Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Apr 8, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #976 of 6,302
I bought these headphones, haven't listened to em much but thinking of returning; i like the neutral sh tone, comfort, and portability, but....
a) the isolation isn't as good as i hoped...and B) i barely have it loud at all and there's so much sound leakage i feel i can't listen to them in quiet situations....
anyone else experience this ?? really nice looking headphones though...

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #977 of 6,302
Nope. for me, the isolation is very good. I used them in an airplane where I was sandwiched between 2 ladies. I've asked them if they hear anything from my phones and both said no. And that was a loud listening session for me...

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #979 of 6,302
  could i have gotten a defective set? the android cable only works out of one ear as well...the longer cable works...i bought directly from oppo.

maybe the cable isn't pushed in all the way? the pm3 has a gasket system so need to push hard until it clicks for the connection to be solid.

Nope. for me, the isolation is very good. I used them in an airplane where I was sandwiched between 2 ladies. I've asked them if they hear anything from my phones and both said no. And that was a loud listening session for me...

agreed. isolation is top notch for me too.

truereflections, are you wearing glasses with them or something?

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #982 of 6,302
I've found the isolation to be excellent. Are you sure they are plugged in all the way? I had the same problem at first. Thought there was something wrong with them.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #984 of 6,302
I'd call Oppo and talk to them about your problems.  Their service is excellent.  If they can't get you a good seal and better performance by phone or e-mail they will take them back and fix or replace them.  Since nobody else has this problem it should be fixable.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #985 of 6,302
  I'd call Oppo and talk to them about your problems.  Their service is excellent.  If they can't get you a good seal and better performance by phone or e-mail they will take them back and fix or replace them.  Since nobody else has this problem it should be fixable.

this. if nothing else, they would probably swap out the cable or headphones for you.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #986 of 6,302
How do these compare to the Hifiman HE-560s in terms of soundstage?  I know the 560s are like twice the price.  I don't intend on replacing them, just want them as my portable/work headphones.  I don't want something that feels like it's generating audio inside my ear.  That's just painful.  It's the reason I got rid of my Audeze LCD-2s and replaced them with the HE-560s, which were a massive improvement for me.  I'd be using them with a FiiO E12 Mont Blanc amp.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #987 of 6,302
How do these compare to the Hifiman HE-560s in terms of soundstage?  I know the 560s are like twice the price.  I don't intend on replacing them, just want them as my portable/work headphones.  I don't want something that feels like it's generating audio inside my ear.  That's just painful.  It's the reason I got rid of my Audeze LCD-2s and replaced them with the HE-560s, which were a massive improvement for me.  I'd be using them with a FiiO E12 Mont Blanc amp.

lol the he560 has pretty sick sound stage for an open pair of headphones. kinda unfair comparision. opwn headphones almost always have a larger soundstage. the pm3s have great sound stage for a closed pair of headphones but not best in its class like the primes or k550 (those two have the best soundstage of all closed headphones ive heard). th900 also supposedly has great sound stage but i havent heard them. note of three of those are nonportable. if just talking abt portable closed, the pm3s sound stage is quite competitive, but not going to be as good as an open

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #988 of 6,302

I actually just replaced the HE-560 with the PM-3. There's no doubt the he-560 is the more complete headphone, its main particular strengths being a large soundstage and a fuller bodied planar sound compared to something like an HD800. The PM-3s main knock for me is its a bit of the in your head small soundstage feeling. But being a closed headphone its to be expected and not really a fair comparison, but, since you asked :) that being said the PM-3 is a better value, in fact I think it's one of the best values in head-fi, I've been recommending them to people who aren't that interested in hi-fi because for them this is as good as high end gets

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #989 of 6,302
Worth pointing out while the soundstage is a bit tight the instrument separation is excellent, those terms are used interchangeably around here sometimes so just thought I'd clarify to help you make a more informed decision

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #990 of 6,302
Worth pointing out while the soundstage is a bit tight the instrument separation is excellent, those terms are used interchangeably around here sometimes so just thought I'd clarify to help you make a more informed decision

+1 ya imaging & instrument separation on the pm3s are quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back