Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Sep 3, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #1,231 of 1,284
Hmm thanks alot. Ive already eq'ed all my gear to harman. What gear do i need except pc and headphones/IEM? I dont have a speaker system at all.. Ive got a BT speaker i use when im on mountaintrips in the tent. Thats it! Haha.. Ive signed out for the download 2 times at OOYH, but havent got the confirmation mail yet. So i dont know the full price for it. What is the full price? Is HeSuVi kinda the same but free?without the speaker presets?

I really like the few binaural recordings ive got, but they are so incredible hard to find! As Digital(only know about nativedsd.com,but quite expensive) i only know about a few. I really would like to hear f.ex GY!BE, Gogo Penguin and Nils Frahm and rest of erased records binaurally. My kind of music. Since they havent released any binaurally as i know of i have to try to simulate it.

If i had enough cash i would have bought myself a realizer a16 or something. But thats not possible for me. So u i have to make it work the budget way:)

You don't need a speaker system, just a PC and headphone system.

There is an option to purchase all the presets at a discount bulk rate, but most people just buy the individual presets that work for them.

The email with the download link usually comes right away. If you've checked your spam folder and it still hasn't arrived, you should contact Darin in "contact us."

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #1,235 of 1,284
Nov 1, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #1,236 of 1,284
I am afraid that OOYH is currently un-usable as it doesn't work with windows 10 2004
The developer should put some warning in his web site about that , when asked they said they are working on a fix
But Release 2004 landed in MAY 28 (more than 5 months ago) and still no fix for this ? come on.

Jan 17, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #1,237 of 1,284
Hello...new member here, but a big fan of OOYH, and also someone very appreciative of all the discussions that have happened here in the past...I've certainly read, learned, and borrowed a lot, so thanks to all. I decided to finally join in the discussion because I believe I've found a somewhat reasonable "workaround" for the Windows 10 2004 issue.

I kind of happened upon the answer indirectly thru some random google searches of 2004 audio issues (which seem to be by no means limited to OOYH) a few months ago. I had seen several discussions about Razer Surround Pro that seemed to involve a similar sounding problem...and an odd little "fix" a user had noted when BlueStacks was also installed and running at the same time. Well, I am not a BlueStacks user and was definitely not overly eager to install...particularly to take up pretty substantial hard drive space / cpu resources etc, but after my OOYH computer (that I'd intentionally rolled back and kept at the version prior to 2004) recently stopped working, I decided to give BlueStacks a try and sure enough it worked.

But then I also tried searching around just a little more, and I found what I think is a much better option...and for me at least so far, seems to be a pretty workable solution all things considered: Oracle's Virtual Box. Similar to BlueStacks, when started prior to OOYH and running in the background, OOYH seems to sound just as it should...none of the new "crackling" that happened with 2004 appears to occur...and the Virtual Box can importantly be setup to have pretty minimal impact on the CPU.

Now, I admittedly have no idea how/why it works, but I can follow the well written instructions of others, so I will simply link to the "how to" guide I discovered: https://www.reddit.com/r/razer/comments/khziai/razer_surround_pro_crackling_workaround_on/. Hope others will also find this to be useful.

Jan 21, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #1,238 of 1,284
Well , i received a feedback from Darin fong the developper of out of your head stating this fix , i tried it on my pc and it works.
The virtual machine may not be the best solution but at least it is a doable workaround until a proper fix is implemented.

Feb 19, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #1,240 of 1,284
Yeah, just a PSA for anyone who already doesn't know.

If you want to keep using OOYH and haven't upgraded to Win10 2004, defeat your auto updates for Windows.
Is it possible to roll back to an earlier version of Windows. If that can be done, it would be very useful to publish that in this forum.

Feb 22, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #1,241 of 1,284
Just bought a new Intel NUC and installed OOYH. Cracking noise galore. Pity. I had been using this software on my old laptop with 2015 windows 10 (updates disables on WIN10) with great pleasure. Hopefully Darin gets his software amended so it will be able to be used on the Win10 version I have now and then I will re-purchase my favourite presets.

Mar 16, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #1,242 of 1,284
WOW, this surround software is very different from the classic ones (Dolby, DTS, CMSS etc), its actually very different. I don't know if I like it tho (because is so different, I've never heard something like this before), I need to test some more. I'm using HeSuVi by the way, so no need to mess with that crappy oficial software. I just need to select OOYH and bum :) It does look like the sound is out of my head lmao

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #1,243 of 1,284
Yeah this is fun. It's not necessary better than conventional surround softwares, but it's very fun. I strongly recommend to give it a try. The good thing about HeSuVi is that the surrounds "profiles" works deep in Windows, so it affects every sound output, meaning that even videos on YouTube will be affected, any surround option that you choose will affect the whole system, while conventional softwares is limited on what it can actually function. HeSuVi bypasses anything, bypasses the stereo barrier that browsers and YouTube videos have (videos are compressed to stereo), any sound that's coming out of your system, will be affected by the surround "profile" (HRIR) that you choose inside HeSuVi. The system actually thinks that you have a full surround setup. Amazing.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #1,244 of 1,284
To be fair you can do the same thing with Out Of Your Head. Since Out Of Your Head is seen by the system as an audio interface, you just have to configure apps (including browsers, etc.) to output to Out Of Your Head instead of the usual audio interface. Or just define Out Of Your Head as the default audio interface. That can be done pretty easily.

I'm a HeSuVi user too, and I'm happy with it. I find the OOYH_0 preset (the Genelec-based one) quite convincing. With that said, I wonder if there are presets that I would enjoy even more from the Out Of Your Head app, or if I'd better create a custom HRIR from my own head spatial measurements (which may be a difficult task, I don't know).

To me the real problem of Out Of Your Head is pricing. Given the fact that HeSuVi is free, I'm clearly not willing to pay 150 bucks + 25 bucks per additional preset just for a couple of additional HRIRs with marginal benefits. I think Darin Fong should seriously revise his business model. I understand that it was probably expensive to create all those HRIRs in various places around the world, but right now the pricing doesn't reflect the software's merits for the final user.
  1. First of all, Out Of Your Head should include all presets. Having people pay more just for additional HRIRs is a bit petty IMO.
  2. And second, the whole package shouldn't cost more than 50 bucks. And that's already expensive given the fact that that great free solutions like HeSuVi exist.
  3. Not to mention that Out Of Your Head isn't even fully compatible with Windows 10 yet. That's a real shame for a software that costs so much !
Don't get me wrong : I love Out Of Your Head, and I think Darin Fong has a lot of merit in capturing all those great HRIRs. I just think the pricing is wrong, and updates could clearly be more efficient.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #1,245 of 1,284
I'm a big fan of OOYH too, but the first thing that needs to get fixed isn't the business model, its the software issue with windows 10. The work around didnt work for me, and its pretty darn annoying that there has been little to no communication, and no fix. I'm seeing this as money down the drain at this point, as I'm not convinced anything is actively being done.

Sorry to be grumpy about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back