Oppo Sonica DAC (an affordable ES9038PRO Sabre DAC)
Feb 2, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #91 of 520
So does anybody know yet, can you use this as just a DAC and bypass the digital volume control in any way? Seeing as there is no headphone jack and I have amps to use already, I was looking to use this as a pure DAC and avoid double amping if possible.

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #92 of 520

How would you be "double amping"? The Sonica DAC is a stand alone DAC with no built in amp section. If your amp has rca or xlr inputs and a headphone out connection,  just plug the Sonica into your amp and you should be good to go.

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #93 of 520

How would you be "double amping"? The Sonica DAC is a stand alone DAC with no built in amp section. If your amp has rca or xlr inputs and a headphone out connection,  just plug the Sonica into your amp and you should be good to go.

Well, it has volume control... I assumed that was sent to the RCA/XLR outputs on the back. If not, then what does that volume knob control?

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #95 of 520

Per the Sonica features/spec page:

Sonica DAC provides both XLR balanced and RCA single-ended outputs, and the outputs can be set to volume-controlled or bypass, making it suitable for connecting to either pre-amps or power amplifiers

Gah! Thank you, I knew they would have it on the page somewhere. I honestly have no idea how I missed that. This DAC looks really tempting then. I've been looking a while for something a bit nicer, bigger, and more capable than the original Schiit Modi I have now.

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #98 of 520

Yes. It does look very, VERY tempting.

I'm waiting for reviews to come in before making a decision. I'm not sure if it would be enough of an upgrade/addition over my HA-1 DAC to drop 8 bills just on spec.

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #99 of 520

There is no remote included but there is a (free) Sonica app for iOS and Android that seems like it would be instrumental in the operation of the Sonica DAC.

Looking for wireless volume control.  Might the app do that? Will have to wait for people to test it out.  

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #101 of 520
Oh well.  This almost made it to my family room 2 channel system. Will have to look elsewhere for something with same features but with a remote.  Any suggestions?  

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #102 of 520
Thanks for pointing out the hi-res images! I got my email invitation and also promptly ordered. I think its a fair value given the quality of a DAC in a streamer. What other streamer has that DAC quality for anywhere near the price?

From the innards photo, there is clear room for improvement! Oppo still loves ancient LM317/337 voltage regulators! They didn't use the new ESS 1uV noise regulator chip for Vanalog, hopefully using ESS's older reference design using the AD797 for each channel. The 100MHz clock chip is right next to the DAC - hope its low jitter, though given how its a miniature surface mount version, maybe just lowish jitter.

The electrolytic capacitors mostly look pretty small, using the screws holding the board down for size reference. They may be audio grade, but ESR is pretty high on them.

I can't believe the Android app would require having Sonica speakers to work. Choosing music from NAS file servers and streaming services would be hard using a knob and the front panel.

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #104 of 520
@ rigo

found this on the Oppo Sonica app manual that might be of use:

I'm not sure if this only applies to use with the Oppo speakers but it seems the volume control with the app is universal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back