Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Apr 4, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #931 of 6,302

Surprised me too that a pair of "stereo" headphones could produce that kind of placement effect.

Until now, I thought that was reserved for those virtual headphone surround DSPs (which, to me, make the music sound terrible but may be ok with some movies).

Problem with those is that the specific attenuations and delays we expect depend greatly on our own anatomy. With the wrong assumptions here, the effect can either seem to do nothing or make the sound worse. A simple crossfeed plugin (I use bs2b) is specifically made to move the sound just a bit forward, and has a couple of parameters to mess with, so its job is easier than an outright surround virtualizer.

If you feel like torturing your ears a bit, go here and listen to the surround effect from various dummy heads (with unfortunately the most annoying sound in the world to hear moving around your head):
http://recherche.ircam.fr/equipes/salles/listen/sounds.html

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #932 of 6,302

Problem with those is that the specific attenuations and delays we expect depend greatly on our own anatomy. With the wrong assumptions here, the effect can either seem to do nothing or make the sound worse. A simple crossfeed plugin (I use bs2b) is specifically made to move the sound just a bit forward, and has a couple of parameters to mess with, so its job is easier than an outright surround virtualizer.

I've actually been using the 3d switch on the iFi idsd micro. It sometimes creates too much crossfeed (just switch if off) but the 3d and Xbass pair pretty well with the PM-3 for some songs. Accentuates the low end and opens up the soundstage.

Apr 5, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #934 of 6,302
The he-400i aren't that forward though, right?

I personally don't think so, but from my memory they may be a touch brighter than the pm-3s. 

Apr 5, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #935 of 6,302
I personally don't think so, but from my memory they may be a touch brighter than the pm-3s. 

The pm-3's are really tempting me, especially if they a tad darker than the he-400i's.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #936 of 6,302
The PM-3 have a bit more upper mid and lower treble, the HE400i more upper treble from my testing. Hope that helps.

Apr 5, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #940 of 6,302
Has anyone owned the NAD HP50?  I want a comparison between the HP50 and these PM-3.  Thanks.

Apr 5, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #941 of 6,302

I'd like to know as well.

However, I think you'd need a single-end 3.5mm TRRS to 2.5mm TRRS cable and I haven't seen one yet.

Plus the 3.5mm end would need to be narrow enough to fit the PM-3.

Double Helix Cables can build up whatever you need.  I have one on order for the PM-3 and my HA-1 (3.5mm TRRS to 4-pin XLR).  He can build up the 3.5mm TRRS to 2.5mm TRRS.

Apr 5, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #942 of 6,302

I had the NAD HP50.  Liked the PSB M4U-1 better, so I sold the NAD (didn't like the fit and the PSB's bass was better).  Sold the PSB, too.  The Oppo is superior to both, as far as I'm concerned.  More comfortable, more portable, better sound all the way from the deep bass to mids and the top end, etc.  I just love the planar sound, and I forget I'm listening to audio equipment and just love the music.  I guess I'm an Oppo fanboy.

Apr 5, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #943 of 6,302

I had the NAD HP50.  Liked the PSB M4U-1 better, so I sold the NAD (didn't like the fit and the PSB's bass was better).  Sold the PSB, too.  The Oppo is superior to both, as far as I'm concerned.  More comfortable, more portable, better sound all the way from the deep bass to mids and the top end, etc.  I just love the planar sound, and I forget I'm listening to audio equipment and just love the music.  I guess I'm an Oppo fanboy.

That's a big nod to PM-3.  Thanks.  I'm torn about returning HP50 and trying PM-3.  Some input as portable use?  I don't plan to use either of these at home comfort listen, that's what AD900x/K712 are for, these will be strictly portable on the go.

Anyone else?

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #944 of 6,302
Really interested in these cans, they seem great. Anyone who has these or has heard them, would they be good for genres like trance, dubstep, and electro house? deadmau5 - 4x4=12 is a good album if you want to test. Thanks.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #945 of 6,302
Really interested in these cans, they seem great. Anyone who has these or has heard them, would they be good for genres like trance, dubstep, and electro house? deadmau5 - 4x4=12 is a good album if you want to test. Thanks.

yup. sounds good. those are my genres!!! hahah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back