Official X3 1st gen firmware thread--3.34beta: removed 5800 song limit, play through folders--Happy Chinese New Year!
Nov 13, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #31 of 921
I've used platypus to make my script into a droplet for Mac. If you put your µSD in your Mac and drop a folder on this droplet, it will create a playlist in that folder comprising all the flac files in it's sub-folders. My card is arranged Artist->Album->Tracks so I've used this to create a playlist for each artist inside the Artist directory. All the links are "relative" which means you can move the folder, but NOT things inside it (including the playlist itself). I'm not sure how useful it is, but I did it for me, and it seems a shame not to share.

Any special requests, let me know, and I'll see what I can do - though I worked out how to create a playlist from guess work - hence the script - so it may take a while to work out how to do some things.

And @originalsnuffy , sorry, I haven't used Windows for years so I can't help 
triportsad.gif

D'oh. I don't have permissions for attachments. So here is a dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvhq0uf3o128zjw/Playlist%20Droplet.app.zip?dl=0

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #32 of 921
Great work by Fiio , the sound from X3 just get better , warmer ,smooth listening and like listening in a concert ! Looking forward for fiio x7 .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #33 of 921
OP updated with extra info about using creating and using M3U playlists. :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 13, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #34 of 921
I created a playlist on the device which worked perfectly. So I decided to try creating one on my computer. I wanted to copy the playlist over using a card reader (no cable to hand) so I removed the card from the X3. However, I suspect that the X3 didn't flush all the changes to the card because now my card is corrupted.

Is there a way to sync changes to the card before removing it? I had switched the X3 off before removing the card, which is all I have ever done before removing the card, but then I had never created a playlist before... 

The card is a 128GB one, formatted in exFAT.

Hello tjw321,

Does the computer prompt you to "scan and fix" the card? Is it possible to "ignore" or answer "cancel" to the prompt and continue reading the card?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #35 of 921
Hello tjw321,

Does the computer prompt you to "scan and fix" the card? Is it possible to "ignore" or answer "cancel" to the prompt and continue reading the card?

I'm on a Mac. It just tells me that I need to reformat the card, and then mounts it read-only to let me copy the files off. It's happened 3 times now. I recover the card by borrowing my Wife's windows laptop and scanning and fixing on there. Oddly, the Windows machine didn't complain at all, but I opted to manually scan the card, and that fixed it for the Mac. Actually, one time I did do a repair on the Mac even though the initial message implies that you can't, and that seemed to work too.

There is a possibility that it is the Mac's fault. I'm using it for work ATM, but I'll try rebooting later and see if that helps.

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #38 of 921
It's beta everything including the FiiO firmware at your end :xf_eek:

I've pointed out your possible problem with the beta firmware to FiiO.

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #40 of 921
Just some more info about playlists that hopefully can help folks out.

The x3 uses A: as the internal folder, and B: as the sd card.

The #extm3u or whatever Joe mentioned isn't necessary on the x3

Basically what I did was: create a playlist in Musicbee. Then I exported it as an external playlist using the relative paths option. Afterwards I used a text editor to change the drive letters (Musicbee calls the x3 drives F: and H: on my machine. Easy enough to change using find & replace)

Should all work after that. However I find it best to keep the playlists on the sd card - I created a playlists folder to store em in. Using the database playlist entry gives all the playlists have a generic "playlist #" name and there really is no way to tell which is which, and I haven't figured out how to change the names.

Cheers.

Some corrections...The above directions are for auto-playlists, and don't use relative paths. For normal playlists, Musicbee has a setting in the device prefs that will let it append the playlists with the drive letter of choice and no text edit is necessary

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #41 of 921
I'm on a Mac. It just tells me that I need to reformat the card, and then mounts it read-only to let me copy the files off. It's happened 3 times now. I recover the card by borrowing my Wife's windows laptop and scanning and fixing on there. Oddly, the Windows machine didn't complain at all, but I opted to manually scan the card, and that fixed it for the Mac. Actually, one time I did do a repair on the Mac even though the initial message implies that you can't, and that seemed to work too.

There is a possibility that it is the Mac's fault. I'm using it for work ATM, but I'll try rebooting later and see if that helps.

There is the very real possibility that the card does have a problem and that the Mac is more tolerant. I would consider backing it up; formatting it with a windows utility that marks bad blocks, and load it up again.

I have had problems along those lines in the past. In the case of hard drives, it was a sign that the drive was in pre-failure mode.

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #42 of 921
Installed 3.22b this morning.

Happy to see gapless fixed.

Very sad to see that the X3 STILL FORGETS what song I was playing when I turn it off.

I tried many different things: Player plugged in, turn off then on - forgot. Player on battery - same thing.

The only track it remembered was 1 LARGE flac file (A full CD in 1 file as opposed to being split up) - This track was ALWAYS remembered - even with OLD firmware!

Any Folder with groups of files it forgets. I had it remember ONCE - and the other 5-6 times I turned on and off - Back to the dreaded start screen.

I even tried to update the media library again!

I use my X3 in my car - and I do appointment based work - so I am in and out of the car a lot during the day - and don't always remember which track or which position I was at when I got out of the car - so this feature is CRITICAL to me!

If there are any other ideas out there to make this work please let me know!

I Feel like selling my X3 and getting something that can do something as simple as play a song and then KEEP playing that song.

My CD Changers are seeming much more appealing now... they never forget, and when 1 CD is done, they actually GO TO THE NEXT CD automatically!

Hell, I have a big FLAC collection now, perfect to burn to straight audio CD at full quality!

#Onlythesimplestplaybackfeaturesleftbehind

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #44 of 921
  Installed 3.22b this morning.

Happy to see gapless fixed.

Very sad to see that the X3 STILL FORGETS what song I was playing when I turn it off.

I tried many different things: Player plugged in, turn off then on - forgot. Player on battery - same thing.

The only track it remembered was 1 LARGE flac file (A full CD in 1 file as opposed to being split up) - This track was ALWAYS remembered - even with OLD firmware!

Any Folder with groups of files it forgets. I had it remember ONCE - and the other 5-6 times I turned on and off - Back to the dreaded start screen.

I even tried to update the media library again!

I use my X3 in my car - and I do appointment based work - so I am in and out of the car a lot during the day - and don't always remember which track or which position I was at when I got out of the car - so this feature is CRITICAL to me!

If there are any other ideas out there to make this work please let me know!

I Feel like selling my X3 and getting something that can do something as simple as play a song and then KEEP playing that song.

My CD Changers are seeming much more appealing now... they never forget, and when 1 CD is done, they actually GO TO THE NEXT CD automatically!

Hell, I have a big FLAC collection now, perfect to burn to straight audio CD at full quality!

#Onlythesimplestplaybackfeaturesleftbehind

It works for me. What have you set "Resume Mode" to? I have it set to "Last Song".

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #45 of 921

There is the very real possibility that the card does have a problem and that the Mac is more tolerant. I would consider backing it up; formatting it with a windows utility that marks bad blocks, and load it up again.

I have had problems along those lines in the past. In the case of hard drives, it was a sign that the drive was in pre-failure mode.

I wondered about that. But rebooting the Mac seems to have "fixed it" (for now). I tried to deliberately provoke the problem and couldn't, which is no proof, but the Mac is mounting the card a lot faster. I've noticed a bit of flakiness with my firewire drive recently. Maybe that is about to fail (it is pretty old) or maybe this OSX beta has some problems with external drives in general.

I'll keep an eye on it for a while - there is nothing irreplaceable on the SD card so it's not too big a risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back