Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Apr 7, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #961 of 6,302
Been listening to mine since Friday - color me amazed. As expected with the big price jump I made to these, that they are the best I've been able to listen to yet. Definitely hearing the bass all the way down to the very deepest levels of my electronic stuff, the bass has a nice strong rumble to it. The detail on these is very high compared to what I'm used to, very wide sounding compared to my old Senn 449s. Sorry to not be able to describe it perfectly, or compare to much. Overall a pretty bassy can, with nice highs detail and a smooth mid. The highs seem a bit pronounced on poor recordings but never strident or anything like that.

Very happy to have picked these up - now lets hope the urge to buy more doesn't hit, hey?

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #962 of 6,302
Has anyone done an a/b with the oppo and the NAD HP50? I love the sound on the HP50, but am a little intrigued by the PM3. Especially since it might be the first planar that doesn't make my neck ache!

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #963 of 6,302
  Has anyone done an a/b with the oppo and the NAD HP50? I love the sound on the HP50, but am a little intrigued by the PM3. Especially since it might be the first planar that doesn't make my neck ache!

Earlier in the thread: Post #942.  Not an a/b, but what I thought of the two.

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #964 of 6,302

Earlier in the thread: Post #942.  Not an a/b, but what I thought of the two.

I had read that earlier. It certainly makes me want to try a direct a/b... I am lucky in that the NAD  headband works ok for me. While acceptable, it isn't the most comfortable. Thanks for your reply!

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #965 of 6,302

I had the NAD HP50.  Liked the PSB M4U-1 better, so I sold the NAD (didn't like the fit and the PSB's bass was better).  Sold the PSB, too.  The Oppo is superior to both, as far as I'm concerned.  More comfortable, more portable, better sound all the way from the deep bass to mids and the top end, etc.  I just love the planar sound, and I forget I'm listening to audio equipment and just love the music.  I guess I'm an Oppo fanboy.

How do Oppo PM-1 and PM-3 compare in terms of sound signature and quality? (disregarding the fact that one is closed/portable).

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #966 of 6,302

obsidyen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  How do Oppo PM-1 and PM-3 compare in terms of sound signature and quality? (disregarding the fact that one is closed/portable).

http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-pm-3/reviews/12713

From memory against the PM-1: I do believe that the PM-3 are actually tuned to be more neutral than the PM-1s. I remember that the PM-1s had a lush, smooth, rich texture and a lot of added warmth with very full bass notes with longer decay times (not exactly bloated, but much fuller presentation than the tight distinct lean presentation of bass notes of my HE-560s). This trait on the PM-1s was quite enjoyable, but did make it seem like you threw a warm fuzzy blanket over the recording. The PM-1s seemed to lose a bit of detail, crispness, airiness, and resolution in comparison to the other planar magnetic flagships. The resolution of the PM-1 was excellent, but the warm presentation shifted to focus more to the texture of notes rather than the individual notes and micro-details. The PM-3 do not share the PM-1's warm presentation, but rather has a cleaner, more neutral presentation. The PM-3 also does not have that extra warm texture added to their sound signature, which I personally prefer. It seems like a trade-off with that fuzzy warm rich feeling to the texture but gain a bit more spacing between notes (better attack/decay) & a better sense of detail. Hard to really comment on the exact differences in detail retrieval, micro-detail, and resolution without a direct comparison. Oppo headphones have not been known for their sound stage, and I would approximate that the sound stage of the PM-1s and PM-3 are quite close and comparable. I do remember the PM1s sounding quite intimate, and I do think the PM-3 have a similar presentation. The Oppo house sound also has a very smooth treble rather than a sharp and crisp presentation, so the PM-3 is akin to the PM-1 in that aspect as well.

Started to compare them to my PM-1 (running balanced) via the HA-1, fed from my MacBook Pro running AIF files and Audirvana 5.x. A few quick observations, comparing Oppos' apples and oranges:

The PM-3 (unbalanced, of course) requires a higher volume setting than my PM-1 (but that's running the PM-1 balanced from the HA-1, which is putting out about more wattage that way).  (Oh, I wish the PM-3 came with a balanced connector....)
The bass of the PM-1 goes far deeper, but that's expected. 
The midrange is very similar.
The PM-1's highs are slightly more extended and delicate, but that may be in part an artifact of the open vs. closed designs.

What's common to both is that I find it difficult to stop listening to the music to try and be analytical about the two cans.  Although the PM-1 is superior, it ought to be.

Search This Thread and Google are your friends
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #968 of 6,302

Based on my experience with the PM-2 loaner two weeks ago, I'd say the PM-3 is slightly less warm and has a smaller soundstage.  SQ is very similar, which is a great achievement.

EDIT - I find myself in agreement with the first quote above.  I think the second quote is a little specious as testing balanced vs SE is really not a good apples to apples comparison.

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #969 of 6,302
  Based on my experience with the PM-2 loaner two weeks ago, I'd say the PM-3 is slightly less warm and has a smaller soundstage.  SQ is very similar, which is a great achievement.

EDIT - I find myself in agreement with the first quote above.  I think the second quote is a little specious as testing balanced vs SE is really not a good apples to apples comparison.

heh! that first quote is from my review =D lol it's cool how we have very similar impressions on the vast majority of headphones that we've both tried.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #970 of 6,302
  I think the second quote is a little specious as testing balanced vs SE is really not a good apples to apples comparison.

Well, I just received the phones at that point.  And now I'm waiting for a balanced cable for the PM-3.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #971 of 6,302
  heh! that first quote is from my review =D lol it's cool how we have very similar impressions on the vast majority of headphones that we've both tried.

I agree with PM-2/1 vs. PM3.  I was fortunate enough to test them side by side at Oppo HQ, and to me they are both easy to drive, have similar Oppo signature.  Obviously PM-2 sounded better in every area, but its open so it better be, but liked pm3 very much for its main purpose of portability, isolating while sounding good.   here's my oppo trip summary: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/761386

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #972 of 6,302

Well, I just received the phones at that point.  And now I'm waiting for a balanced cable for the PM-3.

I was thinking more testing the PM-2 with a SE cable, not the other way around.  Most folks won't be using the PM-3 balanced. 

Tho I am curious to see if you hear any improvement with balanced!

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #973 of 6,302
Dunno why most people tend to find PM-3 neutral headphone. It's pretty close to that feature, but when listening to some metal it's pretty obvious that Oppo has somewhat "soft" sound, lacks agression for such genres. And bass has bad control

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #975 of 6,302

I should received my Silver Dragon balanced cable tomorrow. 

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back