ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 10, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #12,511 of 16,326
I was in Tokyo for a family vacation and managed to visit e-earphone. The place was amazing - it was the largest and most well stocked headfi shop I've ever been. Spent couple of hours just testing the Campfires and FitEar IEMs. Not many places have stocks let alone test units.

Anyway, bought the Onkyo DP-X1 A there. It was still fairly new. I was told stocks came in only a couple of weeks ago. A very popular model in Japan - sales of the DP X1 :did well.

The gem feature was the balanced output. I bought the Orb Clear Force 2.5mm TRRS cable for my FitEar 335. Beautiful sound and a clear upgrade from my IPHone/Dragonfly and even the Mojo/Hugo. The balance adds the essential 3D holographic pop to the music. I would highly recommend to use the balanced out if you do have the unit. I also have the Sony ZX 2 and I believe the Onkyo trumps it on balanced out. A real bonus when I was told E-earphone was running a promotion where you get a free Dignis Italian made leather case. I chose the Olive Color and it was beautiful and feels high quality on touch.

The other things I love about the Onkyo are:

- very fast UI. Unlike the Sony ZX2
- Long battery life. Much longer than the Sony even on standby mode with Wifi on.
- very light compared to the ZX2. Don't mind carrying this for my business travels.
- uses micro USB for charging. I hated the proprietary WM charging cables of Sony. Have to carry extra cables for it
- 2 micro SD card to boost total capacity to 460gb or therabout. Much better than the ZX2 or the Iphone

One of my best buys from the Japan trip!

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #12,512 of 16,326
Congrats on your new purchase. I have never tried the ZX2 but heard many times that one of its strong points is the battery life.

Quote:
I was in Tokyo for a family vacation and managed to visit e-earphone. The place was amazing - it was the largest and most well stocked headfi shop I've ever been. Spent couple of hours just testing the Campfires and FitEar IEMs. Not many places have stocks let alone test units.

Anyway, bought the Onkyo DP-X1 A there. It was still fairly new. I was told stocks came in only a couple of weeks ago. A very popular model in Japan - sales of the DP X1 :did well.

The gem feature was the balanced output. I bought the Orb Clear Force 2.5mm TRRS cable for my FitEar 335. Beautiful sound and a clear upgrade from my IPHone/Dragonfly and even the Mojo/Hugo. The balance adds the essential 3D holographic pop to the music. I would highly recommend to use the balanced out if you do have the unit. I also have the Sony ZX 2 and I believe the Onkyo trumps it on balanced out. A real bonus when I was told E-earphone was running a promotion where you get a free Dignis Italian made leather case. I chose the Olive Color and it was beautiful and feels high quality on touch.

- Long battery life. Much longer than the Sony even on standby mode with Wifi on.
- very light compared to the ZX2. Don't mind carrying this for my business travels.
- uses micro USB for charging. I hated the proprietary WM charging cables of Sony. Have to carry extra cables for it
- 2 micro SD card to boost total capacity to 460gb or therabout. Much better than the ZX2 or the Iphone

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #12,513 of 16,326
I want to share my experience with balanced cable. I received my balanced cable from SurfCable two days ago and it seemed to sound just as singled end. But now, it sounds more spacious and detailed. From now on, i must believed in the existence of the thing called cable burn-in.

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #12,514 of 16,326
Tried this Onkyo again today, not my type of sound signature sounds too artificial and edgy to my ears.
This is just my impression please don't bash me. :fearful:

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #12,517 of 16,326
When you use the balanced out battery life will be shortened, it will use 2 DAC/ 2Amp at the same time. However, the SQ benefit is worth it. The single end output is nothing out of ordinary.

Dec 10, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #12,518 of 16,326
Tried this Onkyo again today, not my type of sound signature sounds too artificial and edgy to my ears.

i could get your point, many my friends also says the dp-x1 sounds is too edgy, or "digital" , i'm myself a previous owner of opus #1 , while it have this smooth sound and really natural midrange, i feel the whole presentation lacks impact and edge. after i tried DP-X1 it doesn't take long for me to switch. still sometimes i missed the vocal opus can deliver that i cannot find in DP-X1 IMO. in the end it goes back to preferences of sound.

Quote:

hey glad to see you are pleased with your purchase, indeed e-earphone is one of the biggest and arguably the best store for portable audio i have bought from e-earphone several times and the service is excellent. the DP-X1A should have the jack fix and upgraded internal component , so great choice on that one.

about ZX-2 indeed i have also heard about it's great battery life. but i think power-wise it is still falls behind onkyo. i had auditioned ZX2 once before, unfortunately the sound is just not up my taste

Dec 10, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #12,519 of 16,326
I came from Fiio X5 II, and the DP-X1 is definitely different. I would say, brighter, expanded sound stage and more detailed. But I like it.
And i think how it sounds depends greatly on which headphones are paired with.

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #12,521 of 16,326
I don't typically care about a dap's sound signature as I usually tune the sound by using headphones or iems with a sound signature I like.  I do not like V shaped sound.  Is the DPX1 V shaped?

Buddy, no offence but I think it's time to move on - I don't think you'll ever be satisfied.

I love my DP-X1 - as others do. With countless EQ options available, I suspect the sound on that unit can be shaped to please almost anyone.

IMHO, when I notice people mercilessly nitpicking, they lose focus and forget about the experience...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #12,522 of 16,326
I don't use wifi on DP-X1, either. And it lasts about 10 to 12 hours depending on music formats (mostly FLAC 16/44 and some higher bit/rate or DSD). How's about your ZX2?

That sounds about right when you turn off wifi on Onkyo and other Apps in the background that you don't need in android setting. My Zx2 last for about 20-24 hours on FLAC and some DSD too.

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #12,523 of 16,326

deadhorse.gif
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back