Opus Vs Ori Zhalou
Sep 29, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #16 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you have high quality recordings and a high quality source, then i respectfull disagree, the ability of the stax to reveal faults is a positive, not a negative quality. imho it just means your components upstream are not up to scratch and the stax are simply making it more obvious

One can look at revelations in two ways. Too much, and it can put you off listening to certain discs/tracks. Too little, and you end up frantically replacing all or parts of your set up with a touch of paranoia.
No two tracks are recorded with the same care and attention, and a revealing system will expose that. The uninitiated could however easily condemn his/her equipment for product deficiencies that can in fact trace their roots to the recording studios and their use of the equipment at hand. I remember a classic case of when one of the female singers of TLC refused to use the mics we provided for a video shoot. She had used a similar mic on one of their discs, and the results turned out to be horrible on the finished product. The mic was blamed, not the record producer. Try listening to Nora Jones's 1st CD on the Stax, and in particular #2. The main voice should be slap bang in the middle, with the backing vocals hard left and hard right. It's a lousy producer mix, but vocal separation is spot on. Some systems manage to create a completely different picture that has a wider soundstage that isn't actually on the discs. Now try Nora Jones "It's Not To Late" #2, and listen to the soundstage on that. Miles better, and that's how it was recorded.
If you try those same tracks with a set of electrostatics, open, and closed headphones you get 3 different impressions on the 1st example, but an almost identical impression on the 2nd example.
So searching for Nirvana is not an open and shut case, and no single solution exist. If you ask me, a DAC with 3 different processed outputs could come close to a solution, and I am actually considering doing just that to one of my DACs as an experiment.

Sep 29, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #17 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the record: I use 3 turntables, 4 cans, 3 power amps, 2 pre-amps, 4 DACs
So searching for Nirvana is not an open and shut case, and no single solution exist

I calculated 288 permutations, ignoring different cables... That would give me a nervous breakdown, not nirvana...
wink.gif

For me, there is no ideal equipment. The practical rule I apply to upgrades is that if my current gear gives me 95% or even 90% of what I perceive the new gear would, then the switch is probably not worth it.
I definitely don't want to have multiples of options. That's when the gear takes over the music!

Sep 29, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #18 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is this Opus source you guys speak off... I have been intentionally out of the dedicated source forum for a while
icon10.gif

It's a DIY DAC from Twisted Pear Audio that, like most of their products can be built in numerous configurations due to their modular approach. fierce_freak built one and prefered it over the Zapped Zhaolu which really peaked my interest, as I was considering an upgrade. He was gracious enough to build one for me, and I kind of went all out with it, including the addition of a Zapfilter. He was sent a faulty Zapfilter, and now has a replacement, and I believe is close to completion on it. I'm sure I'll have a lot to say about it once I receive it. That may be a few weeks, as I'm hoping philodox might be making the day trip to check it and my new Donut MKII headphones out at Jim's place soon.

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/opus/opus.aspx

Ori and Jim, I'm glad you figured out you were talking about different products, because I was a little confused (yeah, that does happen a lot though).
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #19 of 66
Quit making excuses for fierce! He's a lazy, sob and we all know it!!

lol

I am VERY interested in how yours comes out btw.

I have learned patience finally it would appear. I have the $$ but feel no pressure to spend it yet.

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #20 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quit making excuses for fierce! He's a lazy, sob and we all know it!!

lol

I am VERY interested in how yours comes out btw.

I have learned patience finally it would appear. I have the $$ but feel no pressure to spend it yet.

LOL! Shhhh, you're not supposed to say that about people until after you've received your equipment.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yeah my confidence in Jim was so low that I went ahead and commisioned a big $ amp from him too.
wink.gif

Honestly I've been quite impressed with all of the people I've chosen for DIY projects on here. Not one bad experience to date, of coarse I've done my research before making my choices. Jim is another Head-Fi DIYer that I have the utmost confidence in, and I've told him on many occasions that I wasn't in a hurry.

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #22 of 66
I of course was kidding about Fierce. Just want to be clear on that!

Don't poop in my 7510 Jim!

I am also cruising old Theta dacs just b/c they are cheap and reputable.

Sep 29, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #25 of 66
I just don't think there are that many people who've heard both the OMZ and Opus.

Quote:

Don't poop in my 7510 Jim!

Oh man, where's that old fake dog poop when you need it huh Jim? I've heard of crappy DACs, but that's takin' it quite literal.
blink.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #26 of 66
Either/or works for me but time will tell. The 7510 isn't a crappy dac btw lol. It COULD be if Jim takes me literally.

Sep 29, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #27 of 66
Quote:

Either/or works for me but time will tell. The 7510 isn't a crappy dac btw lol. It COULD be if Jim takes me literally.

Yeah I didn't mean any offense to your DAC in particular, before Jim's final fecal mod anyway.
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #28 of 66
Yeah after the poop mod it sounds much more organic......and moist...

omg how did I take this path? lol

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #29 of 66
Quote:

Yeah after the poop mod it sounds much more organic......and moist...

dude...I so didn't need to read this...

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #30 of 66
I am interested to hear the result too...
also, one question, is the optical input on the OMZ disable? if not... optical and digital, which sounds better?

is it just me... or the price on the OMZ just keep on getting higher and higher @_@...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back