Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jan 24, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #3,241 of 6,302
  the portable form factor, price of the pm-3 is just so hard to beat. 

unless i do go for open, there is nothing i can find that would be a match for the pm-3

even the closed el-8 the price difference is too large. 

i could go with a sennheiser maybe? LOL too many options but nothing yet i can find that betters the pm-3 (portable/closed/price)

The new Audeze might get all the boxes except for price ticked. You had originally omitted that you wanted closed and portable when you asked about HiFi Man alternatives.

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #3,242 of 6,302
  The new Audeze might get all the boxes except for price ticked. You had originally omitted that you wanted closed and portable when you asked about HiFi Man alternatives.

Yes sorry just all over the place for me at the moment. Just never though id get an Oppo. Nothing against oppo but didnt think i would get one.

I have decided on closed... i think :p 

you referring to the SINE on ear ones from audeze? seems like a great product for ios users direct to lightning

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #3,243 of 6,302
Yes sorry just all over the place for me at the moment. Just never though id get an Oppo. Nothing against oppo but didnt think i would get one.

you referring to the SINE on ear ones from audeze? seems like a great product for ios users direct to lightning

After the el8 I would wait for reviews before buying.

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #3,244 of 6,302
Yah, the EL8 are not really that well received, at least as you would expect an Audeze product to be; although some seem to love them. Somebody I know owns them so hopefully I'll get a chance to hear them for myself.

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #3,245 of 6,302

On ear. Not comfortable, generally. If you want the clamping force necessary for great sound, anyway.

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #3,246 of 6,302
Yah, the EL8 are not really that well received, at least as you would expect an Audeze product to be; although some seem to love them. Somebody I know owns them so hopefully I'll get a chance to hear them for myself.

I'd like to hear them someday too.

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #3,247 of 6,302

I look forward to hearing the new Audeze, but I have to say that after listening to the EL-8 Closed, I'm very skeptical. I love the Audeze LCD-XC, but the closed version of the EL-8 were not impressive at all. I'd much rather have the Oppo PM-3 than the EL-8C. 

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #3,248 of 6,302
I'd like to hear them someday too.

I've heard the EL-8 open-backed with the Audeze amp. It wasn't terrible, at least to my ears.

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #3,250 of 6,302
The open EL-8 was okay. The closed one did not impress at all.

Are they that significantly different? I was seriously looking at EL-8 Titaniums until someone clued me in to the PM-3. I get mine tomorrow! Unfortunately, I have to work tomorrow night, so I'll only get a limited amount of time with my Steel Blue beauties.

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #3,251 of 6,302
The open EL-8 was okay. The closed one did not impress at all.

Are they that significantly different? I was seriously looking at EL-8 Titaniums until someone clued me in to the PM-3. I get mine tomorrow! Unfortunately, I have to work tomorrow night, so I'll only get a limited amount of time with my Steel Blue beauties.

The closed EL-8 is pretty bad, IMO.

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #3,252 of 6,302
Jan 24, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #3,253 of 6,302
Jan 24, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #3,254 of 6,302

I was trying not to come right out and say that, because I didn't spend that much time with it, but yeah. That's pretty much how I felt about it. Even the open one didn't really impress at it's price point, and I was listening to the EL-8 driven by Audeze's own amp. The closed ones were really peaky and hard to listen to; the open ones just didn't engage very much.

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #3,255 of 6,302

I was trying not to come right out and say that, because I didn't spend that much time with it, but yeah. That's pretty much how I felt about it. Even the open one didn't really impress at it's price point, and I was listening to the EL-8 driven by Audeze's own amp. The closed ones were really peaky and hard to listen to; the open ones just didn't engage very much.

I absolutely agree, 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back