Orthodynamic Roundup
Aug 14, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #23,416 of 27,141
I've just received my Alpha pad ... can't say anything but THEY KICK ASS §! 
eek.gif

Ultra comfy, and overall enhancement of the SQ and the SS. The most chocking thing is they give a huge bass boost ! With my mod I had ultra tight bass but no depth, well the Alpha pads solved the problem 
biggrin.gif

They're really a HUGE improvement for your headphone 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks a lot Mr Speakers !

900x900px-LL-4e181bcc_P1090280.jpeg

Below my Yamaha YH-100 with J$ pad (huge thanks for everything Lee Perry 
biggrin.gif
 )

900x900px-LL-9a9e66ae_P1090281.jpeg

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #23,417 of 27,141
ATH-2 drivers in a decrepit ATH-M45 housing with detachable cable.
Dampened with newplast.  SRH840 pads.

If I didn't know any better, I would think this is a legit headphone just by the sound, know what I mean?  Now I just need some material to kill the cup reverb.  What should I use?  Angel hair, I figure?
I'm getting a flat-ish FR, except for the hill in the treble centered at ~11kHz.  The sound reminds me a lot of SA3000, but without killing my ears and the bass thumps more.

I tried the drivers in a spare DT770 housing, but to get that to work well I will need to be able to build my own custom primary chamber, the Beyer "crown" will simply not do, probably something similar to to what A2000X/W1000X use if not an enalrged version of what Beyer drivers use in DT770 variants.

I still need to pretty much do the same for this AT housing to max out the bass response and soundstaging.

Aug 18, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #23,418 of 27,141
I love my ATH-2 after redampening, refilling pads and recabling to light short cable. And ATH-2 housing looks so cool, retro and also I like that they looks not like any other headphones, especially not like Beats and clones :)

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #23,419 of 27,141
Any of you have the mr speakers maddogs? I'd like to see inside one and compare it to my own custom t50rp othro's, my best guess is those super nice ear pads have more to do with the improvements over anything else done inside. I've been away from hf for a bit but i do mean to post more detailed images of the 3d printed ortho's i made and links for the .stl files for others to print. Ill be updating this thread shortly but till then i have a few images posted.  ​ 

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #23,421 of 27,141
Lets hope you didn't just shot yourself in the foot or is it ear? Hey when they show up how about posting some measurements like how deep they are and how far they compact when on the head. I'm always looking for large comfy ear pads that don't squish my brain.

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #23,422 of 27,141
leeperry and his incoming new pad variant :"Looking forward to impressions" / "I can't wait" as the youts like ta say these dayz.

For those purists with Yamahey HP-50 types, I saw some brown pads that might work, their normal target demographic is the Sony PiiQ so a bit unsure as to exact dimensions, but I can ask if you like. A bit better than black pads with the clashing brown headband padding.
Yes I realize you can't see them when on, but you're buying the whole schtick when you get them, the idea, so this seals the deal up nicely.
If someone knows the dimensions before I get to it please post up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multicolor-Replacement-Cushion-Ear-Pads-Covers-Sony-MDR-PQ2-PQII-Headphones-/251465946723?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item8024ed4d8c

Incidentally his HD-25 pad replacements are a nice soft cushy job. I can post pics later and measurements if anyone cares ( currently on some Yamaha YHE-90 )
  Seller is really decent I've been back multiple times. It's the fella that used to include a postcard ( forget if he still does ) and a well wishes greetings note.

Did I mention THANKS for the iFogs pads idea, Imight have, anyhow thanks, will be tracking some of those little lifesavers ( lifesavers-size, and yes saved me ) down locally.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #23,423 of 27,141
Well just looking at them i know exactly the kind of material they are and a pretty good guess at the foam that will be inside. You do not want those pads, that kind of material gets really hot and doesn't breath it also tends to make crinkling sounds as you move around. Same kind of pads knock off headphones you find at somewhere like big lots where the whole headphone only costs $9.99. If you must get that type of pad they can be found for a lot cheaper.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #23,424 of 27,141
yeah those types are pretty bad, I suppose brown ones can be had elsewhere. I might throw a set in my next order to one billion percent confirm that the one percent chance of them filled with softer foam is true :)
Probably not much difference to the Sony 150/200 things.

I see you spyin' bucketinabucket ! Any trials with that fuzzy yellow stuff yet ?
ph34r.gif
popcorn.gif

Aug 23, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #23,427 of 27,141
Hy I have read this forum for a while, but still this is my first time writing here. (The joke is my handmade diy tube amplifiers have been shown here before. :) )
Now I got some interesting here! 
I have bought a faulty Beyerdynamic DT770Edition 32Ohm and I have replaced the stock drivers with drivers from my old Hok 80.
Here is the pictures from my blog (of course there is much more hifi thing in this blog) 

http://logout.hu/bejegyzes/vodkaboy22/orto_dt770edition_hok80_orthodynamic_driverek_91db.html

Aug 23, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #23,428 of 27,141
Thanks for the post!
 I will post  those picture up for you since you don't have enough posts to be able to post pictures yet. If you want me to remove them just let me know :)
vodkaboy22's Hok80 to Beyer transplant project :

What are the two yellow discs that are shown it the last few pictures? And also some other discs are those the thin black fabric dust-guards the came with the Beyers??  Oh and how do you like the sound  without the heavy rear damping materials ?

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #23,429 of 27,141
Thank you for your post!
The materials (little grey and yellow@green ) have comed with the hok. I just inserted it in the beyer. I am still changing the concept (dumping and shielding).
The problem is the bass response is rubbish... Just not enough... And the middle just tooooo much :frowning2:

Now I want to make the whole space inside the can and between the driver and my ear make smaller  (better shielding) > maybe more bass...
With the dumping I hit the mark! It was just as good as I wanted. Interesting... Still the middle is too much but precise. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back