Opus Vs Ori Zhalou
Oct 2, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #46 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that depends on what you're looking for, really. Unfortunately I can't compare to OMZ as I haven't heard it. There are those that have equated OMZ with zapped Zhaolu (which I've owned) as far as SQ goes, not signature. Zapfiltered Opus handily beats zapped Zhaolu to my ears.

Good point and when I did a shoot out the a Zapped Zhaolu and the OMZ, the OMZ beat the Zapped Zhaolu hands down IMHO. It really does depend on what you are looking for and the signature that matches your equipment and ears best. I really don't care for the Zapped sound too much and noticed a significant difference between it and the OMZ with headphones. Phillip and I did a thread on that a while ago if anyone is interested in reading it. The Opus is fantastic, cheap and a must have for me in my system as it adds a different dynamic from what I already have.

Abe, when mine gets finished, you are welcome to try it out for a couple of weeks. Mind you it may be a little while before it gets completed
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #47 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point and when I did a shoot out the a Zapped Zhaolu and the OMZ, the OMZ beat the Zapped Zhaolu hands down IMHO.

Once I listened to my OMZ 2.0A, my curiosity became reality.

I am not talking about the OMZ in particular, it could be ABC or 123.
biggrin.gif
The real beauty, IMHO, is how one could design a decent audio device that "fights" against the nature of electronics.

It is fun to watch inventors make very innovative things on earth. It woudl be double happiness for me if such products can make music sound very pleasant.
eggosmile.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #48 of 66
Being one who absolutely loved my Zapfiltered Zhaolu, and going through a quick bout of sellers remorse after selling it, I'm thrilled to hear fierce_freak's statements about the Zapped Opus being a no contest winner for him. I get the impression that we have similar preferences in SQ. I'll certainly give some impressions of it with both my headphone and speaker rigs. Just a little bit longer until it's home.

Oct 3, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #49 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok quit with this please. There are plenty of other threads to discuss it.

I'd recommend a NOS DAC for use with electrostatics. I personally believe that Ed Meitner's old gear is the best out there.. here's one for sale now:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....onv&1194141369

search the 'gon for opinions on this DAC, and there are several threads at diyaudio on it as well.

Oct 3, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #50 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recommend a NOS DAC for use with electrostatics. I personally believe that Ed Meitner's old gear is the best out there.. here's one for sale now:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....onv&1194141369

search the 'gon for opinions on this DAC, and there are several threads at diyaudio on it as well.

The one you had at the Austin meet was very nice. I don't think I heard it with stats though, pretty nice combo huh?

And for those of you that weren't aware, Ed is the man behing EMM Labs, some very well respected gear!

Oct 3, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #51 of 66
$2100 is a wee bit outside my wallet. lol I was thinking more along the lines of $500. I am actually trying for another dac atm. If I get it I will show which one but am being coy atm b/c it is a screaming deal imo.

I can't pass up great deals lol. A weakness I know but it has worked well recently. I really am happy with my current setup. Just want to keep trying different flavors.

Oct 3, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #52 of 66
FWIW: I'm building an Opus for Burning Amp, with USB and S/PDIF inputs, SE and Balanced outputs, filtered and unfiltered. After that, I was gonna lend it out for meets (Nate's idea).

Oct 3, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #53 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW: I'm building an Opus for Burning Amp, with USB and S/PDIF inputs, SE and Balanced outputs, filtered and unfiltered. After that, I was gonna lend it out for meets (Nate's idea).

If your bored Brian, you could build one for me too!
wink.gif
I would be eternally thankful to you!!!
icon10.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #54 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point and when I did a shoot out the a Zapped Zhaolu and the OMZ, the OMZ beat the Zapped Zhaolu hands down IMHO. It really does depend on what you are looking for and the signature that matches your equipment and ears best. I really don't care for the Zapped sound too much and noticed a significant difference between it and the OMZ with headphones. Phillip and I did a thread on that a while ago if anyone is interested in reading it. The Opus is fantastic, cheap and a must have for me in my system as it adds a different dynamic from what I already have.

Abe, when mine gets finished, you are welcome to try it out for a couple of weeks. Mind you it may be a little while before it gets completed
wink.gif

Thanks Aaron! I've been talking to Mazuki to build me an Opus with no expense spared to make it 'end all' DAC for me. But I haven't had chance to really audition the Opus, so my thought was purely based on Technical aspects of Opus, which seems superior to OMZ. I'd love to get a chance to try your Opus in my system
tongue.gif
And you can pick any of my gear you'd like to try in return!
wink.gif

too bad you are in SoCal, if you were in Bay Area we can do this ALL the time!

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #55 of 66
Quote:

If your bored Brian, you could build one for me too! I would be eternally thankful to you!!!

I wouldn't say I'm bored exactly, but such a thing is possible.

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #57 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone is willing to build me an Opus, please PM me or something. I want one.

the problem is the dearth of parts...why are they sold out of all the modules? i want one, too, but the question is whether we can get our hands on the parts...

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #59 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if people didn't keep buying them all, it would be easier to keep them in stock
wink.gif
More are on the way, couple of weeks.

good point...but let's also increase production here
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back