Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Apr 22, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #1,651 of 2,563
  Review by Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity out
OPPO PM-1 Planar Magnetic Over-the-Ear Headphones
Written by John E. Johnson, Jr.
Published on 21 April 2014

It is interesting that the second-harmonic in the 1kHz distortion measurement is higher than the third-harmonic.  Seems to fit what Tyll said in his post a few pages back.   Quoting him:

"For example, if the distortion is even-order, it will be much less disturbing than if it is odd-order."  

Has anyone who has a PM-1 tried it with tube amplification?  

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #1,653 of 2,563
  It is interesting that the second-harmonic in the 1kHz distortion measurement is higher than the third-harmonic.  Seems to fit what Tyll said in his post a few pages back.   Quoting him: "For example, if the distortion is even-order, it will be much less disturbing than if it is odd-order."  

It's also in a very narrow frequency range and only really present at high volumes.

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #1,655 of 2,563
  It is interesting that the second-harmonic in the 1kHz distortion measurement is higher than the third-harmonic.  Seems to fit what Tyll said in his post a few pages back.   Quoting him:

"For example, if the distortion is even-order, it will be much less disturbing than if it is odd-order."  

Has anyone who has a PM-1 tried it with tube amplification?  

The impressions I wrote earlier were all with my Pinnacle amp (with tubes).

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #1,657 of 2,563
People here are saying shutt up and stop saying bad thing about pm1 with measurement.

Basically  Tyll and other guy who brought up the measurement are saying similar things

and now everyone is so respectful~~LOL

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #1,658 of 2,563
People here are saying shutt up and stop saying bad thing about pm1 with measurement.

Basically  Tyll and other guy who brought up the measurement are saying similar things

and now everyone is so respectful~~LOL

The problem is that people look into measurements and making their opinion based on them without trying headphones first

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #1,659 of 2,563
The problem is that people look into measurements and making their opinion based on them without trying headphones first

I think it's more than that, specific to the case of the Oppo PM1.

There is a stigma around a "newcomer" headphone brand that according to early impressions are literally the best thing ever, crushing the established top headphones. If you put yourself in the shoes of HD800 or LCD2 etc owners who visit this thread and see people discussing how PM1s are better, you'll quickly see why people are wary and/or defensive.

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #1,660 of 2,563

The real problem is that people are basing their opinion on measurements without having a clue what those measurements mean. I can look at those graphs and know exactly what to expect. But most people don't know what a dB is or which frequencies are important and which aren't.

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #1,662 of 2,563

The real problem is that people are basing their opinion on measurements without having a clue what those measurements mean. I can look at those graphs and know exactly what to expect. But most people don't know what a dB is or which frequencies are important and which aren't.

That may be true of the general population, but certainly not of most head-fi posters and not those of us looking to spend $1100 on a new headphone. 

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #1,663 of 2,563
You give our little corner of the web too much credit. I see people on HeadFi making mountains out of molehills every single day in every single thread. There is more knowledge of specs than there is understanding of the context specs fit within. People think that inaudible frequencies are important and distortion lower than the lowest sound floor in a quiet library is significant. How many dB variation from flat is still flat? Very few seem to know. The thresholds of human perceptiion are never applied to these graphs except in the most extreme cases.

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #1,664 of 2,563
I agree with bigshot. I have been in Headfi for a few years already and I have been into Hi-Fi equipment for over 30 years and I do not have a clue on how to interpret those frequency charts and to be honest I don't care to know because we hear different, we interpret things different and we have different tastes. A headphone could be technically perfect and produce a perfect frequency response chart but maybe I am too sensitive to certain frequencies and I might not like it. That does not mean it is not perfect or not good. It just means it is not for me. That is why IMO there is nothing better than listen and experience it yourself to make a comment or decision which still is relative to you only.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 23, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #1,665 of 2,563
Well here is another spec that most people here aren't aware of... For people with normal human hearing (not damaged), sound is pretty much the same for everyone. I've seen charts that measure the sensitivity to specific frequencies on multiple people, and they don't vary more than 4 or 5dB. Listening to music, a difference like that would be barely noticeable.

Good sound is good sound. If something has a flat response, low distortion, a low noise floor and a wide dynamic range, it's high fidelity sound and it will sound natural to everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back