Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 2, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #6,616 of 27,169
Damn, I want to try these T50RPs in a solid housing. They're really close to sounding almost like the K1000 at the upper reaches but with less delicacy and openness. I think the key is still to kill the housing. I've been switching between these and the K1k with the cages closed in and, not bad at all.

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #6,617 of 27,169
Take that, K1000!
devil_face.gif
I'm sure your T50RP drivers will eventually end up in wooden housings and sound really great. It's only a matter of time...

Jan 2, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #6,619 of 27,169
I think that the 10 I paid for the HOK is more like it. It also appears to get a touch bassier for each layer of lambskin added (so far). As smeggy predicted. (I am adding one more layer right now... more comfortable and more bassy is a winning formula for these) Although the pads get increasingly expensive for each layer, one square feet of the less expensive leather costs 15 euros so I think I am soon spending more on the pads than on the HOK itself. I now have another explanation for the closed-in feeling. If I push them in and then let go, they work like a vacuum pump, pumping out air from inside the pads. (not that I know anything about vacuum pumps of course.)

Although, the Grundig was really expensive, but it was also something ... unopened...

Now, if I only had one of these clamped PMB-driver orthos to work on... I want to see if they can also be made to sing some bass notes.... but perhaps that's truly a lost cause.

I look forward to hear more of the RP driver moving in to it's new house!

Jan 2, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #6,620 of 27,169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im in a similar situation with a Fostex T30 owner, who wanted roughly $278. No way was I paying that.

Did you say T30?

Edit: Sorry F2D, I couldn't resist!

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #6,622 of 27,169
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is a beautiful sight *sigh*

I really like the T30.

Yes, it really is. How big is that driver again? I know I have seen a Smeggy woody, though IIRC, it was still a supra, right?

The new T50 pads look to have a pretty big hole, much bigger than the t20. Pads look nice though, they may have to be the next orthos I buy.

More dynamic headphones here, a pair of Jecklin Float model 2 showed up two days ago, courtesy of headfi diy.
duggehsmile.png

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #6,623 of 27,169
Cool stuff Colin.

Yes I think that those new T50RP pads may well enable a very nice circum T30. The driver shoves out enough bass to do the job and the pads are good enough to keep it in place. Could be an awesome headphone. I'll need to get another T30 to try it though if any more show up.

Let us know how the Jecklin is.

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #6,624 of 27,169
Wait, you say the new T50rp pads are circum? Dang, I may have to buy a pair tonight.

The Jecklin is interesting, though quite different than any ortho I have heard. Mainly not as smooth, and way more soundstage.

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #6,625 of 27,169
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you say T30?

Edit: Sorry F2D, I couldn't resist!

Behuutiful, hopefully one of those pretties will be mine once f2d has his wicked ways with them
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #6,626 of 27,169
Hey!!!! I was about to post a somewhat cleaned up and cropped version of that pic
biggrin.gif

T30x4.jpg

Just to give you an idea what I had to go through to get them:

1) Take subway all the way to the other part of NYC
2) deal with obnoxious doorman of some has been rock star (yeah these belonged to some rock star dude)
ph34r.gif

3) Drag 25 kilo box until I got fed-up and got a cab.
4) Rescue them from this mess:

T30_mess.jpg

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #6,627 of 27,169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey!!!! I was about to post a somewhat cleaned up and cropped version of that pic
biggrin.gif

T30x4.jpg

Just to give you an idea what I had to go through to get them:

1) Take subway all the way to the other part of NYC
2) deal with obnoxious doorman of some has been rock star (yeah these belonged to some rock star dude)
ph34r.gif

3) Drag 25 kilo box until I got fed-up and got a cab.
4) Rescue them from this mess:

T30_mess.jpg

I am truly grateful, and i owe you some repair work some day.

And yeah, these used to belong to a washed-up guitarist. Probably a lot of the old fostexen we buy did - but this time, we know which one.

One or more of these headphones may have contributed to the "Fame" soundtrack. Or even more chillingly, any number of Diana Ross albums.

Jan 3, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #6,628 of 27,169
Members of Team Ortho now own pieces of history! Amazing.
tongue.gif

Edit: Rachmaninov 2 is played everywhere by everyone, but it still gets me nearly every time with nearly every headphone I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back