Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Apr 20, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #1,636 of 2,563
According to this document, the X-curve is used to translate what the sound engineer hears in his near-field setup to the expected result in a larger theater room. It is not an equalization or band-pass filtering, it is a calibration curve.

The mixing stages for feature films at Parmount that I've been in are the size of mall theaters. They don't use nearfield monitors. It's a full theatrical sound installation. Maybe some places work differently.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #1,637 of 2,563
  As a person that works professionally in sound, I was surprised to learn the the X-Curve is still the "law of the land" when it comes to outputting DCP or final film sound. The article may have been written some years in the past, but that doesn't mean that the standard has changed. It hasn't. Every dub stage in Hollywood mixes and outputs the soundtrack using the X-Curve. And that curve does indeed, rolloff the high frequency information above 10 kHz by 6 dB per octave (although it does vary slightly for smaller spaces). You can read Tomlinson Holman's article on the  history of the X-Curve or check out a pdf on the topic at http://www.hps4000.com/pages/special/Dolby_The%20X-Curve.pdf.

The fact remains that high-resolution audio isn't happening at the movies. The idea behind the X-Curve was to provide interchangeability and consistency from production to playback. It seems it has accomplished that goal and no one that I'm in touch with is advocating for anything else.

Which explains the loss of top-end harmonics in the source material for multichannel-audio reviews.  Obviously, neither Oppo® nor any other audio-hardware manufacturer can get past a multichannel-audio mastering standard posted by the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (was this confirmed by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, as Dr. AIX reckons the case to be?), so the PM-1's demonstrated performance is apparently adequate for this specific situation.

I actually like to do my own music and may be better able to audition the PM-1 with my own recordings, rather than commercial tracks rolled off at the Nyquist frequencies thereof (meaning 16max kHz, given a 48max kHz sample rate); many of the best sound cards and chips can handle a sample frequency of 192 kHz, meaning a Nyquist frequency of 64 kHz - enough treble headroom for an accurate audition of a new headphone or speaker.

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #1,638 of 2,563
Auditioning the inaudible.

Apr 21, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #1,639 of 2,563
  I actually like to do my own music and may be better able to audition the PM-1 with my own recordings, rather than commercial tracks rolled off at the Nyquist frequencies thereof (meaning 16max kHz, given a 48max kHz sample rate); many of the best sound cards and chips can handle a sample frequency of 192 kHz, meaning a Nyquist frequency of 64 kHz - enough treble headroom for an accurate audition of a new headphone or speaker.

Nyquist frequency is half the sampling rate so that would be 24kHz for 48kHz. Good luck trying to hear that.

Apr 21, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #1,640 of 2,563
Topic -- before we are derailed again. 
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #1,642 of 2,563
  What about the PM-2? Does anybody know if they will share the same sound signature?
I think I can live without the box and the stand.
https://www.oppodigital.com/future/PM-2_Planar_Magnetic_Headphones.aspx

I'd like to know if they come with velour pads because I'm not a fan of pleather.

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #1,643 of 2,563
They come with both types of pads. They're very easy to swap out too.

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #1,646 of 2,563
In the beta test, one of the folks from Oppo mentioned that certain parts of the frame of the headphones were very expensive to machine. In one of the Betas they sent me, some parts in the cup pivot were made of plastic instead of metal. It may be that they save money on things like that with the PM-2s.

Apr 21, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #1,647 of 2,563
They come with both types of pads. They're very easy to swap out too.

I thought the PM-2 would only ship with one set of pads - the synthetic ones that look exactly like the lambskin until you inspect them closely and discover they lack the grain (and smell) of the the leather pads.  

The three types of pads are all interchangeable between the PM-1 and PM-2.  

It's all subject to change, however, so please take my current understanding with a grain of salt.  

Apr 21, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #1,648 of 2,563
Haven't seen the PM-2s. Everything about them is speculation. I'd imagine that you could buy velour pads from Oppo if they don't come with them though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back