Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 24, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #22,606 of 27,171
  You've been doing it repeatedly over the past few days with various headphones.

Do quote the places where I've done that as I don't remember doing so. If I have, I do apologize.

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #22,607 of 27,171
Woah so much activity while I was gone! Awesome sauce.

Quote:
  How are you finding the high end on these?
 And speed or decay?

Also anyone else with theirs around and handy please chime in here. Of course all are going to be slightly different.
Wondering about  tuning towards a tighter decay or presentation on the next. or at least what the limit is there before it affects the rest of what is fantastic about them, let's call it the OUTER LIMITS.
Thinking about what  used in the final T50rp's and adapting it to here.Theoretically it should work. Think like a driver. Think like sound..
popcorn.gif
NOT that they are poor in overall sound quality, just making more trouble for myself here I suspect.

And i should mention what other people are probably thinking "DAT CABLE!!!!" veeery nice

EDIT : nearly forgot to ask this is important. Was there a white paper damper in there and did you replace it or remove it if so?

... well, time for me to crack open and recable my HP-50a! I'm actually thinking of giving it a detachable cable... it's going to be so ugly...
Will get back to you guys if it works.

EDIT: There is indeed a white paper and very thin black cloth between the drivers and the baffle in the HP-50A

Ever seen the ATH 0.3? Mighty weird too but somehow I like it.

They reused the same design principle for the much newer ATH-ES88. You might like it, although naturally it doesn't come cheap when it's a EarSuit model.

The only reason I posted it is because the price is so high that no one will be crazy enough to buy it. Did you even read the rest of my post before judging me?

You should have seen the one from the same guy, selling a semi-functional one for over $1k 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, it's not completely crazy pricing since they're practically unobtainium (and those drivers only degrade over time?).

P.S. Bucket, I love the reference to your location. *highfive*

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #22,608 of 27,171
  ... well, time for me to crack open and recable my HP-50a! I'm actually thinking of giving it a detachable cable... it's going to be so ugly...
Will get back to you guys if it works.

You should have seen the one from the same guy, selling a semi-functional one for over $1k 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, it's not completely crazy pricing since they're practically unobtainium (and those drivers only degrade over time?).

Good luck!

I can't believe people would actually buy it at those kind of prices. Even if it's unobtainium, damn I might as well buy something like a TH600 and a good amp to go with it.

PMed you with the rest of my off-topic responses 
tongue.gif

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #22,609 of 27,171
Hi guys, can you recommend me which ortho best for portable use? In terms of easy driving (my source is Ibasso dx50), isolation and sound quality. YHD-1, YH-100, ATH-1 ??? Or something else? And it should be not so expensive. From my list YHD-1 most expensive one(can find only for 310 usd on eBay included delivery...). My price range about 200usd and below(actually around 100usd :)) Thank you !

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #22,610 of 27,171
Maybe buy a HP/YH-2 or 3 or a HP50 and do a driver transplant into another housing. YHDs and YHEs are pretty rare.

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #22,611 of 27,171
Thank you, in this case better to buy YH-1, HP-1 ? :)
Actually I bought already HP-2/ YH-2 (not received yet) and I own TDS-5M. But for driving TDS I'm switching dx50 to HG and even with full volume sound not so loud. So I'm afraid that HP-2 will be more difficult to drive ( 94db sensivity, 150 ohm instead of 94dv sens, 85ohm for TDS). That's why I'm looking for more sensitive headphones...

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #22,612 of 27,171
It's better to pair a portable amp with orthos anyways because to my knowledge, they're pretty current-hungry. I do understand if you don't have enough money to purchase one though. In this case, yea it's probably a better idea to get the HP/YH-1. The HP/YH-1's drivers are larger though so it'll be more difficult to transplant them into a shell small enough to be called portable yet large enough for adequate driver dampening.

I'm not sure how any of the orthos I mentioned fare for portable use with the stock shell, but I assumed that they'd leak and have relatively poor isolation due to the vents on the sides of the cups and therefore won't be the best.

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #22,613 of 27,171
Yes I know that mostly orthos very hungry to power, even portable amp maybe not enought to rock them to full power... And that's why I want to buy something more friendly for portable. I google that yhd-1, yh-100, ATH-1(SFi) has higher sensivity and less impedance (ATH-1). If I can use some of That orthos without amp( don't really want to carry sandwich ) and get good quality of sound, loudness I probably will consider to sell my HP-2 and YH-2 or only one of then and buy more portable pair. Thank you.

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #22,615 of 27,171
There's always stuff like the TDS-15 that is rather easy to drive. It's made portable too with foldable headband and all, just that it's open back.

Well... The recabling came to be a mess x.x
The plastic epoxy I had was also way too hard to work with so unfortunately I could only manage to use a silicone based material which honestly isn't anywhere near solid.

But at least I can insert and remove the cable without needing to hold the stuff down. Ugly as sin I know x.x

Mar 25, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #22,616 of 27,171
Yes I know that mostly orthos very hungry to power, even portable amp maybe not enought to rock them to full power... And that's why I want to buy something more friendly for portable. I google that yhd-1, yh-100, ATH-1(SFi) has higher sensivity and less impedance (ATH-1). If I can use some of That orthos without amp( don't really want to carry sandwich ) and get good quality of sound, loudness I probably will consider to sell my HP-2 and YH-2 or only one of then and buy more portable pair. Thank you.
I know that the orthos like yh100 are open to dust and the elements to such an extent that I would not take them far from your listening station for fear of ruining them. Open or semi open HPs are not designed to be portable IMO.

Mar 25, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #22,617 of 27,171
I would not suggest any of the suspension-banded Yamahas as portables (YH-1/2, YH-100, YH-1000) simply because they would be far too prone to falling off your 'noggin while on the move. The strut design is very fragile and you have to be gentle with it. The YHD-x was designed to be portable but they're open-backed and have no pads at all, so they're most likely not what you're looking for. The YHEs are all quite rare. The YH-3 is susceptible to product variance and requires mods but is the closest to a portable that's easy to acquire. 

The orthos I use as portables on occasion are my Smela TDS-16s. Absolutely tiny and isolate suprisingly well, very unassuming and deceptively cheap looking, pretty stable on the head, etc. They do leak a bit though. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #22,619 of 27,171
  Hey there, just thought I'd briefly share this damping scheme that I've found to be particularly enjoyable.
Nothing sciency here, just throwing a few ideas out there for people to try out.

♦ Electrical tape sealing all the vents, bar the 2 outer most vents
♦ 1mm self-adhesive creatology felt around the inner circumference of the black shell cup
♦ 1mm self-adhesive creatology felt on the back of 1mm thick card treble-reflection disk on the rear of the driver - stuck down with double sided tape 
♦ 2mm creatology felt (white) loose damping behind driver that does not obstruct the vents (I may replace this with a better fitting disk)

The most important elements here is the felt around the inner circumference of the black cup and the 2 remaining vents - the first of which seems to widen the soundstage considerably and somewhat tighten bass response and the second extends the bass slightly.
I'm not fully satisfied with the white felt... I'm still playing around with the main damping material until I find something that gives more air... but I think these drivers are just more naturally aspired to a 'liquid' sound rather than an 'airy' sound.

May I ask which headphones you're modding?

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #22,620 of 27,171

May I ask which headphones you're modding?

Ah yes I totally forgot - Fostex T10 - which would have only been obvious to other T10 owners from the distinctive driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back