Official X3 1st gen firmware thread--3.34beta: removed 5800 song limit, play through folders--Happy Chinese New Year!
Nov 13, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #46 of 921
With 3.21b - I tried Last Song AND Last Position - both failed.

With 3.22 - I have just tried Last Position - which worked about 60% of the time on 3.0 - and now only about 10% of the time.

Some people suggested that the way files are TAGGED can cause issues with this working.

But that is the irony, because the X3 doesn't automatically go to the next CD when one CD is finished playing.

So someone suggested that I go through my CD groups and put ALL files into one folder and name them: 101 - xxx.flac, 102 - xxx.flac, 201, 301 etc for the different CDs.

So now it is possible that my fix for ONE flaw in the X3, is now bringing out the OTHER flaw.

Look, EQ is nice and all, but you have to get the CORE playback and functionality of your device 100% FIRST. THEN add on the extras and 'would be nice' things.

Mr. Trev - You say most of the time - but you have to keep in mind that my X3 is going on and off repeatedly throughout the day when I am stopping at appointments. So even if it worked 80% of the time, that would be at least one fail per day if the unit goes on and off 5 times.

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #47 of 921
  Installed 3.22b this morning.

Happy to see gapless fixed.

Very sad to see that the X3 STILL FORGETS what song I was playing when I turn it off.

I tried many different things: Player plugged in, turn off then on - forgot. Player on battery - same thing.

The only track it remembered was 1 LARGE flac file (A full CD in 1 file as opposed to being split up) - This track was ALWAYS remembered - even with OLD firmware!

Any Folder with groups of files it forgets. I had it remember ONCE - and the other 5-6 times I turned on and off - Back to the dreaded start screen.

I even tried to update the media library again!

I use my X3 in my car - and I do appointment based work - so I am in and out of the car a lot during the day - and don't always remember which track or which position I was at when I got out of the car - so this feature is CRITICAL to me!

If there are any other ideas out there to make this work please let me know!

I Feel like selling my X3 and getting something that can do something as simple as play a song and then KEEP playing that song.

My CD Changers are seeming much more appealing now... they never forget, and when 1 CD is done, they actually GO TO THE NEXT CD automatically!

Hell, I have a big FLAC collection now, perfect to burn to straight audio CD at full quality!

#Onlythesimplestplaybackfeaturesleftbehind

it never forget a song when power off and on again because of remember last song remember option in play settings .... try  to update your library again and use it 
if you mean the path of the song or so .... try to make the idle power off in settings (off) it will keep x3 on all the time in your day but the screen is off .. X3 can hold its charge all the day when not playing ... or playing from the line out 
cool.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #48 of 921
  With 3.21b - I tried Last Song AND Last Position - both failed.

With 3.22 - I have just tried Last Position - which worked about 60% of the time on 3.0 - and now only about 10% of the time.

Some people suggested that the way files are TAGGED can cause issues with this working.

But that is the irony, because the X3 doesn't automatically go to the next CD when one CD is finished playing.

So someone suggested that I go through my CD groups and put ALL files into one folder and name them: 101 - xxx.flac, 102 - xxx.flac, 201, 301 etc for the different CDs.

So now it is possible that my fix for ONE flaw in the X3, is now bringing out the OTHER flaw.

Look, EQ is nice and all, but you have to get the CORE playback and functionality of your device 100% FIRST. THEN add on the extras and 'would be nice' things.

Mr. Trev - You say most of the time - but you have to keep in mind that my X3 is going on and off repeatedly throughout the day when I am stopping at appointments. So even if it worked 80% of the time, that would be at least one fail per day if the unit goes on and off 5 times.

I would have thought that putting all your files in one folder would make remembering the last played file MORE difficult, not less, since the X3 restores all the files which are lined up to be played. I just did an experiment of creating a playlist with all 4,000 of my tracks on my SD card and testing whether the X3 could remember the last song when played from that list. And it worked, but it was slow to turn off. It turned on more quickly than I was expecting, though.
This suggests to me that it is writing every song in the current list of songs to be played (i.e. the folder when browsing) to some slow memory somewhere. If you have every song in a single folder, it has to write quite a lot of data to some memory somewhere which probably isn't huge. Maybe your'e exceeding some capacity somewhere?

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #49 of 921

Funny you mention that, cause I would say mine does remember about 80% of the time. Probably turn off and on around 3 times a day. Seems like the few times it does forget is when I use the sleep function

it never forget a song when power off and on again because of remember last song remember option in play settings .... try  to update your library again and use it 
if you mean the path of the song or so .... try to make the idle power off in settings (off) it will keep x3 on all the time in your day but the screen is off .. X3 can hold its charge all the day when not playing ... or playing from the line out 
cool.gif

If the battery can hold a charge for the whole day it might be worth turning off the idle time. If it doesn't turn off it can't forget, I suppose.

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #50 of 921
Please upload the FW somewhere else. MediaFire is super slow (normally it's fine for me). My first download was corrupt and took about one hour.
Thanks in advance!

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #51 of 921
Are you serious??? You can turn idle time out OFF??

I remember asking this a YEAR ago when I first got the player with firmware 2.xx and nobody responded directly to it.

