Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Oct 13, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #17 of 2,563
I know Oppo from smartphones, not cd/blu-ray players lol.
Thought the N1 was overrated, especially with the tilting 13MP camera.

They have good phones though, just saying the N1 over hyped.

I hope this headphone is not all hype, as it looks really classy.  Certainly a breath of fresh air

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #19 of 2,563
  Like `em.  Oppo are also biggish in smart phones : they were the first to bring full 1080p to a 5 inch device, before HTC.  I saw the units in Bangkok about 6 months ago; they looked great but I had never heard of them, and now I`m hearing a lot about them.  I have a suspicion the name is supposed to sound like `Apple` in Chinese, but I won`t hold it against them if the headphones are good !

I've read that Oppo was taken from the word "opportunity". This company is also well known in other regions like Russia as BBK Electronics. So it is a pretty big company which means that they can produce in big quantity at affordable prices.

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #22 of 2,563
That's extremely surprising...

I mostly know Oppo from their smartphones as I am an owner of an Oppo Find 5 phone and I also heard good things about their players but hearing them entering the headphone market and straight to a planar driver is beyond what I would thought of Oppo.

In terms of hardware and design, they do think mostly out of the box but this, this is making my mind blow.

I would definitively want to hear it.

Oct 13, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #26 of 2,563
Oct 13, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #28 of 2,563
Ooh, pretty!

PRICE, PEOPLE, PRICE. Lol.

I kind of would want to move back towards planars...

Oct 13, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #29 of 2,563
Oppo Digital's DVD and Blu-ray players are the best you can buy, IMHO. I have their first Blu-ray player, the BDP-83, in my home theater, which is several years old and still is going strong. They have other models with high-end DACs built in.

Call me intriguted on this new headphone offering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back