. Learn fast or GTFO.

^^this X100000000

That's basically what I told my youngest brother. He spends twice as much time with computers but knows less than half what I do. He's better now that he was forced to learn or GTFO.

Jun 20, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #2,060 of 9,120
Quote:
Yeah this problem happens often to me -_-

You should buy a cap to screw onto the mobo vga lol.

I hope the Xbox One wins, it has a far more similar programming platform to the PC vs the PS4.  Console ports coming from the Xbox One will look and perform better in general.

Due to the Xbox One's DRM nature, I'm sure microsoft can make frequent promotional offers similar to Steam/Similar Platforms.

I wonder how long consoles will have the gaming lead..  I really hate gaming without my PC, but I won't pay top dollar when consoles have the graphical edge.

I'll probably make a m-ITX and wait it out, to the Winchester!

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #2,061 of 9,120
Consoles NEVER have the graphical edge compared to a top-of-the-line PC on release. Outdated hardware and lower price tags and all that will ensure that.

Well, maybe the 1980s were a different story, but back then, PC gaming was laughable compared to C64 or Amiga gaming due to the lacking graphics and especially sound capabilities, which didn't really reverse 'til 1990.

In other news...I gotta quit browsing eBay. Saw a GTX 480 for $108.25 shipped, thought "Forget the GTX 280s that I don't even know if they work or not, this'll be my stopgap solution until next year!", and pulled the trigger. The other card I was watching-a GTX 580 for $175-doesn't perform better enough to justify the price difference here.

That aging 8800 GT needed a break anyway, and anything significantly more powerful than a GTX 480 is going to be bottlenecked by a Q6600 even at 3.6 GHz. (Let alone titles like PlanetSide 2 that are CPU-bottlenecked with the 8800 GT already, according to the in-game FPS counter...)

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #2,066 of 9,120
Recently stole obtained my brother's monitor. Same size as mine, so same resolution, but it has much nicer colors, and also supports 75hz at higher than 1280 x 1024. Decided to dink around on Skyrim to put it through it's paces. Looks really, really nice, especially at 2160 x 1350. Here's some screens from that resolution (though, downsampled).

When playing at 1440 x 900, the framerate can shoot up to 75FPS in interiors, and it kind of blows my mind. Couldn't really tell a difference between it and 60FPS at first, but I'm starting to notice now.

Jun 21, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #2,067 of 9,120
Quote:
When playing at 1440 x 900, the framerate can shoot up to 75FPS in interiors, and it kind of blows my mind. Couldn't really tell a difference between it and 60FPS at first, but I'm starting to notice now.

yep I just figured out that my monitor is a 75Hz too, after upgrading videocards and playing with vsync off at 70-90 fps it has felt a lot smoother.  Funny thing is that it's a cheap gateway monitor:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gateway-FHD2303L-BID-23-Widescreen-LED-Monitor-Refurbished-/290934257241?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item43bd087659

Jun 21, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #2,068 of 9,120
Quote:
yep I just figured out that my monitor is a 75Hz too, after upgrading videocards and playing with vsync off at 70-90 fps it has felt a lot smoother.  Funny thing is that it's a cheap gateway monitor:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gateway-FHD2303L-BID-23-Widescreen-LED-Monitor-Refurbished-/290934257241?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item43bd087659

Heh, mine's a Gateway too. Found out 75Hz is even supported at my downsample resolution. No way Skyrim will be hitting it at that resolution, but some of my less demanding games should.

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #2,069 of 9,120
So I just installed my old copy of Star Wars Battlefront II and logged into my ancient multiplayer account and to my surprise their were actually people online and playing an eight year old game. I was also extremely excited to find that could still download and install my favorite mods that I used to play. Anyone else still have this game and willing to play on some mod maps with me? I hosted a server running mod maps but after an hour I was still all alone. I guess not many people still have mods installed for the game.

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #2,070 of 9,120
Quote:
So I just installed my old copy of Star Wars Battlefront II and logged into my ancient multiplayer account and to my surprise their were actually people online and playing an eight year old game. I was also extremely excited to find that could still download and install my favorite mods that I used to play. Anyone else still have this game and willing to play on some mod maps with me? I hosted a server running mod maps but after an hour I was still all alone. I guess not many people still have mods installed for the game.

Isn't BF III (only way to shortcut type it now) comming out soon? News of it comming out probably caused other people to get the feels as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back