That I can handle...... Leaving the player on all day is fine by me - since it charges when the car is on, it shouldn't be a problem.... then all I have to do is take a peek where I am at the END of the day - not every time I get out of the car...

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #53 of 921
  Are you serious??? You can turn idle time out OFF??

I remember asking this a YEAR ago when I first got the player with firmware 2.xx and nobody responded directly to it.

That I can handle...... Leaving the player on all day is fine by me - since it charges when the car is on, it shouldn't be a problem.... then all I have to do is take a peek where I am at the END of the day - not every time I get out of the car...

Ouch...that coulda saved you alot of aggravation. Just go into sys. settings and turn power off down to zero/off.

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #55 of 921
I created a m3u file in MediaMonkey using the Export/Create Playlists add on since MM includes the full path on playlists by default and it can't be changed. MM only creates m3u files (not m3u8). The playlist does contain #EXTM3U as the first line.

I created an m3u file for all of the songs on my external sd card (8200 320kb mp3s and Flac, 128 gb) and I am able to navigate to the file. When I load it, the X3 freezes for about 5 minutes, then turns off.  The file is 842 kb.  Is there a limit on file size?

I then downloaded foobar 2000 and created an m3u8 file.  Again, when I load it, and increase the idle time off of the X3, I can get the play list to load but it takes awhile.  The file is half of the size of the MM file (481 kb).

I can live with using Foobar for this but I am curious as to the limitations.

Thanks,

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #56 of 921
So I've been swapping my card in and out of the X3 and my earlier problem was definitely not the X3's fault. Rebooting the Mac has cleared up all the card "errors" which were clearly just being misreported.

But I have found some inconsistencies with the handling of / versus \ in the m3u files. If you use / in the paths, relative paths work providing you don't start them with "..". I couldn't get absolute paths to work but I'm not sure that B: references the SD card. If it does, then absolute paths don't work with / (maybe prefixing with B:\ and then keeping / everywhere else would have worked). I worked around this by using \ in all my relative paths - but this is painful for Mac and Unix users. Absolute paths will never work without manual intervention but it would be good to get "../" recognised.

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #57 of 921
  So I've been swapping my card in and out of the X3 and my earlier problem was definitely not the X3's fault. Rebooting the Mac has cleared up all the card "errors" which were clearly just being misreported.

But I have found some inconsistencies with the handling of / versus \ in the m3u files. If you use / in the paths, relative paths work providing you don't start them with "..". I couldn't get absolute paths to work but I'm not sure that B: references the SD card. If it does, then absolute paths don't work with / (maybe prefixing with B:\ and then keeping / everywhere else would have worked). I worked around this by using \ in all my relative paths - but this is painful for Mac and Unix users. Absolute paths will never work without manual intervention but it would be good to get "../" recognised.

I'm on windows, so here's a couple examples of one of my playlists:
 a:\Music\Stam1na\SLK\03 - Panzerfaust.flac
 b:\Music\Rich Aucoin\Ephemeral\05 - They Say Obey.flac
I can see how the / vs. \ can be annoying. Would it be possible to just use a mac based text editor to just do a search and replace?

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #58 of 921
  I'm on windows, so here's a couple examples of one of my playlists:
 a:\Music\Stam1na\SLK\03 - Panzerfaust.flac
 b:\Music\Rich Aucoin\Ephemeral\05 - They Say Obey.flac
I can see how the / vs. \ can be annoying. Would it be possible to just use a mac based text editor to just do a search and replace?

It actually is not a problem for me at all since I use scripts to create my playlists, and just do the replacement automatically ("piped through sed"). But I would expect that most people are using GUI based tools and would find it harder to diagnose the problem. And it would be a shame for Fiio to have made the effort to recognise / instead of \, and handling Mac/Unix end of line, but to miss handling ../. So you are correct - a simple search and replace in a text editor would almost certainly work.

Thanks for the info regarding the drive names. I tried B:/ (probably) and ../ at some point but I don't think I tried b:\ once I realised that ..\ would work for my purposes. After playing with playlists for a bit I'm starting to think that absolute ones are more useful (contrary to my initial thoughts!) and I'll be making use of that soon. 
beerchug.gif

Do you (or anyone else, for that matter) know if the X3 makes use of the EXTINF lines? I just see the full line of text in the path entry on the X3 screen no matter what I've tried so far in the EXTINF line.

Nov 15, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #59 of 921

Do you (or anyone else, for that matter) know if the X3 makes use of the EXTINF lines? I just see the full line of text in the path entry on the X3 screen no matter what I've tried so far in the EXTINF line.

This is another difference between / and \ in the path names of the entries in the playlist file. Using \ just displays the filename, using / displays the whole path.

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #60 of 921
Sorry everyone, I seem to be taking over this thread, but OTOH I am exercising the new playlist functionality quite a bit...

So, I'm now using \ instead of / because there are too many things that aren't yet working with /, and I can now get most things to work. My current problem is files with question marks in. e.g. The Smiths' "How Soon is Now?.flac". Currently the X3 will just skip to the next track when it gets to one of these so I'm guessing that the '?' has to be escaped somehow. Anyone know how?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back