Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 3, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #6,631 of 27,169
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to say that is quite a stash. I am as excited about the cables as the headphones though ( yes I am a sad SOB ) ..dB

Yeah, but this guy has been at it since 1970 or so. And when he said "bantam" he really meant the now-obscure 4.4mm switchcraft bantam connector, and may be older than me.

Jan 3, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #6,632 of 27,169
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rachmaninov 2 is played everywhere by everyone, but it still gets me nearly every time with nearly every headphone I have.

In radio we used to call that one "Rocky II".

Quote:

I am as excited about the cables as the headphones though ( yes I am a sad SOB ) ..dB

There's actually some interesting stuff in there. Patch bay cables, lots of old mic cables with Cannon XLRs...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got all these orthos, but I am still ECR500less boooohooo I know it's a wrong thread, I do, but I really want them.

Hey, really, how much space would they give you on their hoity-toity Meester Schmardty Pents Hi-Price Electroshtedts Thread, eh? Let's face it, they laugh at ECR-500s over there. You stay right here, where it's safe and cheap. Relatively.

The T30 driver is a biggie, same size as the T50's, ~60mm. Maybe 65mm, I don't remember. Big. And dark, so there's some tuning wiggle room. The first guy to come up with a comfort fix for the T30's ridiculous Why'd They Even Bother To Make Them Swivel earcups will be declared T30 Savior. Or exorcist. Begorrah, it's the ghost of Diana Ross makin' yer ears hurt.

Here's that cleaned-up photo:
EricJsbunchaT30sfor30-E.jpg

Jan 3, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #6,633 of 27,169
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There's actually some interesting stuff in there. Patch bay cables, lots of old mic cables with Cannon XLRs...

I pulled good, to me, cables for Eric. The rest is in the garbage
ph34r.gif
T30 are not bad, but I am not sure I like them more than new T50, need to listen more. How do you mod them anyhow? How do you get them open?

Jan 3, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #6,634 of 27,169
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta

Completely off-topic (I seem to do that a lot in this thread...) but do you have a favorite recording/performer?

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #6,636 of 27,169
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pads aren't super quality, just a lot better at sealing than the previous ones. They should look like this.
dsc7696va8.jpg

Did you cut the front of the black felt off your T50 or did it come like this?

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #6,637 of 27,169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D
My chair is still dirty.

Plus it's glowing in what looks to be the near-ultraviolet... some chair!

Smeggy tore off the thin nonwoven covering of his T50RPv2s. Not sure why, but it's neat to be able to see the driver. It's not like any other ortho/iso.

Oh-- the T30 plug that's visible looks like it could use some Simichrome.

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #6,638 of 27,169
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plus it's glowing in what looks to be the near-ultraviolet... some chair!

Smeggy tore off the thin nonwoven covering of his T50RPv2s. Not sure why, but it's neat to be able to see the driver. It's not like any other ortho/iso.

Oh-- the T30 plug that's visible looks like it could use some Simichrome.

Simiwha? Ah, I found it on Amazon. Hmm,I need to buy some cleaning product for RCA jacks and all these plugs I have around. What is a good cheap product to restore all this stuff, oh while you are at it, tell me where to get ECR500
very_evil_smiley.gif

By the way this sounds very nice on T30
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #6,639 of 27,169
well why you lads have been getting all excited about new headphones ( or fanatsizing about ecr 500s ) I have been assembling the ultimate driver of ortho's and I am speechless ( not typless obviously ) but I am sitting here listening to the YH2 with new found respect. errrm yes, YH2 was being used as the sacrificial test phone. ( not quite sacrificial but you know what I mean ) Now I gotta make it look pretty so's I can show y'all. The next SoCal meet is going to have a real kicker in their midst
beerchug.gif
..dB

Jan 3, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #6,640 of 27,169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
T30 are not bad, but I am not sure I like them more than new T50, need to listen more. How do you mod them anyhow? How do you get them open? Simiwha? Ah, I found in on Amazon. Hmm,I need to buy some cleaning product for RCA jacks and all these plugs I have around.

There are two tiny pivot screws above and below the earcups. Take 'em out and you've got 'em open.

The stock T50RPv2 is much better than the stock T30. For modding the T30, check on scompton's mod.

Simichrome's pricey. Big Lots sells something called Racing Polish (look in automotive) for a buck or two. Same thing, more or less

Jan 3, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #6,641 of 27,169
Quote:

well why you lads have been getting all excited about new headphones ( or fanatsizing about ecr 500s ) I have been assembling the ultimate driver of ortho's and I am speechless ( not typless obviously ) but I am sitting here listening to the YH2 with new found respect. errrm yes, YH2 was being used as the sacrificial test phone. ( not quite sacrificial but you know what I mean ) Now I gotta make it look pretty so's I can show y'all. The next SoCal meet is going to have a real kicker in their midst
beerchug.gif
..dB

err..some of us...wait..specifically me, can't wait that long.

Can i listen to this please..after listening to your other SFI creation I am sure this is going to be something great too.

I am ready..please let me know when

Jan 3, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #6,642 of 27,169
first I need to learn how to spell or scan my typing before I hit the return button :wink:

we will soon have an almighty showdown here in puddle town, smeggy will find it well worth the trip if he can make it
very_evil_smiley.gif

..dB

Jan 3, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #6,644 of 27,169
I wish I also had enough T30 orthos so that I could sit on them :)

Meanwhile, let's enjoy this old review of the ATH-1!

ath1reviewig1.jpg

In short: uncomfortable, weak bass, cheap, nice midrange and highs.
Voices sound great, and it's good also for classical musc, in particular the violin.

Jan 3, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #6,645 of 27,169
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I also had enough T30 orthos so that I could sit on them :)

Meanwhile, let's enjoy this old review of the ATH-1!

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/3...1reviewig1.jpg

In short: uncomfortable, weak bass, cheap, nice midrange and highs.
Voices sound great, and it's good also for classical musc, in particular the violin.

Nice!
Yeah, they mention that they only weigh 150 grams and hence should be comfortable. But are not, since they apply too much pressure on the ears and such.
They seem to like the midrange though, especially on human voice. With a fortè on classical music.

So a quite average result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back