Par-metal group buy: MMM case
Mar 4, 2005 at 8:40 AM Post #61 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by randytsuch
Not trying to cause trouble, but I was wondering why not go with 2.75" high. From the price list, that is a standard size, so I would think it would be a little cheaper.

The "price list" section of their web site is out of date and the sizes listed are not correct. Use the sizes listed under the "Product Information" -> "20 Series" section for their standard offerings. Standard heights are 2", 3", 4", 5", 6" and 8".

Mar 4, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #62 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
the 20 series front panel is .12" thick. is this not ok? this could be costly, and it would be easier just to leave it at that thickness

Yeah, I could live with .12, just thought the thicker one looks cool
icon10.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #63 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
The "price list" section of their web site is out of date and the sizes listed are not correct. Use the sizes listed under the "Product Information" -> "20 Series" section for their standard offerings. Standard heights are 2", 3", 4", 5", 6" and 8".

Thanks for the info. I wondered if I was missing something.

Randy

Mar 4, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #64 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPete
Yeah, I could live with .12, just thought the thicker one looks cool
icon10.gif

..Harder to work with... You can't really see thickness so how can it look "cool" ?
biggrin.gif
maybe it cools better?!?

Mar 4, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #65 of 184
If you really want to spruce up the front panel, have a custom panel made by Front Panel Express. Just download their special CAD software, draw what you want and send it in. They can do some pretty fancy stuff, like etched lettering and milled areas, etc.

Mar 5, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #67 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
someone mentioned conductivity; do we want an anodizing that is conductive, or not? i don't fully understand the reasons behind this - would someone explain?

Ideally, the whole case should serve as a shield against external interference. This means all panels should be electrically connected to each other. Anodizing puts a non-conductive "coating" over the surface of the panels, so that when the case is joined together with screws, the panels may or may not be electrically connected. The solution is just to
sand off a little of the anodizing finish at the attachment points and screw holes.

Quote:

2.5" for both A and B has been suggested (PLEASE let me know if you have a better option for height; this just seems to be the most popular choice). 3"H has also been suggested because then we would have the option of installing taller heatsinks (amb and morsel: would you mind commenting on this? to my mind: cooler is better
smily_headphones1.gif
)

The 1.5" tall heat sinks should work well in the Par Metal case with vent slits. The 2" heat sink is only necessary if you want to crank up the bias well beyond the standard 80mA.

Quote:

we need more interest in option A for us to consider doing it. i would have to have at least 10 cases wanted at the minimum, more in fact, because folks have a tendancy to drop out

Alright, put me down for one of the option A case.

Quote:

since response isn't overwheliming...

I think there are a number of people watching this thread passively waiting for decisions to get made, and then would jump in at the last minute on the buy. So, if this sounds like you, post now about your interest and the preference so that uzziah could have a more accurate count.

Mar 5, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #68 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
I think there are a number of people watching this thread passively waiting for decisions to get made, and then would jump in at the last minute on the buy.

Bingo.

My preference would be three option B cases, 12x8x2", black cover with vents on both sides. No strong preference on the front panel, because I'm likely to replace it with an FPE one anyway; clear anodized if I had to pick, but black anodized would be fine, too.

Mar 5, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #69 of 184
mine would be vents on sides none on top.

I think I'll need 6x8x2. Depending on price, I may get also 12x8x2.

2.5H is ok, although I would prefer a sexier 2H.

Mar 5, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #70 of 184
By the way, in case people are not aware, uzziah has been updating the first post of this thread with current information, so if you're scratching your head about what options A or B are, etc., look there.

Mar 5, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #72 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
Ideally, the whole case should serve as a shield against external interference. This means all panels should be electrically connected to each other. Anodizing puts a non-conductive "coating" over the surface of the panels, so that when the case is joined together with screws, the panels may or may not be electrically connected. The solution is just to
sand off a little of the anodizing finish at the attachment points and screw holes.

The 1.5" tall heat sinks should work well in the Par Metal case with vent slits. The 2" heat sink is only necessary if you want to crank up the bias well beyond the standard 80mA.

Alright, put me down for one of the option A case.

I think there are a number of people watching this thread passively waiting for decisions to get made, and then would jump in at the last minute on the buy. So, if this sounds like you, post now about your interest and the preference so that uzziah could have a more accurate count.

good point. option A and B then

should we consider a non-andoized finish then? it's probably no big deal to sand off a litte though, considering this is diy
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #73 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by individual6891
..Harder to work with... You can't really see thickness so how can it look "cool" ?
biggrin.gif
maybe it cools better?!?

After seeing AMB's front panel, that did it for me
icon10.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #75 of 184
thanks everyone for making clear how much interest there is

it seems we'll easily have enough cases requested for option A and B. that's nice to know

we constantly have these issues to resolve:

1. color: black and clear anondine seem to be favorites
2. slits on top?
3. height: 2"H, 2.5H and 3H are most popular. if we have 2H x 12w x 8d for option B; that is standard specs, so could be cheaper

please speak your mind if you have a definite preference. i don't want to pull the trigger on specifications with only a few different opinions. for color, height and slits we really are at a quandry. hopefully we can clear it up soon. i'm all for getting these ordered promptly

and thanks AMB for mentioning about the first post being constantly updated

another issue to consider that i just realized:
if we have slits on top and go with the 2" version, we may want/need to use that mounting kit AMB described on his site to avoid a short circuit if the heatsinks touch the case. if we used said kit, would it involve covering up some of those slits with a plastic sheet of some kind?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back