Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Mar 31, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #1,306 of 2,563
I contacted Oppo a few days ago and this is what they told me:

We anticipate the HA-1 and the PM-1 products to be released by the end of April, so you should expect some kind of announcement within the coming weeks.

We do not have a price yet, as we are still finalizing the internal and external design of these products. But they will be priced comfortably to reflect their build quality as well as market forces.

This market force wants a 300 dollar ortho
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #1,307 of 2,563
I contacted Oppo a few days ago and this is what they told me:

We anticipate the HA-1 and the PM-1 products to be released by the end of April, so you should expect some kind of announcement within the coming weeks..

The announcement will be the year
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #1,308 of 2,563

The announcement will be the year
biggrin.gif

This reminds me of the Muramasa VIII launch a little, actually. Granted, Oppo is a larger company, but FAD wasn't very communicative about dates and eventually a few examples sort of got into people's hands without a big sales announcement. Of course, the VIII was almost immediately canceled and I hope that doesn't happen to the PM-1, but the whole launch delay and lack of communication hurt FAD's initial sales significantly. Hopefully Oppo means it when they say there will be an announcement about sales, instead of a purchase page just going up sometime without any word from the manufacturer.

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #1,309 of 2,563
I do think Oppo will eventually come through with a terrific headphone.

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #1,312 of 2,563
If your comment about missing is in regards to the hifiman headphones then I must inform you that the bike one in book that needed modded was the he400. The other two are perfectly fine without the mods but there's people that like tinkering with things and have a lot of time on their hands. However it's all subjective as Dr. Fang made the headphones sound exactly like he wanted them to sound.

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #1,315 of 2,563

This market force wants a 300 dollar ortho
biggrin.gif

No what we need is a $100-250 ortho. If the big companies in the 70-80's could do it with dated technology I don't see why they can't nowadays. I think we should give Joe at JPS a nudge in the direction to make a cheap planar headphone.

This reminds me of the Muramasa VIII launch a little, actually. Granted, Oppo is a larger company, but FAD wasn't very communicative about dates and eventually a few examples sort of got into people's hands without a big sales announcement. 

Well the problem with FAD (besides there overgrossly expensive products) was the company was offering products more niche then niche itself. Think Goldmund but headphones.

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #1,316 of 2,563
  No what we need is a $100-250 ortho. If the big companies in the 70-80's could do it with dated technology I don't see why they can't nowadays. I think we should give Joe at JPS a nudge in the direction to make a cheap planar headphone.

Well the problem with FAD (besides there overgrossly expensive products) was the company was offering products more niche then niche itself. Think Goldmund but headphones.

Don't have to think.

For 12 grand they can be yours!

http://cybwiz.blogspot.ca/2013/04/goldmund-hp-1-planar-magnetic-headphone.html

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #1,318 of 2,563
  I do think Oppo will eventually come through with a terrific headphone.

Perhaps, but I highly doubt that their first one will be it.

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #1,319 of 2,563

Problem with that: inflation. $150 today is the equivalent of roughly $500 in 1978. 

Plus we already have one. Fostex T50RP.

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #1,320 of 2,563
  Problem with that: inflation. $150 today is the equivalent of roughly $500 in 1978. 

Plus we already have one. Fostex T50RP.

+1 exactly what i was gonna say

Users who are viewing this thread

Back