Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 22, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #22,576 of 27,174
  Armaegis do ya feel like speaking about the older Ultrasone offset driver project you did a while back. Getting curious about trying something similar.
 Don't have to...

It was with a Yamaha YH10ms shell, which was a rebadged Ultrasone HFi450 (I think) and SFI drivers. My attempts at getting even sound out of that were mediocre. Weird peakiness all over the treble; not super piercing, but aggravating nonetheless. I can't remember how much cotton I used in there but it was a lot. The cup has the main chamber and this sort of ring area along the outer edge (aligned over the S-Logic vents on the baffle). I'm not saying it's impossible, but dealing with both the cup and S-Logic chambers is a bugger.

If you want to try an Ultrasone transplant, I'd say start with a Pro frame. Those are simpler and sturdier to work with.

Mar 22, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #22,577 of 27,174

It was with a Yamaha YH10ms shell, which was a rebadged Ultrasone HFi450 (I think) and SFI drivers. My attempts at getting even sound out of that were mediocre. Weird peakiness all over the treble; not super piercing, but aggravating nonetheless. I can't remember how much cotton I used in there but it was a lot. The cup has the main chamber and this sort of ring area along the outer edge (aligned over the S-Logic vents on the baffle). I'm not saying it's impossible, but dealing with both the cup and S-Logic chambers is a bugger.

If you want to try an Ultrasone transplant, I'd say start with a Pro frame. Those are simpler and sturdier to work with.

Was weighing the options with duplicating the baffle from the Pro2500 arrangement this will allow any number of potential donors since I'd be making a custom baffle up. I wonder how much of the treble issues were the SFI  and how much was part of the driver being directly blocked and reflected ( I am guessing both things ). Last I looked at least 1/3 of the top of the driver was directly obscured. I don't need to tell you this the  pesky SFI's can be difficult at the best of times. If it is anything like the other Ultrasones then part of the driver is obscured directly by where it is mounted flush to the baffle rears there, obviously acting as a big instant refelecting area. Hmmm but that's sending things back into the cups though isn't it, so my logic is flawed i think. I guess one might have to mount it slightly off from flush, and at least stuff a bit of somethin somethin in front as damping to lessen that a bit. I dunno

Just thinking out loud, pics will follow if i ever get around to it :)

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #22,578 of 27,174
Reflections from the blocked driver (so that's a going to produce a weird out of sync backwave that's going to reflect off the cup), reflections from the normal backwave off the cup, reflections off the weird the s-logic chambers... bleh. The pro frame at least doesn't have those funny chambers.

I think mounting offset with some damping in front is a good idea if you want to go that route.

Personally though, I think it might be an exercise in futility. I think all those s-logic ports plus big planar backwave wind up cancelling all the bass and muddling things up.

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #22,579 of 27,174
yessir Mad Modder Man of Manitoba is right I believe, as usual :)
If anything angled at most

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #22,580 of 27,174
Angle it, seal up some ports... but then what would be the point of using the frame in the first place right? (although admittedly I do like those sturdy Ultrasone frames)

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #22,581 of 27,174
an excuse for a new 2200 model maybe....

That's my lame comment but anything that bumps the worthiness of the thread here.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #22,582 of 27,174
If you like the Ultrasone frame, look up the Beyer DT660/860 which are very similar (mostly likely the same oem). Cheapest option might be the discontinued Beyer DJX (that wasn't it, I forget) which I've seen go for pretty cheap before.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #22,583 of 27,174
  If you like the Ultrasone frame, look up the Beyer DT660/860 which are very similar (mostly likely the same oem). Cheapest option might be the discontinued Beyer DJX (that wasn't it, I forget) which I've seen go for pretty cheap before.

Why not go with the Superlux 330 440 or 660 and save a few bucks then?

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #22,584 of 27,174
you guys stop this temptation....

Mar 23, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #22,585 of 27,174
Oh yeah, totally. The Superlux 330/660 are like baby Beyers.

You want a challenge Nick, try and get an ortho driver to work in a Sony MDR-F1 frame...

Mar 23, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #22,586 of 27,174
Can I cheat and use a tiny rubber tube on the driver? Might be a creepy feeling. There are some cheapo F1 knockoffs on ebay.de . What I would really love to tackle is one of the Technics things that look like that. Can't find a picture though they are sure screwy looking

Mar 23, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #22,587 of 27,174
  Can I cheat and use a tiny rubber tube on the driver? Might be a creepy feeling. There are some cheapo F1 knockoffs on ebay.de . What I would really love to tackle is one of the Technics things that look like that. Can't find a picture though they are sure screwy looking

These?

These are the Panasonic/Technics RP-HDA100. I really want one.

Mar 23, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #22,588 of 27,174
YES YES!!!!  THANKS! ( insert bowing smiley here )

Mar 23, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #22,590 of 27,174

Users who are viewing this thread

Back