Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Apr 23, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #1,681 of 2,563
Your wish is my command! I'm interested to see what the answers to this are too.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/715797/everybody-has-different-ears-but-how-different

You rocketh, my friend.  See you there!

Apr 23, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #1,682 of 2,563
Wait? Weren't you the guy who said the first harmonic is @ 1.5x the natural frequency? :etysmile:  

II looked that up the other day and figured it out... I had mixed up harmonics and overtones in my head. The first overtone of quite a few musical instruments (particularly percussion and brass) fall ahead of the first harmonic. I often use cymbals as an example of which harmonics are important and which aren't, and the first overtone of those fall around 1.5 times the fundamental.

Apr 23, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #1,683 of 2,563

Perfection for old people with hearing deficiencies in the upper range, you mean?

Old people have hearing deficiencies in the upper range? Really? Midrange or treble? Or maybe young people have hearing deficiencies across the entire spectrum...
rolleyes.gif

Apr 23, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #1,684 of 2,563
Old people have hearing deficiencies in the upper range? Really? Midrange or treble? Or maybe young people have hearing deficiencies across the entire spectrum...:rolleyes:

Or maybe you're overly defensive :rolleyes:

Oh and older people do have hearing deficiencies in the treble region...

Apr 23, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #1,685 of 2,563
Um im not sure what big shot is talking about but if u drop 5 db in the 14k + range i can totally hear the difference. Im not saying the song is very different but I can hear a definite cliff at the high frequencies. It also effects ALL IEM(since iems don't normally extend that far) im sure a significant roll off at 12.5k is a very big deal... especially at this price  

Apr 23, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #1,686 of 2,563
Or maybe you're overly defensive
rolleyes.gif

Amen.

Seriously bigshot, I appreciate the reporting work you've done on this thread - and for the PM1 in general -  don't get me wrong.
I just don't want to hear about a so-called "perfect" headphone, especially when this one has a treble response that's more rolled-off than a LCD-3 (most people say it, not only the graphs). It is just deceptive for people who buy blind based on readings. It is not how it should be, it is how you like it to be. I don't.
I hope that, at this price point, people considering the buy already have experience and know how to deal with the taste/earing abilities/preferences/incentive differences that the reviewers might have.

Apr 23, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #1,688 of 2,563

Nope, you're wrong. Everyone with normal hearing for their age can hear treble. People over 50 generally lose the ability to hear above 16 or 17kHz... the last three or four notes in the top octave. There is nothing up there to speak of in recorded music except noise.

By the way, I miscounted before when I said that human hearing spanned 7 octaves. It covers 10. This chart is divided roughly by octave. Treble occupies three octaves, all of which are below 10.2kHz

Apr 23, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #1,689 of 2,563
  Um im not sure what big shot is talking about but if u drop 5 db in the 14k + range i can totally hear the difference. Im not saying the song is very different but I can hear a definite cliff at the high frequencies. It also effects ALL IEM(since iems don't normally extend that far) im sure a significant roll off at 12.5k is a very big deal... especially at this price  

What are you using to do your rolloffs? If you are using the Apple EQ, it has tremendous spill and is very inaccurate.

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #1,690 of 2,563

People over 50 generally lose the ability to hear above 16 or 17kHz... the last three or four notes in the top octave. There is nothing up there to speak of in recorded music except noise.

This is not correct. Look up Presbycusis. 

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #1,691 of 2,563
I've been using the PM-1 for months with no change in the sound at all. Even from sample to sample there is very little difference.

If you folks want a headphone that meets the standards of "perfection"... audibly flat response, inaudible levels of distortion, plenty of dynamics... the PM-1s are it. I would bet that you could take a good digital EQ and make them sound pretty much like any other brand or model of headphone at normal listening volumes.

In theory, there are a million different aspects of sound reproduction. But all aspects are not created equal. Frequencies are what we actually hear. Balancing them properly is the lion's share of the battle. Lousy headphones might have problems with distortion, but once you reach a certain quality level, distortion isn't an issue any more. The importance of timing issues are greatly exaggerated. And although there might be differences in dynamics, most headphones are liable to be worse in that regard than the PM-1s, not better.

Specs are a useful way of getting an idea of how something sounds, particularly the frequency response curve. But you have to know how to read it, and the specs have to have been measured fairly. A lot of manufacturers cheat their specs in one way or another.

If your using a transformer connected tube out? An SET has truncated top and bottom, can't charge an ortho, the design is limited! Your not able to push an ortho to notice a change anywhere at anytime.

A freq response graph? An ear is much different, and far more sensitive than typical mic's. The amp used, the microphone used, the centering of the diaphragm, the program used on the computer..... every variable alters the response. They become meaningless when you compare the same phone to everyone else making a response curve? They can differ wildly...... Moral of the story? They are worthless!

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #1,692 of 2,563
Or maybe you're overly defensive
rolleyes.gif

No, not unless they've abused their hearing or their name is Pete Townshend.

Clemmaster said:

Seriously bigshot, I appreciate the reporting work you've done on this thread - and for the PM1 in general -  don't get me wrong.
I just don't want to hear about a so-called "perfect" headphone, especially when this one has a treble response that's more rolled-off than a LCD-3 (most people say it, not only the graphs). It is just deceptive for people who buy blind based on readings. It is not how it should be, it is how you like it to be. I don't.

If you haven't heard it or don't own it (apparently you don't own anything) or have no intention of buying it anyway, and are only basing your comments on other people's opinions, graphs or mere speculation.....please do us all a favour and step away and let people who are actually in the know try and help some of the others who may be seriously interested in the PM-1.

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #1,693 of 2,563

No, not unless they've abused their hearing or their name is Pete Townshend.

Exactly. I'm 42 and I can still hear to about 18.5kHz in both ears...take care of your ears and they'll take care of you. 
smile.gif

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #1,694 of 2,563
Apr 24, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #1,695 of 2,563
If you haven't heard it or don't own it (apparently you don't own anything) or have no intention of buying it anyway, and are only basing your comments on other people's opinions, graphs or mere speculation.....please do us all a favour and step away and let people who are actually in the know try and help some of the others who may be seriously interested in the PM-1.

People should be free to discuss the graphs too. If there's a discrepancy between what listeners are hearing and the measurements, it's worthy of discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back