ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 9, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #12,496 of 16,326
A DPX1A, OPPO HA2 or bi directional otg cable? :)

Well, hell. Now I want one...

I will order this one and see. The ends look the same and don't appear to have host/client markings.

StarTech.com 8" M/M, USB OTG Mobile Device Adapter Cable (UUUSBOTG8IN) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018M8YEX0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_uiZsybWXZC24C

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #12,497 of 16,326
  After updating to firmware version 1.37 I lost root. After much searching I eventually gave Kingoroot a go and after several attempts it worked. Until I rebooted. Now I have a unit that stays at the Android logo and will not proceed any further. I am unable to enter fastboot and adb will not work.
My pc recognises it is being plugged in/out as I get the usb notification sounds but it is not recognised in device manager .
Any suggestions please?
Thanks
Chris

Did you try following the steps in this post - http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/11130#post_12834357

Also, when the DP-X1 is powered OFF, and then you press and hold the Power and FWD buttons until the Penguin appears, does it continue to boot into a Recovery Mode?

Take Care,
David Baldock

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #12,498 of 16,326

Did you try following the steps in this post - http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/11130#post_12834357

Also, when the DP-X1 is powered OFF, and then you press and hold the Power and FWD buttons until the Penguin appears, does it continue to boot into a Recovery Mode?

Take Care,
David Baldock

​I did try to follow the post but no matter what I did I could not get ADB or Fastboot to recognise the DP-X1. I tried reinstalling drivers, deleting drivers etc but nothing. When I power + rw I get the penguin and pwr+ fwd gives me the penguin, then very briefly the Android with a red cross (I think because it is almost a flash on the screen) followed by the Recovery mode. Once in recovery I have tried factory reset, wiping cache, apply update from sd (nothing mounts so cannot find anything to flash), apply update via ADB (but unit is not recognised), etc etc. Reboot to bootloader just takes me back to the penguin but then I am stuck again.

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #12,499 of 16,326

​I did try to follow the post but no matter what I did I could not get ADB or Fastboot to recognise the DP-X1. I tried reinstalling drivers, deleting drivers etc but nothing. When I power + rw I get the penguin and pwr+ fwd gives me the penguin, then very briefly the Android with a red cross (I think because it is almost a flash on the screen) followed by the Recovery mode. Once in recovery I have tried factory reset, wiping cache, apply update from sd (nothing mounts so cannot find anything to flash), apply update via ADB (but unit is not recognised), etc etc. Reboot to bootloader just takes me back to the penguin but then I am stuck again.

May i know what OS you use in your PC or laptop?
because, i experienced similar experience to this. i tried to connect my DP-X1 in fastboot mode and my windows 10 couldn't recognize it at all, i have tried to uninstall the driver from device manager, install some universal fastboot adb driver i got from somewhere in the web but still no avail.

in the end i use my friend macbook, and install fastboot and adb on it, and it just detect the DP-X1 flawlessly i don't know what's wrong with my windows. in the end i managed to install TWRP and root my device

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #12,500 of 16,326

May i know what OS you use in your PC or laptop?
because, i experienced similar experience to this. i tried to connect my DP-X1 in fastboot mode and my windows 10 couldn't recognize it at all, i have tried to uninstall the driver from device manager, install some universal fastboot adb driver i got from somewhere in the web but still no avail.

in the end i use my friend macbook, and install fastboot and adb on it, and it just detect the DP-X1 flawlessly i don't know what's wrong with my windows. in the end i managed to install TWRP and root my device

Its Win10 64bit. I am not 100% certain but I think I may have initially rooted using my old pc.
Cheers
Chris

Dec 10, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #12,501 of 16,326

Its Win10 64bit. I am not 100% certain but I think I may have initially rooted using my old pc.
Cheers
Chris

i'm also using win10 64bit , in my case, when the DP-X1 is in the fastboot mode (penguin screen) my pc only detects it as "Android" in the device manager with yellow exclamation beside it. maybe you could try with different PC and see if it could detect the DP-X1 in the fastboot mode, good luck

Dec 10, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #12,506 of 16,326

I don't even know what that is.  So no I do not plan to do any modifications to it.  Not being rude.  If it sounds rude that is not my intention.   I don't need to root do I and does it void the DPX1 warranty?

if you don't need root and modifying then you don't have to worry about what OS you are using. in terms of transferring data to and from onkyo, my windows 10 works perfectly. and, in my opinion for normal use as a DAP dp-x1 is functioning perfectly even without root (for me at least)

Dec 10, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #12,507 of 16,326

I don't even know what that is.  So no I do not plan to do any modifications to it.  Not being rude.  If it sounds rude that is not my intention.   I don't need to root do I and does it void the DPX1 warranty?

I don't believe it will void any Hardware warranty.

If you want to run the Audio Signal Processing app Viper4Android (which allows you to EQ nearly any music & video app that plays on the DP-X1), you have to root the device with SuperSU, and disable the SELinux enforcing policy for the mediaserver.  (Ref: http://androiding.how/how-to-fix-viper4android-selinux-policy-issues-on-lollipop/ )

Rooting also allow you to install the Xposed Framework, which has many modules, including ones to block Ads on SoundCloud & YouTube, a module to enable "Skips" in Spotify, and a module that enables YouTube to continue playing in the background & when the screen is off.  I also use a module which displays "Seconds" on the clock in the Status Bar.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Dec 10, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #12,508 of 16,326
regarding the warranty i don't know about onkyo policy regarding rooting , but i suppose it may void your warranty. mine have no warranty from the start (the previous owner lost the warranty card and receipt) and i have some experience doing this with some of the android phone so i went ahead and have fun with it

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #12,509 of 16,326
Please don't ask me what I did differently (because I don't know) but my DP-X1 finally decided to accept the recovery install commands from my PC and I have managed to reinstall TWRP and my backup. On rebooting I am told an update is available so before installing Super User I have downloaded it. When I try to install my unit reboots into TWRP and the update does not install. After rebooting again my unit says it is up to date but is still on 1.30.8. Where has the update file been downloaded to and is there any way of installing it via TWRP?
Thank you for your help so far.
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back