Par-metal group buy: MMM case
Mar 2, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #31 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy
12x8 should work, but a width of 16" makes it fit in well with CD players and other components. It's just a matter of looks though (although it probably doesn't hurt to have the PSU farther away from the amp).

i doubt that we will want to go for a much larger case than is necessary. it would match cd players and recievers better, but i think many of us have dacs and computer sources, and thus it's not viable (unless of course you and whoever else wants this style would order 10 cases)

Mar 2, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #32 of 184
I'd recommend a case large enough for a suitable PSU board too .. I mean that's what the amp is designed to be used with.

I would be interested in 2 cases, if you will ship to the UK.

Mar 2, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #33 of 184
i'd like one case.

i'd like one with room for a PSU (STEPS), so i cast my vote for the 12W x 8D.

acceptable hieght range: 2.25" - 3" (i don't wanna do any more hacks than necessary)

if they do a crappy job on paint, then we can just stick with the "-N clear alodine" option for just a plain box.

also, much thanks to uzziah for taking this on =)

on preview: okay, i'd be okay getting a smaller case then. i can put the STEPS in another case; it's not a big deal to me i guess.

Mar 2, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #34 of 184
The amp is designed to be put in a small case with a separate external power supply. Putting the power supply in the amp case is an inferior option because of the difficulty in completely shielding the amp circuit from the power supply.

Mar 2, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #35 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by morsel
The amp is designed to be put in a small case with a separate external power supply. Putting the power supply in the amp case is an inferior option because of the difficulty in completely shielding the amp circuit from the power supply.

completely agreed. it would make things easier as well to have only one design.

Mar 3, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #36 of 184
In light of morsels post, it looks like one large order for the best M³ fit custom case would probably be the best option.

Have the best M³ PSU-less dimensions been set yet?

Mar 3, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #37 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by x_fiddle
Have the best M³ PSU-less dimensions been set yet?

Since the board is 5"x7", I would guess cases should be around 6"x8" if the desire is for something small.

Mar 3, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #38 of 184
After I posted that, I realized that the largest Hammond 1455 series is also 6"x8"x2", so it would also work if you did something to accomodate the heat sinks. Mouser sells them for $30, but they are not stocked.

Mar 3, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #40 of 184
I would be interested in 1 case, 12 x 8, with the center divider. Or, if the option is for the smaller case, I'd also be interested in a PSU enclosure.

Mar 3, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #41 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy
Since the board is 5"x7", I would guess cases should be around 6"x8" if the desire is for something small.

that's the idea. we just need to answer the question of height

2.5"H and 3"H has been suggested.

my idea would be:

6w x 8d x 2.5h - anodized with countersunk screws - slits on the bottom, side, and on the top directly over the heatsinks.

idea of having no slits on the lid makes me nervous, especially since i can't monitor the temperature as i can with my cpu for example. yes, some dust wil get in, but i think it's worth it, especially if we can make the slits sit nearly right on top of the heatsinks - this begs the question - how far from each side do the heatsinks sit? (or could we simply do slits in the middle? would be eaiser)

for the hammond case idea - make certain you check the INSIDE demensions of the height, because the par-metal 20 series (2"H) case would just barely clear the heatsinks. the hammond might be tighter. not to mention, you'd need to drill some holes in the lid for heat.

cost looks like about $30, but i hope to get a more definite answer by tommorrow.

Mar 3, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #42 of 184
I'm not sure if the slits are the same on all 20 series cases, but on mine they start one inch in from the edge, are one inch wide, a half inch of metal and then another inch long slit (two rows of slits on each side of the top). If the narrower cases only have one row of slits on each side of the top, starting one inch in from the edge, that might work pretty well for placing one set above the heatsinks.

Mar 3, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #43 of 184
Quote:

the difficulty in completely shielding the amp circuit from the power supply.

Um, if this was a problem, don't you think the STEPS would interfere with itself? Why, if this is the case, do I see such small amounts of ripple in testing?

Mar 3, 2005 at 8:14 AM Post #44 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
Um, if this was a problem, don't you think the STEPS would interfere with itself? Why, if this is the case, do I see such small amounts of ripple in testing?

well i suppose we have a difference of opinion from two of the most knowledgable folks around. perhaps i'll just put the case including-psu back in the running.

Mar 3, 2005 at 9:04 AM Post #45 of 184
yeah id defn preffer case and psu in one. i preffer it for the fact that it keeps everything cleaner. i preffer not to have two cases and an umbillical between them.

plus then if we use a standardish size it may work out cheaper
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back