ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 2, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #6,046 of 16,326
Being that I couldn't get an answer about native lyric display on the dp-x1. I can tell anyone who may be interested that it indeed does display lyrics from id3 tags natively. I found it on accident. I was kind of bummed when I thought that it didn't.

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #6,047 of 16,326
I too am using HD650s se. They sound great as is. I hope you bought a balanced cable because an 3.5 to 2.5 will not work. I have one on the way from @peterek. If you don't care about having the cable sleeved I think he has one to sell right now.

He can put a sleeve on it, just ask him.

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #6,048 of 16,326
Being that I couldn't get an answer about native lyric display on the dp-x1. I can tell anyone who may be interested that it indeed does display lyrics from id3 tags natively. I found it on accident. I was kind of bummed when I thought that it didn't.

Why does it matter if lyrics show? I don't mean that as harsh as it may sound, but I always wonder how seeing the lyrics help. I get it for karaoke but when listening do people really read the lyrics?

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #6,049 of 16,326
I too am using HD650s se. They sound great as is. I hope you bought a balanced cable because an 3.5 to 2.5 will not work. I have one on the way from @peterek. If you don't care about having the cable sleeved I think he has one to sell right now.

I have purchased a ZY Hifi balanced cable from Amazon. I have several of their cables and they offer good quality for the price. Thank you for the offer. I do have a question - in unbalanced mode, is it only using 1 dac and 1 amp chip or dual dacs for the single ended output (one for each channel)?

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #6,050 of 16,326
I have purchased a ZY Hifi balanced cable from Amazon. I have several of their cables and they offer good quality for the price. Thank you for the offer. I do have a question - in unbalanced mode, is it only using 1 dac and 1 amp chip or dual dacs for the single ended output (one for each channel)?

I DAC, one amp based on what I understand.

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #6,052 of 16,326
i do. i also went through the trouble to put lyrics in a lot of my files. that's why i asked about it twice before i purchased. no one answered. so yeah, to some people it does matter. it's one thing i hated about the x-5.

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #6,054 of 16,326
  i do. i also went through the trouble to put lyrics in a lot of my files. that's why i asked about it twice before i purchased. no one answered. so yeah, to some people it does matter. it's one thing i hated about the x-5.

Cool, but what do you use the lyrics for? I'm actually curious. Removed as who cares how I get lyrics when I need them.

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #6,055 of 16,326
  Cool, but what do you use the lyrics for? I'm actually curious. For me, and I don't mean this applies to anybody else on earth but me, if I need to know the lyrics for a functional purpose I Google them. I can see how lyrics on a DAP might be really cool for amateur vocalists, or cover bands in a practical sense.

don't really use them for anything. just like to read along. always have. maybe it's a mental glitch. also it brings clarification. some words are just not heard right. i've had it change song meanings for me after i read what was really said. kind of like studying a song

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #6,056 of 16,326
  don't really use them for anything. just like to read along. always have. maybe it's a mental glitch. also it brings clarification. some words are just not heard right. i've had it change song meanings for me after i read what was really said. kind of like studyiing a song

Gotcha, makes sense from that perspective. Do you find that distracts you from listening to the music at all? It would distract me, but that is me and I'm in general easily distracted.

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #6,057 of 16,326
  Gotcha, makes sense from that perspective. Do you find that distracts you from listening to the music at all? It would distract me, but that is me and I'm in general easily distracted.

i am too. i don't have to have lyrics to enjoy a song. it just brings an additional element to the listening experience. for example, before i really got into tool i heard stinkfist 100s of times. seen the video more time than i can count. on mtv it was listed as "track #2". when i actually started listening to them i got the lyrics and read along. then it was like a , 'wait? what?' moment.

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #6,058 of 16,326
  i am too. i don't have to have lyrics to enjoy a song. it just brings an additional element to the listening experience. for example, before i really got into tool i heard stinkfist 100s of times. seen the video more time than i can count. on mtv it was listed as "track #2". when i actually started listening to them i got the lyrics and read along. then it was like a , 'wait? what?' moment.

Love Stinkfist (tried to play it on the drums many times). For sure, I will do that when I really want to understand the song as often reading the lyrics (not while listening for me) helps figure out the cryptic meaning in many songs I listen to.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #6,059 of 16,326
I received the DP-X1 from PJ today but forgot to order the leather case which was stupid of me.  I ordered one separately from Ebay as I believe it is a very important to have one.  Right now I am using it with the Sennheiser HD650 unbalanced. No distortion with the volume all the way up to 160.  I have a 2.5mm TRRS to 4 pole XLR adapter coming from Ebay. I could not find one locally on sale so I will have to wait.  The single output is capable of driving the HD650s so I can't wait to hear how the balanced out sounds. I have a Cowon Plenue P1 that I like very much since I liked the laid back sound of BB, but I needed a DAP that has a good interface and capable of running Tidal.  The Cowon P1 has virtually no listening fatigue.   I also have the Ibasso DX100 with the original 9018 ESS chip and I think the Onkyo sounds better but last time I listened to the DX100 was a few weeks ago.  The DX100 has good sound but I cannot stand the interface -  I am thinking about selling it off one of these days since I don't use it much. In comparison to the Oppo HA2 portable dac/amp (uses the same ESS chip),  well it just isn't on the same level as the Onkyo.   I have also listened to the LG V10 with the single ESS chip and although it sounds good, I didn't like the design of the phone to warrant purchasing it, also not on the same level as the Onkyo.  The volume dial is very ergonomic and functional.  All in all, an excellent purchase.

You can Email Kaneda at PJ and they will let you tack on a case. I just did this a couple days ago

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #6,060 of 16,326
Folder browsing is a Godsend. Enjoying the DPX1 like never before.

Balanced mode really takes the soundstage and imaging up a step.

Sorry I'm regurgitating known information but yeah, keep your cable-maker on speed-dial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back