Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Mar 31, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #1,321 of 2,563
  Problem with that: inflation. $150 today is the equivalent of roughly $500 in 1978. 

Plus we already have one. Fostex T50RP.

True but you can't exactly compare the two as it is a bit unjustified. Manufacturers can do an ortho, i.e something that sounds good for cheap and looks good to boot. The problem is they either don't want to because they don't have the expertise or equipment to do so in the field of planar magnetic technology or they just can't justify it because there isn't enough demand and even more so why bother with something less expensive when you know customers are paying more for something else, they are making ends meet with $ anyway.

The T50RP is a piece of crap, until you get it properly modded and measured then you'd be looking at over double it's price easily, but what about time and effort? Those things are priceless. It's butt ugly as well. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #1,323 of 2,563

True but you can't exactly compare the two as it is a bit unjustified. Manufacturers can do an ortho, i.e something that sounds good for cheap and looks good to boot. The problem is they either don't want to because they don't have the expertise or equipment to do so in the field of planar magnetic technology or they just can't justify it because there isn't enough demand and even more so why bother with something less expensive when you know customers are paying more for something else, they are making ends meet with $ anyway.

The T50RP is a piece of crap, until you get it properly modded and measured then you'd be looking at over double it's price easily, but what about time and effort? Those things are priceless. It's butt ugly as well. 

I wouldn't call the stock 50 a POC exactly. It's just not up to snuff. Akin the the ESP 950 with the stock amp. It'll get you through, but you'll never know just how GOOD they can be.

I'm going to get blasted for this again. BUT a few years back a Yamaho rep claimed they could go back into production for about 50 grand worth of internal startup resources. Now that makes you think.

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #1,324 of 2,563
  Perhaps, but I highly doubt that their first one will be it.

So they are spending all this time and effort designing a compromised piece of garbage so they can bring the good one out later on?

Originally Posted by DefQon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The T50RP is a piece of crap, until you get it properly modded

nonsense..

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #1,326 of 2,563
  T50RP is quite good for the price .... and it scales up like crazy with mods

Just like the TH600 is a "bargain", and the ATH-M50 is "the best price-performance there is".

I'm so sick of this garbage that I don't even want to take the time to explain why you're wrong and why the entire modern audio industry is a steaming pile of ****.

And yes DefQon, I mentioned the T50RP ironically. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #1,327 of 2,563
I contacted Oppo a few days ago and this is what they told me:

We anticipate the HA-1 and the PM-1 products to be released by the end of April, so you should expect some kind of announcement within the coming weeks.

We do not have a price yet, as we are still finalizing the internal and external design of these products. But they will be priced comfortably to reflect their build quality as well as market forces.

Thanks for posting this...this is exactly what I (obviously) suspected, that it was a design issue. That's a huge red flag for me, so as much as I would love a 2nd ortho in my collection I think I'll continue to remain very happy with my current one and wait to see if there are any QC issues/disasters with the PM-1. I was really hoping it was a supplier problem or something...disappointed to see they still haven't finalized the design. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #1,328 of 2,563
Now I want to hear how bad the T50RP sounds like stock...

I'm a sucker for good 'budget' cans, and I have an inkling that the T50RP probanly sounds real nice even stock. After all, why the hell would anyone want to mod a turd? It must've shown that it was capable of SOMETHING.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #1,329 of 2,563
the T50RP probably sounds real nice even stock.

Only in the bizzaro world
images

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #1,330 of 2,563
Now I want to hear how bad the T50RP sounds like stock...

I'm a sucker for good 'budget' cans, and I have an inkling that the T50RP probanly sounds real nice even stock. After all, why the hell would anyone want to mod a turd? It must've shown that it was capable of SOMETHING.

It is a fine headphone for what it was designed for.....an essentially neutral, honest portrayal of the balance on recordings, for studio cats.

But unfortunately, some people judge things by what they cost....if the stock Fostex cost $1000, then in their minds it would compete with the HE-6
rolleyes.gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,331 of 2,563
  Just like the TH600 is a "bargain", and the ATH-M50 is "the best price-performance there is".

I'm so sick of this garbage that I don't even want to take the time to explain why you're wrong and why the entire modern audio industry is a steaming pile of ****.

And yes DefQon, I mentioned the T50RP ironically. 

this is in reference to what I'm lost

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #1,333 of 2,563
It's pretty amazing where conversations can lead when there's nothing of value to discuss.

And nah, I'm not mad. Just sick of blowing off steam.

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #1,334 of 2,563
You're the one saying that the first oppo headphone will be a flop WITHOUT EVEN HEARING IT. You seem to know how things sound based on reviews ,and graphs. Even the reviewers say take the reviews with a "grain if salt".

You don't see me posting that the new Hifiman He-400i will be a flop just because there taking longer to change the drivers.

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #1,335 of 2,563
Thread is going nowhere fast. Should probably be locked until any kind of actual substantial news about the PM-1 is released.

Lets be the judge once the damn thing turns up, for all we know it could get cancelled, or come out and be one of the "better" headphones at whatever X price is appears at. You guess as is good as mine as we have no information at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back