One More Reason to Dislike PayPal
Jan 5, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #16 of 44
I've deleted my PayPal account. I've had enough of their business practices. 

PayPal is interested in taking your money and nothing else. The customer doesn't matter AT ALL to them.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #17 of 44

Quote:

PayPal is interested in taking your money and nothing else. The customer doesn't matter AT ALL to them.

Oh, the buyer does!  As mentioned before they screw the seller every time for the buyer's benefit, because sellers have no other choice but to accept PayPal.  The system is biased towards payment methods that favor the buyer, and because it's the sellers that have to be set up to take payment via the method(s) that the buyer wants, switching to an alternative is nigh-impossible for small sellers.

But I agree, this is absolutely ridiculous.  With something worth that much - especially something irreplaceable - not having a third party appraisal (after the fact) is a figurative (if not legal) crime.  Fraud on the part of the seller, however, would be a real crime - the police ought to have been involved from the very start.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #19 of 44

Quote:

She said she had it authenticated by a luthier too.

Yeah, but it's not clear who did it...  I'm not saying the appraisal/authentication wasn't, well, authentic, but it's important to consider that as a possibility.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #21 of 44
Forget about PayPal, I'm blown away by the fact that someone would intentionally destroy a violin like that, for any reason. I wouldn't call that PayPal's fault, it's the fault of the moron who followed their advice. Whoever bought the violin obviously had no interest in the violin itself.

It's unbelievable that there are people who are capable of destroying fine hand-made instruments and being proud of it, and as cheesy as it sounds, I'm sad for that violin - no instrument deserves a fate like that, it should be making music for someone somewhere.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #22 of 44

Quote:
Forget about PayPal, I'm blown away by the fact that someone would intentionally destroy a violin like that, for any reason. I wouldn't call that PayPal's fault, it's the fault of the moron who followed their advice. Whoever bought the violin obviously had no interest in the violin itself.

It's unbelievable that there are people who are capable of destroying fine hand-made instruments and being proud of it, and as cheesy as it sounds, I'm sad for that violin - no instrument deserves a fate like that, it should be making music for someone somewhere.

I agree 100%.

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #23 of 44

Quote:

Yes, it is a real tragedy.  I can't believe someone would actually do this to what is most likely an irreplaceable historical artifact without consulting a professional themselves.  I don't think if you can necessarily say it is lack of interest/caring without a doubt - stupidity can easily be the overriding factor, but inevitably it is no single factor but a combination of many that would result in something like this happening.

But this is only a single incidence brought to light - who knows what else has been destroyed mistakenly?  This is just as important on a wider scale as it is regarding this single tragedy.

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #24 of 44
https://cms.paypal.com/al/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/BuyerProtComp_full

"Sellers: As a seller you are liable to PayPal if you lose a Claim from a buyer with a PayPal account registered anywhere in the world. This includes, without limitation, where you sell to a buyer who is a Full Program User and the buyer files a SNAD Claim, in which case you will generally be required to accept the item back and refund the buyer the full purchase price plus original shipping costs. You will not receive a refund on your PayPal fees. If you lose a Significantly Not as Described Claim because the item you sold is counterfeit, you will be required to provide a full refund to the buyer and you will not receive the item back (it will be destroyed)."

...and what if the buyer destroyed their own personal counterfeit as evience, and keeps or sells the $2,500 original?

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #26 of 44
Methinks the violin story falls somewhere between pure BS and urban myth.   Regretsy.com?   Such a trusted source. 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #27 of 44

Quote:
https://cms.paypal.com/al/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/BuyerProtComp_full

"Sellers: As a seller you are liable to PayPal if you lose a Claim from a buyer with a PayPal account registered anywhere in the world. This includes, without limitation, where you sell to a buyer who is a Full Program User and the buyer files a SNAD Claim, in which case you will generally be required to accept the item back and refund the buyer the full purchase price plus original shipping costs. You will not receive a refund on your PayPal fees. If you lose a Significantly Not as Described Claim because the item you sold is counterfeit, you will be required to provide a full refund to the buyer and you will not receive the item back (it will be destroyed)."

...and what if the buyer destroyed their own personal counterfeit as evience, and keeps or sells the $2,500 original?

I was thinking just the same. Too many loopholes with the system.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #29 of 44
lol i didn't know what a luthier was until i read this lol.

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #30 of 44
He should have lit it on fire and danced around it in a straw skirt.

Why are you guys getting so worked up? I'm sure there's another side to this story (one that makes more sense), and even if there isn't, the guy isn't at fault. 

Quote:

You sure showed them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back