Orthodynamic Roundup
Aug 31, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #23,432 of 27,141
So I got the memory foam HM5's, their pleather isn't as soft as the regular ones, the foam disc is stiffer and the extra distance from the drivers is a no-go in my case. I've let them sleep under a huge pile of books, maybe that'll help.

BTW, why don't the neo-ortho designers learn from the vintage ones? The Hifiman manager told me that he never heard a yamie, this might be true after all.

1) Lame attemps at damping: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audeze-lcd-x-fazor-and-fresh-listen-current-lcd-2-and-lcd-3

Angel Hair would be far more effective.

2) Hifiman finally discovering the Bellini headband that was introduced with the HP1 in 1975, it's about time....especially when you make such heavy phones. The good news is that Audeze will have to bite too because their 650g LCD-XC must be pure torture and would become far more manageable with a Bellini duh.

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #23,433 of 27,141
Interesting point.  May not be necessary but you would think that if one was developing a \nü-ˈvō\ ortho thing you would get your hands on as many as you could to see what the various design parameters do to the end results.
Guess anything is possible

I wish they did that we might be sitting on a few more new portable ones these days. Not portable 50 lbs-move-it-with-a-crane but actual smaller on the go types.

Increasing distance with pads I find often makes the sound murkier.
Twaron would make a great selling feature/partnership because of what it adds as well as subtracts
beerchug.gif
  Something like what foam tip companies do with IEMs

Aug 31, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #23,434 of 27,141
I still wonder why no one has made a modern T10 equivalent yet...

Sep 1, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #23,437 of 27,141
The back is pleather so it's entirely acceptable bass-wise but this phone is way too heavy to my taste anyway, 432g without a Bellini headband is unmanageable.

BTW, anyone's got a YH1 to trade around here? I couldn't care less about the condition of the shell as I'd be transplanting the drivers. I've got a good bunch of rare vintage orthos I could trade for it
happy_face1.gif

Sep 4, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #23,440 of 27,141
I tried but forgot to hit refresh because it was early in the morning and missed it by a minute...Oh well another one will show up.
Pics saved for posterity.

Looks to me like a Victor OEM along the likes of the Akai ASE40 types?

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #23,442 of 27,141
  new arrivals ?

for some other lucky person, but not mine unfortunately :frowning2:

I missed them by only a few minutes, the browser needed a manual refresh but I forgot to do that. Just wanted to post the pictures because real pictures are always better than grainy old catalog ones.
 Hope it was someone in here ( Yahoo Japan )

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #23,444 of 27,141

Users who are viewing this thread

Back