ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 1, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #6,016 of 16,326
Hi Caigin. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Do bear in mind that for every keyboard warrior who feels he has to charge into battle to defend his chosen clan there are probably a hundred who read a post and think "fair enough" but don't bother to post.
Regarding the Savant, there was a huge fuss on the Noble thread when it was discovered that there are only a couple of drivers in there. I don't quite get the problem. I buy my gear for how it sounds. I don't really care if there is only one unicorn fart inside my K10's. (There isn't, I checked,my K10's are translucent!)
I think that keeping the driver count secret was a genuine attempt by Noble to counter the "driver warz" mentality and get people to judge them on sound alone. This rather backfired but as Noble say, they zig where others zag.
I take your point about form factor but that's all to do with Noble's business decisions IMHO.
I'm interested to read what you say about the Pleune D. You really reckon it is that good?
That Dignis case looks the nuts BTW.
Enjoy your music. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Exactly it's Noble's right. It's their business decision. And just like Astell & Kern, when it seems I get a feeling of cash cow milking, I'll voice my concern. How much can I expect to pay for an AK with finally good battery? 10K ? Ridiculous.

My personal philosophy/rationale when it comes to headfi is this:
If I plan to use outside, it has to be
A: portable, easily pocketable.
B: gotta have good isolation, I ain't gonna cause myself deafness by increasing volume to cope with outside noise/talking. I like listening to lower volume and still have the outside cutoff, that's why I prefer CIEMs.  
C: no leaking. I abhor when I hear earbud users in public transports from 5m across. I don't want to be disrespectful myself (hence why I don't take my Fiio EX-1 outside and keep it for sleep+workouts at home).
If I'm at home, A B C is not as important anymore. Speakers all the way, and if I don't want to annoy those in the house I go headphone.
Headphones lose out in outside scenario. Great SQ but too big, where do you put them when you don't use them? I can't leave them on my neck, not with my current double chin, it's discomforting (working on getting rid of it). Open back gives a preferred sound but leak as hell. On ears can be pocketable but still will bulge in my coat/jacket and can still be damaged/broken. Plus headcans cause too much unnecessary attention. I like to keep a lower profile when I wear expensive gear.
This leads back to my main point of contention when I try to place the Savant on my usage behavior. It's got good sound but I can't put them deep enough due to the shell body. Even with my spinfits I keep losing fit and seal (bass leaking). I don't know if it's due to the shell size/ innards ratio, but I'm not content with the isolation. I still can hear people talking over my music :frowning2:  Paying 2x for SLA custom fit to hope to fix those issue? Sorry no way Jose.

I'll post on the Plenue D thread once I get some free time. I really like that tiny gem.

Agree 100% on the driver wars thing. I didn't even know much about this until I noticed a trend on many IEM manufacturers websites where there were a range of IEM's, all classified according to how many drivers there were. I guess this is in part motivated by the general modern business practice regarding promotion/placement of products; always new and improved, some new technology or function or 'bigger and better' (or smaller and better lol). There's no use railing against it; it is what it is and we mostly all have bought into it, or at least find ourselves influenced by it, willingly or otherwise. And obviously, it works. Very well.
So manufacturers, especially small niche companies trying to make a living doing something they love can hardly be blamed for participating in this strategy, especially since the consumers all seem to buy into it or desire it too :p

On a more 'on topic' note, my main dispute (and the thing which inflamed this whole debate in the first place) is with the use of the phrase 'overhyped'.
Cagin is an excellent and valuable poster on Head-Fi (and I think met you bridfly at London CanJam on reception, but I could be mistaken; too many people and faces lol); I absolutely defend his right to express opinions, including those that are against the tide.
Loads of people have bought/listened to the DP-X1 and been delighted with it. Others haven't been, and bear in mind that the reason for satisfaction or otherwise may be based on a host of factors beyond that of sound quality alone (aesthetics, build quality, UI, funtionality etc).

My point is, if 100 users express happiness *overall* with the DP-X1 (niggles and concerns allowed for), but 20 others for any/all of the reasons above dislike it, does it make it overhyped?
If anyone says a product is "overhyped", it can come across as very arrogant or prescriptive, precisely because it's natural implication is to suggest that anyone who likes the prodcut has been fooled or is fooling themselves. This goes both ways of course. If 100 people dislike a product and 20 love it, neither experience should invalidate the experience of the other side.

Instead of talking about 'hype', why not just focus on simply whether you (meaning whoever is posting) like or dislike it and why?
Doing this in a way that makes allowance for other people's differing opinions and experiences makes for a positive and more informative thread.
I think on the whole, this DP-X1 thread has done that rather well. The only thing that derails matters is dogmatic "my truth is right, therefore yours must be mistaken/delusional" kinds of statements.

Good post. And I find it weird that the Wiz likes to tap into the K10 being #1 ciem rated when a critique arises. Not any other of the Noble lineup. Kaiser 10 has had the highest amount of BAs inside at the time no? Anyways, if it was as easy as just jamming BAs in there, we'd all also be subscribed to the thread about that Thai ciem company that has their flagship with 16 in it. And last time I checked, that thread didn't even exist yet. I don't judge an iem just by the SQ of its FR. Soundstage, separation, details of the spacial volume rendered by the decay, and I feel like the number of bores and drivers have a relation to that. I'd love to be explained otherwise. I'm all for learning, but till then, my Zeus XIV keeps stomping.

edit: I've said my piece about the Savant. Enoughfrom me, moving on :wink:
  These figures are good considering that the battery is 1/2 capacity of that in the X7.

