Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 4, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #6,661 of 27,169
I've mentioned this oldster a zillion times, but here's a picture: the Foster-built [EDIT: Well, we thought it was. It was in fact made by Tandy Corp. Electronics, TCE, in Korea] Realistic STA-2200, sold by Radio Shack from late '79 to mid '82:

sta-2200front.jpg

STA22002B-e.jpg

Uses first-gen Hitachi lateral MOSFETs (2SK134 and 2SJ49) in TO-3 "Forbidden Planet" cases.

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #6,662 of 27,169
Cool old reviews, and today, like then makers are still screwing up on the basics.

I had my doubts and suspicions about the T50RP. I had a feeling the driver was good but the housing was bad. I suspected the smaller bass was due to both circum design and the smallish diaphragm.

Ok, right on some, wrong on others.

As they come they are perectly listenable, nice and better than most orthos unmodded. I did the first round of mods and they improved nicely. I was still very suspicious of the housing and I knew I couldn't fix what was wrong with it so I went on an all-out assault.

These are now top of my phone pile. The driver is outstanding and needs no on-driver damping imo. The reflex dot is good but that's it. Properly mounted and housed with just a couple of disks of medium felt lining the cups they kick everything else I own or have tried. It's a closed, largish cup with small port like all my other most successful efforts.

The treble is sweet and extended, clear and sparkly as no other ortho I've heard. Smooth, fast, detailed and bass that is now full, powerful, deep and effortless in it's presentation.

On top of that, being circum also means extremely comfy, especially with the new pads and mounting setup. It's hard to believe it's the same phone. I think I'm going to totally cease looking for oldies on the bay, these are the best planar drivers I've met of any type. Fostex still messed it up with that crappy plastic housing. These drivers are so much better than Fostex, or anyone else realises.

Incredible, just outstanding! My ortho search is over.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #6,663 of 27,169
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are now top of my phone pile.

Pics? And when are you going to get "member of the trade" status and offer the modded T50RP to the general public? I for one would probably get them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #6,665 of 27,169
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

ph34r.gif
eek.gif
ph34r.gif
Congrats on the modding success
biggrin.gif
.!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I for one would probably get them.
smily_headphones1.gif

x2, me too.

Interestingly, check out the description of the T50RP model here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details
Quote:

Fostex T50RP Studio Headphones with Improved Transient Response

Seems like it must have been an official product upgrade, and we just missed seeing it.

Jan 4, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #6,666 of 27,169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ph34r.gif
eek.gif
ph34r.gif
Congrats on the modding success
biggrin.gif
.!

Interestingly, check out the description of the T50RP model here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

Seems like it must have been an official product upgrade, and we just missed seeing it.

It's nice that smeggy likes his T50, I like mine as well, not as much as he likes his, but I like them just fine.

Nope, they have been saying this for 8 years
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #6,667 of 27,169
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've mentioned this oldster a zillion times, but here's a picture: the Foster-built (in Korea) Realistic STA-2200, sold by Radio Shack from late '79 to mid '82:

Uses first-gen Hitachi lateral MOSFETs in TO-3 "Forbidden Planet" cases.

Looks nice for an old amp, but too busy for my taste. I bet is sounds better than it looks
ph34r.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #6,669 of 27,169
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a vented-closed design, not even close to a true open-back design. The best you can do is absorb backwaves so they don't bounce around in there with nothing to do.

As I recall, the fabric over the teeny vent is thin nonwoven, the same stuff that's covering the driver on the baffle so your ear can't see it. Don't see any reason not to open the other [blocked] vents with a dremel type tool, but I don't expect much audible improvement. Line the interior with craft felt-- that'll properly damp the vent(s) and cut down on reflections.

You might want to seal the cup halves where they join. There's also an anti-fart "port", just like the one Stax inflicted on the 007. You could try plugging that.

I'm sure the vents would have been more successful had the driver been mounted straight instead of diagonally, but I guess Fostex might have had issues fitting it in. Sounds like yet another involved modding scheme for one of my orthos. Hopefully I'll actually get to it, and the others.
biggrin.gif

I finally got around to buying a fosterphone for a pair of SFI drivers...

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy

Nice job, smeggy. We expect pictures.
biggrin.gif

I hope to get reasonably close with all the mods I intend to do. Basically see above quoted post by wualta plus some minor driver tweaking.

Jan 4, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #6,670 of 27,169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's nice that smeggy likes his T50, I like mine as well, not as much as he likes his, but I like them just fine.

Anything in particular missing or added that's detracting from your enthusiasm of the T50?

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #6,671 of 27,169
Morning time and they're still awesome.
smily_headphones1.gif

I thought ahead this time and took some pics on the way.

Kingwood cups partly hollowed out.

DSC_7698.JPG

Drivers in their trimmed down baffles

DSC_7699.JPG

Glued solidly.

DSC_7700.JPG

Drivers attached to the Rock Maple baffles, profiled like the original baffles

DSC_7702.JPG

Dry run for testing before sealing up

DSC_7703.JPG

Sealed and attached to the adjusted headband. I bent the arms in for better clamp/seal and cup clearance. Added fluff for good measure.

DSC_7704.JPG

Showing the extra bent arms, I re-shaped the headband to suit, super comfy and they stay in place when rocking out
biggrin.gif

DSC_7707.JPG

Just need to close off the end caps.

I'm such a happy little bunny right now.
biggrin.gif

Thanks guys.

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #6,672 of 27,169
Wow, those T50 drivers look like little toys, not some serious piece of audio hardware. Still, they look great in your woodies, though I cant see where the vents are located. Those are the stock earpads?

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #6,673 of 27,169
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything in particular missing or added that's detracting from your enthusiasm of the T50?

I imagine it's the same as with these before rehousing. Very nice but not exceptional in any particular way. I don't know that it's possible for the drivers to shine without really heavyweight mods. The T50RP is another flawed phone that is really punished by poorly thought out implementation.

The housing is thin live plastic with no damping/absorption inside and that causes that bloom/boomy bass without letting them go deep or strong in the right places. Good overall balance but so far from what they are capable of. I know it's a studio phone at a low retail price and making them sound really good would double their price at least. They could easily make a premium version to sell to the consumer market.

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #6,674 of 27,169
Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, those T50 drivers look like little toys, not some serious piece of audio hardware. Still, they look great in your woodies, though I cant see where the vents are located. Those are the stock earpads?

The drivers are teeny wee things but they can kick like the big boys. The vents are little holes the same size as the cable hole but at the top of the cup, one hole per side. The pads are stock and the baffle is shaped as an oval like the original, the cups are round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back