Wonder how the DP X1 does when streaming Spotify or Tidal?

Not as simple as comparing mAh. The X7 has the desktop chip ES9018S and not 2x mobile version ES9018K2M. It's more power hungry.

Quote:

An easy mistake to make, no worries!
I thought you were all talking about an (over ear) headphone, so I wasn't really paying much attention lol
redface.gif

Then I clicked on the link to find a rather gorgeous looking set of IEMs!
Can anyone tell me a bit more about them? Were they designed with the DP-X1 in mind? Are they balanced or SE?
Intended sound signature? BA or Hybrid or what?
Number of drivers?
tongue_smile.gif

Yeah looking at the pics and the Onkyo page it's safe to say it isn't balanced. Its TRRS termination is for in-line microphone.

@ MQA:

I'm quite eager to get MQA working with the DP-X1. Just on the prospect of saving space on the cards. I'm hopeful it will spread out more and more amongst recording artists.
I've asked in Yaima's kickstarter for their 2nd album if they'd consider it, though I've also said I'd be more than content if they offered FLAC 24bit for downloading.
I wish for the USB DAC feature more than MQA. Curious how my Onkyo would fare against my aging Soundblaster X-FI card.

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #6,017 of 16,326
@Cagin
Yeah looking at the pics and the Onkyo page it's safe to say it isn't balanced. Its TRRS termination is for in-line microphone.

This is a new surprise why DAP has TRRS termination that is for IN-LINE microphone for???

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #6,018 of 16,326
Es9018S is a desktop type class DAC. It can create the Dynamic Range of 135 Db. Realistically speaking, in reality, human can hear upto 140 DB of Dynamic sound....however, it would inflict pains.

Beside this Dynamic range, the tunning process of the hardware will also play the most important part.

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #6,019 of 16,326
@Cagin

This is a new surprise why DAP has TRRS termination that is for IN-LINE microphone for???

Unless I'm misunderstanding your meaning, I believe you have this mixed up. The 2.5mm TRRS connection is most definitely balanced, and does not support an in-line microphone. 

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #6,020 of 16,326
Noob question:

Bluetooth aptX sends out higher quality signal than 3.5mm TRS in general/when I am streaming Spotify in Extreme Quality?

(I feel the need to lower the volume on DP-X1 when I stream Spotify in Extreme Quality via Bluetooth aptX onto my active Yamaha HS8 speakers via HomeSpot aptX Bluetooth Receiver and similarly, increase the volume when I shift back to 3.5mm TRS out onto the same speakers, AB-ing)

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #6,021 of 16,326
Noob question:

Bluetooth aptX sends out higher quality signal than 3.5mm TRS in general/when I am streaming Spotify in Extreme Quality?

(I feel the need to lower the volume on DP-X1 when I stream Spotify in Extreme Quality via Bluetooth aptX onto my active Yamaha HS8 speakers via HomeSpot aptX Bluetooth Receiver and similarly, increase the volume when I shift back to 3.5mm TRS out onto the same speakers, AB-ing)

The question wouldn't be the Bluetooth "connectivity"...if you are within the range...it always conduct better than wired connection. The question would be.

What kind of "drivers" your headphones have, and what kind of DAC+AMP inside your headphones is ?

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #6,023 of 16,326
The question wouldn't be the Bluetooth "connectivity"...if you are within the range...it always conduct better than wired connection. The question would be.

What kind of "drivers" your headphones have, and what kind of DAC+AMP inside your headphones is ?

I am not really sure about that. 
Here's an article that explains things briefly, 
http://www.cnet.com/news/can-aptx-give-you-better-sound-over-bluetooth/

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #6,024 of 16,326

So, within a healthy range, Bluetooth conducts better than a wired connection, if the same set of speakers (Yamaha HS8) are used in both the cases?

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #6,025 of 16,326

So, within a healthy range, Bluetooth conducts better than a wired connection, if the same set of speakers (Yamaha HS8) are used in both the cases?

I would be very skeptical if through the air ever beats wired direct, but I could be wrong.

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #6,026 of 16,326
  Can someone advise me on how to get better battery life out of the DP-X1? I cant believe that this thing only lasts for 3 plus hours on a change! Thx.

Are you leaving WiFi and Bluetooth on. I get at least 48 hours when not using for playback, and at least 8 hours of music (I play loud and frequently change material so screen goes on frequently).

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #6,027 of 16,326
  Can someone advise me on how to get better battery life out of the DP-X1? I cant believe that this thing only lasts for 3 plus hours on a change! Thx.

Mine lasts for most of the day, Haven't timed it but could be 12 hours.

I would turn off bluetooth, and wireless. You may have some running app eating up your juice as well. Are you  running third party apps?
Check your gain as well, I would think that high gain would use more power.

Good luck. 

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #6,028 of 16,326
  Noob question:

It simply means your HomeSpot aptX Bluetooth Receiver and your DAP aren't volume matched.
In your first scenario, you are using the amplifier on the HomeSpot aptX Bluetooth Receiver, and on the second you are using the internal amplifier of the DP-X1.
Volume has nothing to do with the distinction of bluetooth/wired.

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #6,029 of 16,326

It simply means your HomeSpot aptX Bluetooth Receiver and your DAP aren't volume matched.
In your first scenario, you are using the amplifier on the HomeSpot aptX Bluetooth Receiver, and on the second you are using the internal amplifier of the DP-X1.
Volume has nothing to do with the distinction of bluetooth/wired.

That makes it clear to me. Thank you for the lucid explanation. :)

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #6,030 of 16,326

*desperately fighting the urge to say "listen to it once a week only" *
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back